Cavalier senior pinned nation's fifth-ranked wrestler en route to pair of dual wins for UVA
Atkinson, DiCamillo and Mueller grab bonus point victories to pace Cavalier offense
Mueller takes second while Atkinson and DiCamillo both take fourth
Cavalier senior wins top-20 bout to open 2016-17 campaign
Cavalier's season ends on near fall at buzzer to Utah Valley's Jade Rauser
Nine Virginia wrestlers competed in the NCAA Championships Thursday (March 21).
2013 ACC Freshman of the Year
2013, 2015, 2016 NCAA Qualifier - 133 pounds
2013, 2015, 2016 ACC Champion - 133 pounds
• Earned All-ACC honors as ACC Champion at 133 pounds
• Became seventh UVA wrestler to win three ACC Championships
• Earned his third NCAA Championships berth
• Posted a 29-5 mark
• Posted seven falls, four tech falls and seven major decisions
• Went 10-1 in dual meets and 4-0 in ACC dual meets
• Opened the season 9-0 before suffering his first loss to No. 5 Johnni DiJulius at No. 5 Ohio State (11/13)
• Went 5-3 vs. nationally-ranked foes
• Finished third at 133 pounds at Cliff Keen Invitational (12/4-12/5)
• Wins over then No. 20 Joey Palmer (Oregon State), No. 15 Zach Synon (Missouri), No. 5 Johni DiJulius by medical forfeit (Ohio State) No 7 Earl Hall (Iowa State) at Cliff Keen
• Only Cliff Keen loss came to eventual national champion Nashon Garrett (Cornell)
• Placed third at the Southern Scuffle (1/1-1/2)
• Went 2-2 at the NCAA Championships
• Earned automatic qualification for NCAA Championships for second time
• Was No. 12 seed at 133 pounds at NCAAs
• Finished with 28-9 record (second on team in wins)
• Cruised to his second ACC championship at 133 pounds (3/8)
• Went 2-2 at NCAAs, including wins over Kevin Norstrem of Virginia Tech (MD, 8-0) and No. 5 seed Zane Richards of Illinois (SV, 6-4)
• Both losses at NCAAs came to seeds, including eventual national champion Cody Brewer (Oklahoma) and A.J. Schopp (Edinboro)
• Was 11-8 against 2015 NCAA qualifiers
• Eight of nine defeats came to ranked opponents, all of whom were seeded at NCAAs
• Ranked No. 11 in final TheOpenMat 133 rankings, No. 12 by Flowrestling, No. 13 by AWN and WIN and No. 14 by InterMat
• Went 5-0 in ACC duals – earned bonus points in three of five (all five decided by four-plus points)
• Placed sixth at Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational – suffered pair of one-point losses to top-10 opponents
• Won 133-pound championship at Hokie Open (11/10)
• Redshirt season
• Named ACC Freshman of the Year
• Set Virginia record for wins by a freshman as he went 33-10 on the season
• Won the ACC championship at 133 pounds - first Virginia freshman ACC champion since Gage Short at 177 pounds in 1995
• First Virginia freshman to earn a national seed at NCAA Championships (No. 11)
• Won the Hokie and Wolfpack opens at 133 pounds
• Placed fifth at 133 at Las Vegas Invitational and Southern Scuffle
• Wrestled 10 of the top 20-ranked wrestlers (in final poll) during season
• Was 13-9 against 2013 NCAA qualifiers
• Wrestled seven of the NCAA Championships' national seeds (No. 2 Tony Ramos of Iowa, No. 5 Chris Dardanes of Minnesota, No. 6 Nathan McCormick of Missouri, No. 7 Jonathon Morrison of Oklahoma State, No. 9 Levi Wolfensperger of Northern Iowa, No. 10 Scotti Sentes of Central Michigan, No. 12 Jordan Conaway of Penn State)
• Went 4-1 in ACC dual competition; lone loss came to Maryland's Geoffrey Alexander
• Lost in sudden victory time to then-No. 6 Nathan McCormick of Missouri at Las Vegas Invitational and No. 5 Chris Dardanes of Minnesota at Southern Scuffle
• Won the first two college tournaments of his career, the Hokie Open (11/4) and Wolfpack Open (11/11)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
SAINT IGNATIUS HIGH SCHOOL
• Two-time Ohio state champion (112 pounds in 2011, 120 pounds in 2012)
• Three-time Walsh Ironman champion
• Finished with 152-7 career record
• Set school records for most wins and best career record
• Won his matches at the Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic and for Team USA at Dream Team Classic
• Coached by Mark Sullivan
• Parents are Ralph and Mary Lou DiCamillo
• Has one sister, Marissa
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Perrantes Searching for AnswersMen's Basketball2/21/17Senior point guard London Perrantes has made only 16 of 58 shots (27.6 percent) from the floor in his past four games, all Virginia losses.'Hoos Savor Latest ITA TitleMen's Tennis2/20/17In men's tennis, Virginia won its sixth ITA National Team Indoors Championship, defending Ohio State 4-1 at the Boar's Head Sports Club.Slumping Cavaliers Look to RegroupMen's Basketball2/19/17No. 14 Virginia (18-8, 8-6) will try to end a three-game losing streak Monday night when ACC rival Miami (18-8, 8-6) visit John Paul Jones Arena.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Four Cavaliers Claim Titles At U.S. Collegiate Championships
Wrestling | 2/19/2017
Four wrestlers claimed titles for the Cavaliers in competition at the U.S. Collegiate...
Virginia Wrestlers Set To Compete At U.S. Western Open Sunday
Wrestling | 2/18/2017
Six members of the Virginia wrestling team head west to compete at the U.S. Western National Open...
No. 23 Virginia Drops Tight Dual With No. 24 Pittsburgh
Wrestling | 2/12/2017
The No. 23 Virginia wrestling team dropped a tight dual match with No. 24 Pittsburgh on Sunday to...
No. 23 Virginia Hosts No. 24 Pittsburgh Sunday
Wrestling | 2/11/2017
The No. 23 Virginia wrestling team hosts No. 24 Pittsburgh at 1 p.m. Sunday in a dual match at...
DiCamillo Named ACC Wrestler Of The Week
Wrestling | 2/7/2017
Redshirt senior George DiCamillo has been named the ACC Wrestler of the Week, the league office...
No. 24 Virginia Defeats Duke Sunday In Road Dual
Wrestling | 2/5/2017
The No. 24 Virginia Cavaliers won six weight classes to pick up a 23-14 win over Duke on the road...
No. 24 Virginia Takes Down No. 25 North Carolina
Wrestling | 02/04/2017
The No. 24 Virginia wrestling team went on the road Saturday and used bonus points to pick up a...
No. 24 Virginia Travels To No. 25 UNC, Duke
Wrestling | 02/03/2017
The No. 24 Virginia wrestling team travels to face No. 25 North Carolina on Saturday and face...
- Online Stores