The second-ranked Virginia men's tennis team opened ACC play Wednesday with a 6-1 victory over No. 41 Maryland at the Tennis Center of College Park. The Cavaliers improve to 5-0 on the season with the win, while the Terrapins fall to 1-4.
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning a close doubles point. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) gave Virginia the early edge with an 8-3 win over Tommy Laine and Jan Surovic at the No. 2 position. Maryland drew even as Andy Magee and Jesse Kiuru defeated Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) 8-3 at No. 3 doubles. With the opening point on the line at No. 1 doubles, Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) and Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) edged Maros Horny and John Collins in a tiebreaker, 9-8, to give the Cavaliers the early lead in the dual match.
In singles, Virginia quickly doubled its lead as Domijan cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 over Sergio Wyss at the No. 2 spot. Jenkins added a 6-3, 6-1 win over Horny at No. 1 before Courtney clinched the win with his 7-5, 6-2 victory at No. 3 over Collins. Shane added a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 4 over Magee to make the score 5-0 before Kiuru got Maryland's lone point with a three-set win at No. 6 over Rooda. Uriguen closed out the match with a three-set win over Laine at No. 5 to make the final score 6-1.
The win was Virginia's 79th consecutive victory against ACC competition, extending its conference record.
Virginia will return to action when it hosts the 2012 ITA National Team Indoor Championships Feb. 17-20 at the Boar's Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers will look to win their unprecedented fifth consecutive NTI title.
#2 VIRGINIA 6, #41 MARYLAND 1
1. Jenkins/Courtney (UVa) def. #36 Collins/Horny (Md) 9-8
2. Domijan/Rooda (UVa) def. Laine/Surovic (Md) 8-3
3. Magee/Kiuru (Md) def. Shane/Uriguen (UVa) 8-3
1. #11 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Maros Horny (Md) 6-3, 6-1
2. Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Sergio Wyss (Md) 6-0, 6-0
3. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. John Collins (Md) 7-5, 6-2
4. #57 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Andy Magee (Md) 6-2, 6-1
5. Julen Uriguen (UVa) vs. Tommy Laine (Md)
6. Jesse Kiuru (Md) def. Steven Rooda (UVa) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
Order of Finish: