April 26, 2014
CARY, N.C. -
The fourth-ranked Virginia men's tennis posted its second shutout of the 2014 ACC Tournament, downing No. 13 Notre Dame 4-0 in a semifinal match Saturday at the Cary Tennis Park. The Cavaliers (22-2) advanced to their 11th consecutive ACC Tournament final and will look for their eighth straight title, 10th overall, on Sunday against either Duke or North Carolina. The Fighting Irish, playing in their inaugural ACC Tournament, dropped to 19-9 with the loss.
"The guys came out ready to play today and had a lot of composure throughout the match," said head coach Brian Boland. "They stayed focused and were able to get a win over a great Notre Dame team that gave us a couple of tough matches earlier in the year. We are happy to have the opportunity to play in another ACC final and look forward to a great match tomorrow."
The Cavaliers jumped out to an early leading by winning the doubles point. Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) and Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) cruised to an 8-1 win at No. 3 over Eric Schnurrenberger and Matt Dooley. Luca Corinteli (Alexandria, Va.) and Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) clinched the point with an 8-2 win at No. 1 over Alex Lawson and Quentin Monaghan.
In singles, the Cavaliers didn't drop a set en route to the shutout victory. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (Charlotte, N.C.) rolled to a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Eddy Covalschi at No. 5. Justin Shane extended the lead with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 6 over Schnurrenberger. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) sealed the win with a 6-3, 6-4 victory at No. 1 over Greg Andrews. The victory was the 99th career dual match singles win for Domijan, tying the school record set by Sanam Singh (2008-11).
The win extended Virginia's ACC-record win streak to 120 straight victories over conference opponents. It was also the Cavaliers' 23rd consecutive win in the ACC Tournament.
The ACC final between the Cavaliers and either Duke or North Carolina will begin at 11 a.m. Sunday at the Cary Tennis Park.
#4 VIRGINIA 4, #13 NOTRE DAME 0
1. #54 Corinteli/Styslinger (UVa) def. Lawson/Monaghan (ND) 8-2
2. #74 Domijan/Richmond (UVa) led Andrews/Hagar (ND) 6-2 DNF
3. Frank/J.Shane (UVa) def. Schnurrenberger/Dooley (ND) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,1
1. #14 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #23 Greg Andrews (ND) 6-3, 6-4
2. #4 Mitchell Frank (UVa) led Quentin Monaghan (ND) 6-3, 2-1 DNF
3. #47 Ryan Shane (UVa) led Ryan Bandy (ND) 6-4, 0-1 DNF
4. #80 Mac Styslinger (UVa) led Josh Hagar (ND) 7-5, 2-1 DNF
5. #115 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Eddy Covalschi (ND) 6-1, 6-0
6. Justin Shane (UVa) def. Eric Schnurrenberger (ND) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5,6,1