CLEMSON, S.C. -
The second-ranked Virginia men's tennis team remained unbeaten in ACC play as it downed No. 66 Clemson 6-1 on Friday at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. The Cavaliers (18-1, 8-0 ACC) won their 11th straight match, while the Tigers fell to 8-11 overall, 4-4 in the conference.
The Cavaliers took the doubles point to open the match. Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) got Virginia started with an 8-5 win at No. 2 over Gerardo Meza and Zachary Rigsby. Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) followed with an 8-5 win at the top spot over Yannick Maden and Ayrton Wibowo to secure the opening point.
In singles, the Cavaliers quickly doubled their lead as Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) didn't drop a game in his win over Meza at the No. 2 spot. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) followed with a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 3 over Wibowo. Shane won the clinching match with his 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 4 over Dominique Maden.
The Tigers' lone point of the afternoon came at No. 6 where Rigsby defeated Philippe Oudshoorn (Adeldoorn, The Netherlands) 6-0, 6-4. Courtney added a third-set match-tiebreaker victory at No. 5 over Hunter Harrington and Jenkins downed Yannick Maden in straight sets at No. 1 to close out the 6-1 win for Virginia.
The win was Virginia's 86th consecutive victory against ACC competition, extending its conference record.
The Cavaliers will conclude its regular season road schedule on Saturday as they visit Georgia Tech. Match time in Atlanta is 3 p.m.
#2 VIRGINIA 6, #66 CLEMSON 1
1. #20 Courtney/Jenkins (UVa) def. Y.Maden/Wibowo (CU) 8-5
2. Rooda/Shane (UVa) def. Meza/Rigsby (CU) 8-5
3. D.Maden/Moran (CU) def. Domijan/Villegas (UVa) 8-6
1. #3 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. #66 Yannick Maden (CU) 7-5, 6-2
2. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Gerardo Meza (CU) 6-0, 6-0
3. #34 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Ayrton Wibowo (CU) 6-2, 6-3
4. #75 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Dominique Maden (CU) 6-3, 6-1
5. #124 Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Hunter Harrington (CU) 5-7, 7-6(2), 10-8
6. Zachary Rigsby (CU) def. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: