Cavalier grapplers excel in the classroom and achieve success on the mat
Senior Dicamillo named ACC Wrestler of the Year, Mueller named ACC Freshman of the Year
Senior All-American matches best individual finish in program history as runner-up at 141 pounds
DiCamillo and freshman Jack Mueller earn All-America honors with semifinal appearances
Pair of seeded Cavalier wrestlers go undefeated on opening day at NCAA Championships
Nine Virginia wrestlers competed in the NCAA Championships Thursday (March 21).
2017 NCAA Finalist – 141 pounds
2017 ACC Wrestler of the Year
2017 All-American (Runner-Up)
2017 NCAA Qualifier - 141 pounds
2013, 2015, 2016 NCAA Qualifier - 133 pounds
2013, 2015, 2016 ACC Champion - 133 pounds
• Posted a career record of 115-29
• Third NCAA Finalist in program history
• Three-time ACC Champion, the seventh in UVA history
• NCAA All-American as a senior in 2017
• Four-time NCAA qualifier
• Four-time All-ACC honoree
• 2017 ACC Wrestler of the Year
• NCAA Runner-Up at 141 pounds to earn All-America honors for the first time
• NCAA Finalist as the No. 6 seed at the NCAA Championships
• ACC Wrestler of the Year
• ACC Runner-Up at 141 pounds
• All-ACC selection
• Posted a 25-5 record, including a 15-1 mark in dual meets
• Went 4-1 at NCAA Championships, falling to only NCAA Champion and No. 1 seed Dean Heil of
• His five losses on the season all came vs. the top two wrestlers in the national rankings – twice to No.
1 Dean Heil, twice to No. 2 Kevin Jack and once to No. 2 Joey McKenna
• Finished as runner-up at the Southern Scuffle
• Posted a 4-1 mark in ACC dual meets
• Went 10-1 in matches decided by fall
• Earned All-ACC honors as ACC Champion at 133 pounds
• Became seventh UVA wrestler to win three ACC Championships
• Earned his third NCAA Championships berth
• Posted a 29-5 mark
• Posted seven falls, four tech falls and seven major decisions
• Went 10-1 in dual meets and 4-0 in ACC dual meets
• Opened the season 9-0 before suffering his first loss to No. 5 Johnni DiJulius at No. 5 Ohio State (11/13)
• Went 5-3 vs. nationally-ranked foes
• Finished third at 133 pounds at Cliff Keen Invitational (12/4-12/5)
• Wins over then No. 20 Joey Palmer (Oregon State), No. 15 Zach Synon (Missouri), No. 5 Johni DiJulius by medical forfeit (Ohio State) No 7 Earl Hall (Iowa State) at Cliff Keen
• Only Cliff Keen loss came to eventual national champion Nashon Garrett (Cornell)
• Placed third at the Southern Scuffle (1/1-1/2)
• Went 2-2 at the NCAA Championships
• Earned automatic qualification for NCAA Championships for second time
• Was No. 12 seed at 133 pounds at NCAAs
• Finished with 28-9 record (second on team in wins)
• Cruised to his second ACC championship at 133 pounds (3/8)
• Went 2-2 at NCAAs, including wins over Kevin Norstrem of Virginia Tech (MD, 8-0) and No. 5 seed Zane Richards of Illinois (SV, 6-4)
• Both losses at NCAAs came to seeds, including eventual national champion Cody Brewer (Oklahoma) and A.J. Schopp (Edinboro)
• Was 11-8 against 2015 NCAA qualifiers
• Eight of nine defeats came to ranked opponents, all of whom were seeded at NCAAs
• Ranked No. 11 in final TheOpenMat 133 rankings, No. 12 by Flowrestling, No. 13 by AWN and WIN and No. 14 by InterMat
• Went 5-0 in ACC duals – earned bonus points in three of five (all five decided by four-plus points)
• Placed sixth at Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational – suffered pair of one-point losses to top-10 opponents
• Won 133-pound championship at Hokie Open (11/10)
• Redshirt season
• Named ACC Freshman of the Year
• Set Virginia record for wins by a freshman as he went 33-10 on the season
• Won the ACC championship at 133 pounds - first Virginia freshman ACC champion since Gage Short at 177 pounds in 1995
• First Virginia freshman to earn a national seed at NCAA Championships (No. 11)
• Won the Hokie and Wolfpack opens at 133 pounds
• Placed fifth at 133 at Las Vegas Invitational and Southern Scuffle
• Wrestled 10 of the top 20-ranked wrestlers (in final poll) during season
• Was 13-9 against 2013 NCAA qualifiers
• Wrestled seven of the NCAA Championships' national seeds (No. 2 Tony Ramos of Iowa, No. 5 Chris Dardanes of Minnesota, No. 6 Nathan McCormick of Missouri, No. 7 Jonathon Morrison of Oklahoma State, No. 9 Levi Wolfensperger of Northern Iowa, No. 10 Scotti Sentes of Central Michigan, No. 12 Jordan Conaway of Penn State)
• Went 4-1 in ACC dual competition; lone loss came to Maryland's Geoffrey Alexander
• Lost in sudden victory time to then-No. 6 Nathan McCormick of Missouri at Las Vegas Invitational and No. 5 Chris Dardanes of Minnesota at Southern Scuffle
• Won the first two college tournaments of his career, the Hokie Open (11/4) and Wolfpack Open (11/11)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
SAINT IGNATIUS HIGH SCHOOL
• Two-time Ohio state champion (112 pounds in 2011, 120 pounds in 2012)
• Three-time Walsh Ironman champion
• Finished with 152-7 career record
• Set school records for most wins and best career record
• Won his matches at the Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic and for Team USA at Dream Team Classic
• Coached by Mark Sullivan
• Parents are Ralph and Mary Lou DiCamillo
• Has one sister, Marissa
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Mueller Sets Sights on World Title
Wrestling | 6/11/2018
Early this month, rising junior Jack Mueller clinched a spot on the U.S. team for the U23...
Mueller Secures Spot On U23 World Team
Wrestling | 6/3/2018
Rising junior Jack Mueller secured a spot on the U23 World Team when he won his weight class at...
UVA Wrestlers Open Competition At U23 World Team Trials...
Wrestling | 6/1/2018
Twelve members of the Virginia wrestling team compete for a spot on the U23 World Team at the...
Virginia Wrestlers Achieve Academic Success In Spring Semester
Wrestling | 5/22/2018
Members of the Virginia wrestling program achieved academic success this spring with five earning...
Cavaliers Experience Success At 2018 US Open Championships
Wrestling | 4/30/2018
Members of the UVA wrestling program and the Cavalier Wrestling Club RTC experienced success over...
NWCA Tabs Atkinson, Hayes As All-Academic Selections
Wrestling | 4/23/2018
The National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) has tabbed Virginia wrestlers Andrew Atkinson...
Atkinson, Hayes Named To ACC All-Academic Wrestling Team
Wrestling | 04/19/2018
A pair of Virginia wrestlers were recognized by the league office for achievement in competition ...
Cavaliers' Run At NCAA Championships Ends Friday
Wrestling | 03/16/2018
Virginia's run at the NCAA Championships came to an end on Friday night as Louie Hayes and Jack...
- Online Stores