Cavalier's season ends on near fall at buzzer to Utah Valley's Jade Rauser
DiCamillo, Nye remain alive for day two at NCAA Championships
Five Cavaliers begin competition at Madison Square Garden Thursday morning
DiCamillo seeded sixth, Nye seeded 14th to lead Cavaliers
Cavaliers have five wrestlers headed to championship event at Madison Square Garden
Nine Virginia wrestlers competed in the NCAA Championships Thursday (March 21).
2013 ACC Freshman of the Year
2013, 2015, 2016 NCAA Qualifier - 133 pounds
2013, 2015, 2016 ACC Champion - 133 pounds
• Earned All-ACC honors as ACC Champion at 133 pounds
• Became third UVA wrestler to win three ACC Championships
• Earned his third NCAA Championships berth
• Posted a 29-5 mark
• Posted seven falls, four tech falls and seven major decisions
• Went 10-1 in dual meets and 4-0 in ACC dual meets
• Opened the season 9-0 before suffering his first loss to No. 5 Johnni DiJulius at No. 5 Ohio State (11/13)
• Went 5-3 vs. nationally-ranked foes
• Finished third at 133 pounds at Cliff Keen Invitational (12/4-12/5)
• Wins over then No. 20 Joey Palmer (Oregon State), No. 15 Zach Synon (Missouri), No. 5 Johni DiJulius by medical forfeit (Ohio State) No 7 Earl Hall (Iowa State) at Cliff Keen
• Only Cliff Keen loss came to eventual national champion Nashon Garrett (Cornell)
• Placed third at the Southern Scuffle (1/1-1/2)
• Went 2-2 at the NCAA Championships
• Earned automatic qualification for NCAA Championships for second time
• Was No. 12 seed at 133 pounds at NCAAs
• Finished with 28-9 record (second on team in wins)
• Cruised to his second ACC championship at 133 pounds (3/8)
• Went 2-2 at NCAAs, including wins over Kevin Norstrem of Virginia Tech (MD, 8-0) and No. 5 seed Zane Richards of Illinois (SV, 6-4)
• Both losses at NCAAs came to seeds, including eventual national champion Cody Brewer (Oklahoma) and A.J. Schopp (Edinboro)
• Was 11-8 against 2015 NCAA qualifiers
• Eight of nine defeats came to ranked opponents, all of whom were seeded at NCAAs
• Ranked No. 11 in final TheOpenMat 133 rankings, No. 12 by Flowrestling, No. 13 by AWN and WIN and No. 14 by InterMat
• Went 5-0 in ACC duals – earned bonus points in three of five (all five decided by four-plus points)
• Placed sixth at Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational – suffered pair of one-point losses to top-10 opponents
• Won 133-pound championship at Hokie Open (11/10)
• Redshirt season
• Named ACC Freshman of the Year
• Set Virginia record for wins by a freshman as he went 33-10 on the season
• Won the ACC championship at 133 pounds - first Virginia freshman ACC champion since Gage Short at 177 pounds in 1995
• First Virginia freshman to earn a national seed at NCAA Championships (No. 11)
• Won the Hokie and Wolfpack opens at 133 pounds
• Placed fifth at 133 at Las Vegas Invitational and Southern Scuffle
• Wrestled 10 of the top 20-ranked wrestlers (in final poll) during season
• Was 13-9 against 2013 NCAA qualifiers
• Wrestled seven of the NCAA Championships' national seeds (No. 2 Tony Ramos of Iowa, No. 5 Chris Dardanes of Minnesota, No. 6 Nathan McCormick of Missouri, No. 7 Jonathon Morrison of Oklahoma State, No. 9 Levi Wolfensperger of Northern Iowa, No. 10 Scotti Sentes of Central Michigan, No. 12 Jordan Conaway of Penn State)
• Went 4-1 in ACC dual competition; lone loss came to Maryland's Geoffrey Alexander
• Lost in sudden victory time to then-No. 6 Nathan McCormick of Missouri at Las Vegas Invitational and No. 5 Chris Dardanes of Minnesota at Southern Scuffle
• Won the first two college tournaments of his career, the Hokie Open (11/4) and Wolfpack Open (11/11)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
SAINT IGNATIUS HIGH SCHOOL
• Two-time Ohio state champion (112 pounds in 2011, 120 pounds in 2012)
• Three-time Walsh Ironman champion
• Finished with 152-7 career record
• Set school records for most wins and best career record
• Won his matches at the Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic and for Team USA at Dream Team Classic
• Coached by Mark Sullivan
• Parents are Ralph and Mary Lou DiCamillo
• Has one sister, Marissa
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Conte's Impact Continues to GrowFootball9/28/16In his second year as a Virginia starter, graduate student Nicholas Conte (44.2-yard average) ranks among the nation's top punters.Spirit of '76 Unites Basketball FamilyMen's Basketball9/27/16At the Virginia men's basketball reunion, the spotlight was on the 1975-76 team and the legacy of former head coach Terry Holland.'Hoos Savor Long-Awaited BreakthroughFootball9/25/16The 'Hoos picked up their first victory of the season -- also their first under head coach Bronco Mendenhall -- Saturday at Scott Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Announces Hiring Of Mark Ellis As Assistant Coach
Wrestling | 9/24/2016
Virginia head coach Steve Garland announced the hiring of NCAA Champion and two-time All-American...
Virginia Announces 2016-17 Wrestling Schedule
Wrestling | 8/30/2016
Virginia head coach Steve Garland announced the 2016-17 wrestling schedule on Tuesday, with dual ...
Three Virginia Wrestlers Named NWCA All-Academic
Wrestling | 5/9/2016
Three members of the Virginia wrestling team were selected as NWCA All-Academic honorees the...
Five Wrestlers Named All-ACC Academic Team Selections
Wrestling | 4/26/2016
Five members of the Virginia wrestling team were named All-ACC Academic Team selections the...
Virginia Announces Addition Of Edwin Rubio For 2016-17
Wrestling | 4/13/2016
Virginia head coach announced Wednesday that heavyweight Edwin Rubio has signed a financial aid...
Jay Aiello To Join Virginia Wrestling Program
Wrestling | 4/4/2016
Virginia head coach Steve Garland announced Monday that Jay Aiello has signed a financial aid...
DiCamillo's Run Ends At NCAA Championships
Wrestling | 03/18/2016
George DiCamillo's run at the NCAA Championships ended on a late near fall Friday night in the...
DiCamillo Through To NCAA Round of 12
Wrestling | 03/18/2016
Virginia redshirt junior George DiCamillo advanced to the NCAA Round of 12 where he will face...
- Online Stores