Cavalier grapplers excel in the classroom and achieve success on the mat
Senior Dicamillo named ACC Wrestler of the Year, Mueller named ACC Freshman of the Year
Senior All-American matches best individual finish in program history as runner-up at 141 pounds
DiCamillo and freshman Jack Mueller earn All-America honors with semifinal appearances
Pair of seeded Cavalier wrestlers go undefeated on opening day at NCAA Championships
Nine Virginia wrestlers competed in the NCAA Championships Thursday (March 21).
2013 ACC Freshman of the Year
2013, 2015, 2016 NCAA Qualifier - 133 pounds
2013, 2015, 2016 ACC Champion - 133 pounds
• Earned All-ACC honors as ACC Champion at 133 pounds
• Became seventh UVA wrestler to win three ACC Championships
• Earned his third NCAA Championships berth
• Posted a 29-5 mark
• Posted seven falls, four tech falls and seven major decisions
• Went 10-1 in dual meets and 4-0 in ACC dual meets
• Opened the season 9-0 before suffering his first loss to No. 5 Johnni DiJulius at No. 5 Ohio State (11/13)
• Went 5-3 vs. nationally-ranked foes
• Finished third at 133 pounds at Cliff Keen Invitational (12/4-12/5)
• Wins over then No. 20 Joey Palmer (Oregon State), No. 15 Zach Synon (Missouri), No. 5 Johni DiJulius by medical forfeit (Ohio State) No 7 Earl Hall (Iowa State) at Cliff Keen
• Only Cliff Keen loss came to eventual national champion Nashon Garrett (Cornell)
• Placed third at the Southern Scuffle (1/1-1/2)
• Went 2-2 at the NCAA Championships
• Earned automatic qualification for NCAA Championships for second time
• Was No. 12 seed at 133 pounds at NCAAs
• Finished with 28-9 record (second on team in wins)
• Cruised to his second ACC championship at 133 pounds (3/8)
• Went 2-2 at NCAAs, including wins over Kevin Norstrem of Virginia Tech (MD, 8-0) and No. 5 seed Zane Richards of Illinois (SV, 6-4)
• Both losses at NCAAs came to seeds, including eventual national champion Cody Brewer (Oklahoma) and A.J. Schopp (Edinboro)
• Was 11-8 against 2015 NCAA qualifiers
• Eight of nine defeats came to ranked opponents, all of whom were seeded at NCAAs
• Ranked No. 11 in final TheOpenMat 133 rankings, No. 12 by Flowrestling, No. 13 by AWN and WIN and No. 14 by InterMat
• Went 5-0 in ACC duals – earned bonus points in three of five (all five decided by four-plus points)
• Placed sixth at Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational – suffered pair of one-point losses to top-10 opponents
• Won 133-pound championship at Hokie Open (11/10)
• Redshirt season
• Named ACC Freshman of the Year
• Set Virginia record for wins by a freshman as he went 33-10 on the season
• Won the ACC championship at 133 pounds - first Virginia freshman ACC champion since Gage Short at 177 pounds in 1995
• First Virginia freshman to earn a national seed at NCAA Championships (No. 11)
• Won the Hokie and Wolfpack opens at 133 pounds
• Placed fifth at 133 at Las Vegas Invitational and Southern Scuffle
• Wrestled 10 of the top 20-ranked wrestlers (in final poll) during season
• Was 13-9 against 2013 NCAA qualifiers
• Wrestled seven of the NCAA Championships' national seeds (No. 2 Tony Ramos of Iowa, No. 5 Chris Dardanes of Minnesota, No. 6 Nathan McCormick of Missouri, No. 7 Jonathon Morrison of Oklahoma State, No. 9 Levi Wolfensperger of Northern Iowa, No. 10 Scotti Sentes of Central Michigan, No. 12 Jordan Conaway of Penn State)
• Went 4-1 in ACC dual competition; lone loss came to Maryland's Geoffrey Alexander
• Lost in sudden victory time to then-No. 6 Nathan McCormick of Missouri at Las Vegas Invitational and No. 5 Chris Dardanes of Minnesota at Southern Scuffle
• Won the first two college tournaments of his career, the Hokie Open (11/4) and Wolfpack Open (11/11)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
SAINT IGNATIUS HIGH SCHOOL
• Two-time Ohio state champion (112 pounds in 2011, 120 pounds in 2012)
• Three-time Walsh Ironman champion
• Finished with 152-7 career record
• Set school records for most wins and best career record
• Won his matches at the Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic and for Team USA at Dream Team Classic
• Coached by Mark Sullivan
• Parents are Ralph and Mary Lou DiCamillo
• Has one sister, Marissa
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Harris' Returns Bolsters SecondaryFootball4/28/17After missing most of last season with a shoulder injury, cornerback Tim Harris figures to be a key member of Virginia's secondary this fall.Williams' UVA Journey Nearing Its EndMen's Lacrosse4/26/17One game remains in the college career of attackman Zed Williams, who'll graduate from UVA next month with a bachelor's degree in drama.Afamefuna Thriving in New RoleMen's Soccer4/24/17After making the ACC's All-Freshman team as a defender last fall, Virginia's Robin Afamefuna is looking to contribute more at the attacking end this year.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Five Wrestlers Named ACC All-Academic Team Selections
Wrestling | 4/17/2017
Five Virginia wrestlers were named to the ACC All-Academic Team on Monday for excellence in the...
DiCamillo, Mueller Take Pair Of ACC Awards
Wrestling | 3/28/2017
George DiCamillo was named ACC Wrestler of the Year and Jack Mueller was named ACC Freshman of...
DiCamillo Finishes Runner-Up At NCAA Championships
Wrestling | 3/18/2017
Virginia senior George DiCamillo matched the best individual finish in program history, finishing...
DiCamillo Advances To Finals Of NCAA Championships
Wrestling | 3/17/2017
Redshirt senior George DiCamillo advanced to the NCAA Championships finals and earned All-America...
DiCamillo, Mueller Advance To NCAA Quarterfinals
Wrestling | 3/16/2017
George DiCamillo and Jack Mueller both advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Championships to...
Virginia Opens NCAA Wrestling Championships Thursday
Wrestling | 3/15/2017
The Virginia wrestling team looks to close out the 2016-17 season with a strong performance as...
Brackets, Seeds Announced For 2017 NCAA Championships
Wrestling | 03/08/2017
George DiCamillo and Jack Mueller both earned national seeds with the release of the brackets for...
Six Cavaliers Place At ACC Championships Saturday
Wrestling | 03/04/2017
George DiCamillo finished second at the ACC Championships, leading a group of six Cavaliers to...
- Online Stores