Cavalier grapplers excel in the classroom and achieve success on the mat
Four Cavaliers begin quest for NCAA Championship at Scottrade Center in St. Louis
DiCamillo leads group of podium finishers as four Cavaliers secure automatic NCAA bids
Atkinson, DiCamillo and Mueller grab bonus point victories to pace Cavalier offense
Mueller takes second while Atkinson and DiCamillo both take fourth
2015, 2016, 2017 NCAA Qualifier – 157 pounds
• NCAA qualifier at 157 pounds
• Third-place finish at ACC Championships with a 3-1 mark
• Posted a 20-12 mark on the season
• 157-pound champion at Clarion Open (11/6) to start the season
• Fourth-place finish at Southern Scuffle (1/2) with a 4-2 record
• Defeated No. 10 Jake Short of Minnesota in the run at the Southern Scuffle
• Nationally-ranked opponents accounted for 9-of-12 losses on the season
• Named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll for the fourth time
• Advanced to the NCAA Championships for the second consecutive season
• Posted a 24-11 record wrestling at 157 pounds
• Delivered three tech falls, eight major decisions and one fall
• Opened the season 9-0 before his first loss at No. 5 Ohio State to Jake Ryan
• Finished first at the Clarion Open (11/1) to start the season
• Finished fourth at the Cliff Keen Invitational (12/5) with a 7-2 record
• Entered ACC competition with a 19-5 record
• Defeated No. 6 Cody Pack of South Dakota State in a 7-4 decision at Gopher Duals (11/7)
• Named to All-ACC Academic Team
• Named an NWCA All-Academic Selection
• Earned first NCAA Championships berth
• Automatic NCAA qualifier after runner-up finish at ACC Championships (3/8)
• Went 0-2 at NCAAs, losing a pair of decisions to seeded opponents – No. 12 Mitch Minotti of Lehigh (8-4) and No. 5 Cody Pack of South Dakota State (3-2)
• Ranked No. 31 in final RPI and No. 32 in final Coaches Poll rankings
• Placed fifth at Hokie Open (11/9)
• Went 3-1 at Virginia Duals (1/9-10)
• Named to NWCA All-Academic Team and ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Redshirt season
• Posted 16-3 record at 141 while wrestling unattached
• Competed in four open tournaments, placing in each
• Dominated his competition, as only two of his 19 matches were decided by three points or fewer (both losses)
• Won final nine matches of the season, capturing championships at Franklin & Marshall Open (1/4) and Appalachian State Open (1/25)
• Took runner-up honors at Mat Town Open (12/1)
• Placed sixth in first tournament, the Hokie Open (11/10)
LIBERTY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
• Five-time state placewinner, earning a top-4 standing each year
• Four-time place winner at prep nationals
• Two-time All-Area Wrestler of the Year
• Posted 238-13 career record
• Was team captain all five years
• Took third at NHSCA in 2012
• Placed third at Super 32 in 2011
• Coached by Paul Anthony at LCA
• Member of National Honor Society
• Parents are Steve and Cindy Atkinson
• Has one sister, Adelina, and one brother, Aaron
• Born in Bucharest, Romania
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Welsh Connection Adds to Bowl StorylinesFootball12/14/17Virginia (6-6) meets Navy (6-6) in the Military Bowl, Dec. 28 in Annapolis, Md. George Welsh is a former head coach of each team.Cooper Thriving Under New StaffSwimming & Diving12/12/17A senior from Atlanta and one of the team's captains, Caitlin Cooper set the UVA women's record in the 50-yard freestyle early this month in Athens, Georgia.Hazzard Aiming to Uphold Family TraditionTrack & Field, Cross Country12/11/17A freshman from Long Island, New York, Halle Hazzard is the younger sister of Payton Hazzard, who was an All-America sprinter for the Cavaliers.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Mueller, Hayes Place At Cliff Keen Invitational Saturday
Wrestling | 12/2/2017
Jack Mueller and Louie Hayes finished third and seventh in their weight classes to lead Virginia ...
Mueller Advances To Semifinals At Cliff Keen Invitational
Wrestling | 12/1/2017
Sophomore Jack Mueller advanced to the semifinals of the Cliff Keen Invitational, one of four...
Virginia Opens Cliff Keen Invitational Friday
Wrestling | 11/30/2017
Virginia begins competition on Friday at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational with 10 wrestlers ...
Virginia Drops Tight Dual Match To No. 4 Missouri
Wrestling | 11/26/2017
Bonus points proved key on Sunday as Virginia dropped a tight dual match to No. 4 Missouri by a...
Five Wrestlers Place For Cavaliers At Mat-Town Open Sunday
Wrestling | 11/26/2017
Five wrestlers placed at the Mat-Town Open on Sunday afternoon to lead a group of seven Virginia ...
Virginia Hosts No. 4 Missouri In Sunday Dual Meet
Wrestling | 11/25/2017
Virginia continues to wrestle at home on Sunday afternoon, hosting No. 4 Missouri in a 1 p.m....
Six Cavaliers Compete At Wolfpack Open On Sunday
Wrestling | 11/19/2017
Cam Coy finished second and Sam Book took sixth to lead six Cavaliers in competition at the...
Virginia Takes Down Gardner-Webb 30-11 In Home Opener
Wrestling | 11/17/2017
Early bonus-point victories set the tone for Virginia on Friday as the Cavaliers defeated Gardner...
- Online Stores