The No. 1 Virginia men’s tennis team remained undefeated on the season with a 4-3 victory over No. 25 Duke Friday at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers improve to 23-0 overall and 8-0 in the ACC with the victory, while the Blue Devils fall to 12-6 (5-3 ACC).
Duke took a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. It was only the second time all season that the Cavaliers lost the doubles point. Virginia got an 8-3 win at No. 3 from Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) and Lee Singer (Laguna Niguel, Calif.), but the Blue Devils scored wins at No. 1 and No. 2 to take the opening point.
The Cavaliers rallied in singles, winning five of the six first sets. Virginia evened the match as Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) topped Kiril Dimitrov 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2 singles. Dominic Inglot (London, England) gave the Cavaliers a 2-1 lead with his 7-6, 6-0 win at No. 1 over Reid Carleton. That advantage was extended to 3-1 as Courtney completed a 6-3, 7-5 win over Luke Marchese at No. 6 singles. After Duke had cut the lead to 3-2 with a win at No. 3 singles, Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) clinched the Cavalier win as he downed Jared Pinsky 6-3, 6-2 at No. 4 singles.
The win was also Virginia’s 39th consecutive win over an ACC opponent (regular season and tournament) and 46th consecutive home victory, extending both school records.
The Cavaliers will conclude the home portion of their regular season schedule on Sunday as they host North Carolina. Match time at the Snyder Tennis Center is 1 p.m. No. 1 Virginia 4, No. 25 Duke 3
1. Dimitrov/Michel (Duke) def. #6 Barrick/Singh (UVa) 9-8(7)
2. Arnould/Holland (Duke) def. #14 Inglot/Shabaz (UVa) 8-5
3. Singer/Courtney (UVa) def. Carpenter/Pinsky (Duke) 8-3
1. #17 Dominic Inglot (UVa) def. #38 Reid Carleton (Duke) 7-6(1), 6-0
2. #25 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. #55 Kiril Dimitrov (Duke) 6-2, 6-2
3. Dylan Arnould (Duke) def. #20 Michael Shabaz (UVa) 6-4, 6-3
4. #73 Houston Barrick (UVa) def. Jared Pinsky (Duke) 6-3, 6-2
5. Alain Michel (Duke) def. Steven Eelkman Rooda (UVa) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Luke Marchese (Duke)_6-3, 7-5
Order of Finish