The No. 5 Virginia men’s tennis team opened ACC player Sunday with a 7-0 victory over No. 74 Maryland at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The win kept the Cavalier undefeated on the season (8-0) and extended their ACC winning streak to 32 consecutive matches (regular season and tournament).
“It always feels good to open up ACC play with a victory,” said Virginia head coach Brian Boland. “It was good to keep our momentum going as we head into National Indoors next weekend. It will be a great chance to see how we stack up against the 16 best teams in the country.”
Virginia took the doubles point by sweeping all three matches. Dominic Inglot (London, England) and Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) scored a ranked win at No. 1 doubles, topping No. 37 Andrew Orban and Boris Fetbroyt 8-4. Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) and Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) scored an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles over David Kwon and Nickolai Nielsen. Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) and Lee Singer (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) completed the sweep with their 8-5 win over Alex Aksanov and Mathias Sarrazin at the No. 3 position.
In singles, the Cavaliers won all six matches in straight sets. David Nguyen (Columbia, Md.) made the score 2-0 as he cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 win over Roshan Potarazu at No. 6 singles. Shabaz recorded a 6-1, 6-4 win over Nielsen at No. 3 singles to make the score 3-0. Singh clinched the win with his 6-1, 6-1 win over Orban, followed seconds by Inglot’s 6-3, 6-2 win over Kwon at the top spot. Barrick downed Fetbroyt 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4 singles and Singer topped Sarrazin 6-2, 6-4 at No. 5 singles to complete the sweep.
The Cavaliers will look to defend their ITA National Team Indoor crown next weekend in Chicago. The tournament features the nation’s top 16 teams and runs Friday-Monday. The draw will be announced on Tuesday.
No. 5 Virginia 7, No. 74 Maryland 0
1. #27 Inglot/Shabaz (UVa) def. #37 Orban/Fetbroyt (Md) 8-4
2. #3 Singh/Barrick (UVa) def. Kwon/Nielsen (Md) 8-3
3. Courtney/Singer (UVa) def. Aksanov/Sarrazin (Md) 8-5
1. #43 Dominic Inglot (UVa) def. David Kwon (Md) 6-3, 6-2
2. #24 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Andrew Orban (Md) 6-1, 6-1
3. #11 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. Nickolai Nielsen (Md) 6-1, 6-4
4. #68 Houston Barrick (UVa) def. Boris Fetbroyt (Md) 6-2, 6-2
5. #109 Lee Singer (UVa) def. Mathias Sarrazin (Md) 6-2, 6-4
6. David Nguyen (UVa) def. Roshan Potarazu (Md) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish