Conference has record 4,143 student-athletes recognized
Cavaliers finish regular season Thursday at Memorial Gymnasium
UVa wins 25 of 30 bouts in victories over Anderson (S.C.), VMI and George Mason
Conference has record 3,967 student-athletes recognized
Cavaliers top West Virginia, Gardner-Webb and Anderson (S.C.)
• Competed in just three bouts before suffering season-ending injury
• Pinned VMI’s Juan Adams in sudden-victory time in his first dual of season (11/2)
• Earned master’s degree in higher education administration in May
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll for third time
• Competed in just two matches before suffering season-ending injury during match against West Virginia's Anthony Vizcarrondo
• Won first match of season against Gardner-Webb's Justin Kozera (11/2)
• Went 8-6 during redshirt sophomore season
• ACC runner-up at heavyweight
• Missed nearly two months with injuries; made return for good during Jan. 18 UNC dual and went 6-1 in duals after his return
• Went 4-1 in ACC duals, with decisions over Cody Klempay (UNC), Brian Self (Duke), Mike Kosoy (NC State) and Dallas Brown (Maryland) and loss to Virginia Tech's David Marone
• Wrestled two ranked foes: then-No. 19 Marone as well as then-No. 9 Jeremy Johnson of Ohio (7-5 loss)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Posted 11-2 record during redshirt freshman season
• Missed a lot of time with two injuries
• After returning from first injury, he went 6-1 in duals before season ended with injury in practice in late February
• Placed second at NC State Open (11/13); took injury default in championship bout
• Redshirt season
• Went 22-9 while competing unattached in open tournaments
• Placed in five open tournaments
• Took runner-up honors at Wolfpack Open (11/14) and Shorty Hitchock Open (1/16); lost to Maryland All-American Spencer Myers in Shorty Hitchcock final
• Placed third at Appalachian State and Edinboro opens (1/29, 2/12)
• Finished fifth in Clarion Open (2/19)
• Advanced to World Team Trials (freestyle) after taking second place at 120 KG/264.5 pounds at FILA Junior World Team Trials (5/21)
• Earned Freestyle All-America honors after fourth-place finish at FILA Nationals (4/10)
BUCKINGHAM, BROWNE AND NICHOLS SCHOOL
• Three-time Massachusetts state champion and four-time finalist
• Three-time Prep All-American
• Named New England Prep Athlete of the Year in 2010
• Named NHSCA Junior All American
• Two-time Junior Freestyle All-American
• Named to Boston Herald and Globe All-Scholastic Team
• Named ISL Wrestler of the Year
• Earned Academic All-American honors
• Was the Massachusetts recipient for the Dave Shultz Award
• Four-year starter
• Coached by Tom Randall at BB&N
• Standout in wrestling as well as football (RB/LB)
• Five-time all-league honoree in football
• Named Massachusetts all-state
• Also named New England and ISL MVP
• Earned MVP honors in Massachusetts All-Star Game
• School President his senior year
• Worked over 100 hours of community service throughout high school
• Parents are Peter and Jean Papagianopoulos
• Has one brother, Billy
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Cooper Thriving Under New StaffSwimming & Diving12/12/17A senior from Atlanta and one of the team's captains, Caitlin Cooper set the UVA women's record in the 50-yard freestyle early this month in Athens, Georgia.Hazzard Aiming to Uphold Family TraditionTrack & Field, Cross Country12/11/17A freshman from Long Island, New York, Halle Hazzard is the younger sister of Payton Hazzard, who was an All-America sprinter for the Cavaliers.UVA's Campbell Winners Share Special BondFootball12/6/17UVA is the only ACC school with multiple winners of the prestigious Campbell Trophy: Tom Burns in 1993 and Micah Kiser this year.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Mueller, Hayes Place At Cliff Keen Invitational Saturday
Wrestling | 12/2/2017
Jack Mueller and Louie Hayes finished third and seventh in their weight classes to lead Virginia ...
Mueller Advances To Semifinals At Cliff Keen Invitational
Wrestling | 12/1/2017
Sophomore Jack Mueller advanced to the semifinals of the Cliff Keen Invitational, one of four...
Virginia Opens Cliff Keen Invitational Friday
Wrestling | 11/30/2017
Virginia begins competition on Friday at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational with 10 wrestlers ...
Virginia Drops Tight Dual Match To No. 4 Missouri
Wrestling | 11/26/2017
Bonus points proved key on Sunday as Virginia dropped a tight dual match to No. 4 Missouri by a...
Five Wrestlers Place For Cavaliers At Mat-Town Open Sunday
Wrestling | 11/26/2017
Five wrestlers placed at the Mat-Town Open on Sunday afternoon to lead a group of seven Virginia ...
Virginia Hosts No. 4 Missouri In Sunday Dual Meet
Wrestling | 11/25/2017
Virginia continues to wrestle at home on Sunday afternoon, hosting No. 4 Missouri in a 1 p.m....
Six Cavaliers Compete At Wolfpack Open On Sunday
Wrestling | 11/19/2017
Cam Coy finished second and Sam Book took sixth to lead six Cavaliers in competition at the...
Virginia Takes Down Gardner-Webb 30-11 In Home Opener
Wrestling | 11/17/2017
Early bonus-point victories set the tone for Virginia on Friday as the Cavaliers defeated Gardner...
- Online Stores