April 25, 2014
CARY, N.C. -
The fourth-ranked Virginia men's tennis team began its quest for an eighth consecutive ACC Tournament title with a 4-0 quarterfinal victory over No. 30 Florida State Friday at the Cary Tennis Park. The top-seeded Cavaliers (21-2) advance to the ACC semifinals for the 11th consecutive year, while the Seminoles fall to 18-11.
Virginia will play Notre Dame in a semifinal match Saturday at 11 a.m.
"There was beautiful weather and it was a great way to get started in the ACC Tournament," said head coach Brian Boland. "I always say that the first match of a tournament is always the hardest and we have a lot of respect for Florida State, so we knew we had to be ready to go. Doubles got us off to a good start and gave us a lot of momentum into singles. We feel good about how we are playing and are looking forward to another good match tomorrow."
The Cavaliers took the early lead by winning the doubles point. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Harrison Richmond (Pawleys Island, S.C.) topped Michael Rinaldi and Grayson Goldin 8-3 at the No. 2 position. At No. 1, Luca Corinteli (Alexandria, Va.) and Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) jumped out to a 4-0 lead and downed Dominic Cotrone and Marco Nunez 8-5 to clinch the opening point.
In singles, the Cavaliers won five of the six sets to take control of the match. Domijan wasted little time extending the lead to 2-0 with a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 1 over Cotrone. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski followed with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Goldin at No. 5 singles. Ryan Shane (Falls Church, Va.) clinched the win with his 6-3, 6-4 victory at No. 3 over Nunez.
The win extended Virginia's ACC-record win streak to 119 straight victories over conference opponents. It was also the Cavaliers' 22nd consecutive win in the ACC Tournament.
#4 VIRGINIA 4, #30 FLORIDA STATE 0
1. #54 Corinteli/Styslinger (UVa) def. Cotrone/Nunez (FSU) 8-5
2. #74 Domijan/Richmond (UVa) def. Rinaldi/Goldin (FSU) 8-3
3. Frank/J.Shane (UVa) led Davis/Gonzalez (FSU) 7-6 DNF
Order of Finish: 2,1
1. #14 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #72 Dominic Cotrone (FSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. #4 Mitchell Frank (UVa) led Cristian Gonzalez (FSU) 6-4, 2-2 DNF
3. #47 Ryan Shane (UVa) def. Marco Nunez (FSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. #80 Mac Styslinger (UVa) led Blake Davis (FSU) 6-4, 3-0 DNF
5. #115 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Grayson Goldin (FSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Jake Albo (FSU) led J.C. Aragone (UVa) 6-4, 0-2 DNF
Order of Finish: 1,5,3