Fourteen of 21 wrestlers place in season-opening tournament
Atkinson, Gillen and Nye earn recognition for academic and athletic achievement
Five Cavaliers begin competition at Madison Square Garden Thursday morning
DiCamillo seeded sixth, Nye seeded 14th to lead Cavaliers
Cavaliers have five wrestlers headed to championship event at Madison Square Garden
• Advanced to the NCAA Championships for the second consecutive season
• Posted a 24-11 record wrestling at 157 pounds
• Delivered three tech falls, eight major decisions and one fall
• Opened the season 9-0 before his first loss at No. 5 Ohio State to Jake Ryan
• Finished first at the Clarion Open (11/1) to start the season
• Finished fourth at the Cliff Keen Invitational (12/5) with a 7-2 record
• Entered ACC competition with a 19-5 record
• Defeated No. 6 Cody Pack of South Dakota State in a 7-4 decision at Gopher Duals (11/7)
• Named to All-ACC Academic Team
• Named an NWCA All-Academic Selection
• Earned first NCAA Championships berth
• Automatic NCAA qualifier after runner-up finish at ACC Championships (3/8)
• Went 0-2 at NCAAs, losing a pair of decisions to seeded opponents – No. 12 Mitch Minotti of Lehigh (8-4) and No. 5 Cody Pack of South Dakota State (3-2)
• Ranked No. 31 in final RPI and No. 32 in final Coaches Poll rankings
• Placed fifth at Hokie Open (11/9)
• Went 3-1 at Virginia Duals (1/9-10)
• Named to NWCA All-Academic Team and ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Redshirt season
• Posted 16-3 record at 141 while wrestling unattached
• Competed in four open tournaments, placing in each
• Dominated his competition, as only two of his 19 matches were decided by three points or fewer (both losses)
• Won final nine matches of the season, capturing championships at Franklin & Marshall Open (1/4) and Appalachian State Open (1/25)
• Took runner-up honors at Mat Town Open (12/1)
• Placed sixth in first tournament, the Hokie Open (11/10)
LIBERTY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
• Five-time state placewinner, earning a top-4 standing each year
• Four-time place winner at prep nationals
• Two-time All-Area Wrestler of the Year
• Posted 238-13 career record
• Was team captain all five years
• Took third at NHSCA in 2012
• Placed third at Super 32 in 2011
• Coached by Paul Anthony at LCA
• Member of National Honor Society
• Parents are Steve and Cindy Atkinson
• Has one sister, Adelina, and one brother, Aaron
• Born in Bucharest, Romania
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
'Hoos Head Into Finals on High NoteMen's Basketball12/7/16No. 14 Virginia, which defeated East Carolina on Tuesday night, doesn't play again until Dec. 17, when Robert Morris visits JPJ.'Hoos Learn Painful Lessons in LossMen's Basketball12/3/16No. 6 Virginia's 24-game winning streak at John Paul Jones Arena ended Saturday with a 66-57 loss to No. 25 West Virginia.Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017Men's Soccer12/2/16The Virginia men's and women's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring more success for both.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Picks Up 34-11 Win At No. 24 Chattanooga
Wrestling | 12/4/2016
Virginia got a pair of tech falls and three pins in the first six matches Sunday on the way to a ...
Virginia Takes Down Gardner-Webb With 22-18 Victory
Wrestling | 12/2/2016
Virginia got bonus points in four of its five match wins on Friday as the Cavaliers defeated...
Virginia Travels To Gardner-Webb, No. 25 Chattanooga
Wrestling | 12/1/2016
The Virginia wrestling team hits the road this weekend for road dual matches at Gardner-Webb and ...
Mason Wins Title For Virginia At Mat Town Open
Wrestling | 11/27/2016
Senior Will Mason claimed the championship at 133 pounds to lead Virginia at the Mat Town Open on...
Virginia Competes At Mat Town Open On Sunday
Wrestling | 11/26/2016
Members of the Virginia wrestling team continue competition this weekend at the Mat Town Open...
Virginia Defeats Lock Haven and Maryland in Tri-Meet
Wrestling | 11/20/2016
The Virginia wrestling team defeated Lock Haven, 24-16, and Maryland, 22-13, in its first home...
Virginia Hosts Lock Haven, Maryland Sunday
Wrestling | 11/19/2016
Virginia hosts home competition for the first time this season Sunday, welcoming Lock Haven and...
Virginia Drops Dual Match At No. 17 Central Michigan
Wrestling | 11/13/2016
Virginia got wins from Ray Bethea, George DiCamillo and Jack Mueller on Sunday at No. 17 Central ...
- Online Stores