Atkinson, DiCamillo and Mueller grab bonus point victories to pace Cavalier offense
Mueller takes second while Atkinson and DiCamillo both take fourth
Fourteen of 21 wrestlers place in season-opening tournament
Atkinson, Gillen and Nye earn recognition for academic and athletic achievement
Five Cavaliers begin competition at Madison Square Garden Thursday morning
• Advanced to the NCAA Championships for the second consecutive season
• Posted a 24-11 record wrestling at 157 pounds
• Delivered three tech falls, eight major decisions and one fall
• Opened the season 9-0 before his first loss at No. 5 Ohio State to Jake Ryan
• Finished first at the Clarion Open (11/1) to start the season
• Finished fourth at the Cliff Keen Invitational (12/5) with a 7-2 record
• Entered ACC competition with a 19-5 record
• Defeated No. 6 Cody Pack of South Dakota State in a 7-4 decision at Gopher Duals (11/7)
• Named to All-ACC Academic Team
• Named an NWCA All-Academic Selection
• Earned first NCAA Championships berth
• Automatic NCAA qualifier after runner-up finish at ACC Championships (3/8)
• Went 0-2 at NCAAs, losing a pair of decisions to seeded opponents – No. 12 Mitch Minotti of Lehigh (8-4) and No. 5 Cody Pack of South Dakota State (3-2)
• Ranked No. 31 in final RPI and No. 32 in final Coaches Poll rankings
• Placed fifth at Hokie Open (11/9)
• Went 3-1 at Virginia Duals (1/9-10)
• Named to NWCA All-Academic Team and ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Redshirt season
• Posted 16-3 record at 141 while wrestling unattached
• Competed in four open tournaments, placing in each
• Dominated his competition, as only two of his 19 matches were decided by three points or fewer (both losses)
• Won final nine matches of the season, capturing championships at Franklin & Marshall Open (1/4) and Appalachian State Open (1/25)
• Took runner-up honors at Mat Town Open (12/1)
• Placed sixth in first tournament, the Hokie Open (11/10)
LIBERTY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
• Five-time state placewinner, earning a top-4 standing each year
• Four-time place winner at prep nationals
• Two-time All-Area Wrestler of the Year
• Posted 238-13 career record
• Was team captain all five years
• Took third at NHSCA in 2012
• Placed third at Super 32 in 2011
• Coached by Paul Anthony at LCA
• Member of National Honor Society
• Parents are Steve and Cindy Atkinson
• Has one sister, Adelina, and one brother, Aaron
• Born in Bucharest, Romania
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
'Hoos Find Winning Formula on RoadMen's Basketball1/14/17Led by senior London Perrantes and junior Marial Shayok, No. 19 Virginia defeated ACC rival Clemson 77-73 at Littlejohn Coliseum on Saturday.Salt Carving Out Niche at UVAMen's Basketball1/13/17Jack Salt, a redshirt sophomore from New Zealand, starts at center for No. 19 Virginia, which plays Saturday at ACC rival Clemson.Fong Helping Lead Cavaliers' ResurgenceSwimming & Diving1/10/17The UVA men's swimming & diving team, which hosts Virginia Tech this weekend at the Aquatic & Fitness Center, is ranked No. 15 nationally.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Cavaliers Down Lock Haven To Win Virginia Duals Silver...
Wrestling | 1/14/2017
The No. 24 Virginia (8-3) wrestling team defeated Lock Haven on Saturday to win the Silver...
Cavaliers Down The Citadel, Bucknell At Virginia Duals
Wrestling | 1/13/2017
The No. 24 Virginia (7-3) wrestling team defeated The Citadel and Bucknell at the Virginia Duals ...
Cavaliers Open Competition At Virginia Duals Friday
Wrestling | 1/12/2017
The Cavaliers open competition at the Virginia Duals on Friday morning, facing The Citadel and...
Cavalier Trio Places At Southern Scuffle
Wrestling | 1/2/2017
Jack Mueller finished second, while Andrew Atkinson and George DiCamillo both finished fourth in ...
Three Cavaliers Advance To Southern Scuffle Semifinals
Wrestling | 1/1/2017
Three Cavaliers went undefeated on day one at the Southern Scuffle to advance to Monday's...
Virginia Opens New Year At Prestigious Southern Scuffle
Wrestling | 12/31/2016
The No. 24 Virginia wrestling team opens the new year in competition, beginning two days of...
No. 24 Virginia Defeats George Mason 27-10
Wrestling | 12/21/2016
The No. 24 Virginia wrestling program picked up a neutral-site victory on Wednesday, defeating...
No. 24 Virginia Faces George Mason In Neutral Site Meet...
Wrestling | 12/20/2016
The No. 24 Virginia wrestling team faces George Mason on Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m. at the St. ...
- Online Stores