Atkinson, Gillen and Nye earn recognition for academic and athletic achievement
Five Cavaliers begin competition at Madison Square Garden Thursday morning
DiCamillo seeded sixth, Nye seeded 14th to lead Cavaliers
Cavaliers have five wrestlers headed to championship event at Madison Square Garden
Cavalier heavyweight displayed value of serving others through early adversity
2016 NCAA QUALIFER AT HEAVYWEIGHT
• Earned his first NCAA Championship berth
• Posted a 17-15 record at heavyweight
• Posted three falls, four major decisions and a tech fall
• Finished third at the Clarion Open (11/1) to start the season
• Claimed the championship at the Mat Town Open (11/22)
• Advanced to day two at the Cliff Keen Invitational (12/4-12/5)
• Went 0-2 at the NCAA Championships
• Named to All-ACC Academic Team
• Named an NWCA All-Academic Selection
• Went 15-12, including 4-6 record in UVa duals
• Placed fourth at heavyweight at ACC Championships (3/8)
• Took runner-up honors at Franklin & Marshall Open (1/3)
• Placed third at Lock Haven Open (12/29)
•Recorded pin of Anderson’s Will Diamond in just 59 seconds in UVa’s season-opening dual (11/2)
• Posted 3-6 record, including 2-1 mark in UVa duals
• Pinned VMI's Andrew Embree at Hokie Duals (11/10)
• Recorded 2-8 mark in redshirt freshman season, with all of his matches coming at heavyweight
• Was 1-2 in UVa dual matches, including 11-2 major decision over Anderson's Jake Allen on Nov. 3
• Scored pair of wins at Wolfpack Open (11/11)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Redshirt season
• Went 13-7 while competing unattached in open tournaments
• Took runner-up honors at Appalachian Open (1/29)
• Finished fourth at Hokie Open (11/6)
SHELTON HIGH SCHOOL
• Two-time state champion at 215 pounds
• Four-time NHSCA All-American
• Four-time NHSCA Academic All-American
• 2011 National finalist
• Set Connecticut state wins record with 204 (204-15 career record); went 53-1 his senior year
• Also holds Connecticut state pins record with 140
• Four-time Southern Connecticut Conference champion
• Two-time state Class LL Champion and two-time New England champion
• Coached by his father, Bob Gillen, at Shelton High
• Also played football (left tackle, defensive tackle) and lacrosse (attack); was lacrosse team captain his senior year
• Was All-Valley selection in football
• Son of Robert and Virginia Gillen
• Has two sisters, Kelsey and MacKenzie
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Hall Continues to Elevate His GameMen's Basketball12/16/17On an afternoon when fellow guards Nigel Johnson and Kyle Guy also shined for No. 16 Virginia, Devon Hall scored a career-high 20 points and added five rebounds and five assists.Diakite's Impact Growing for CavaliersMen's Basketball12/15/17Redshirt sophomore Mamadi Diakite has been a positive presence around the basket for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts Davidson on Saturday afternoon at JPJ.Welsh Connection Adds to Bowl StorylinesFootball12/14/17Virginia (6-6) meets Navy (6-6) in the Military Bowl, Dec. 28 in Annapolis, Md. George Welsh is a former head coach of each team.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Four Cavaliers Place At Cleveland State Open Saturday
Wrestling | 12/16/2017
Four Cavaliers placed on Saturday to lead Virginia in competition at the Cleveland State Open...
Virginia Closes 2017 On Road In Weekend Competition
Wrestling | 12/15/2017
The Virginia wrestling team takes on Bloomsburg in a Sunday afternoon dual meet while several...
Mueller, Hayes Place At Cliff Keen Invitational Saturday
Wrestling | 12/2/2017
Jack Mueller and Louie Hayes finished third and seventh in their weight classes to lead Virginia ...
Mueller Advances To Semifinals At Cliff Keen Invitational
Wrestling | 12/1/2017
Sophomore Jack Mueller advanced to the semifinals of the Cliff Keen Invitational, one of four...
Virginia Opens Cliff Keen Invitational Friday
Wrestling | 11/30/2017
Virginia begins competition on Friday at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational with 10 wrestlers ...
Virginia Drops Tight Dual Match To No. 4 Missouri
Wrestling | 11/26/2017
Bonus points proved key on Sunday as Virginia dropped a tight dual match to No. 4 Missouri by a...
Five Wrestlers Place For Cavaliers At Mat-Town Open Sunday
Wrestling | 11/26/2017
Five wrestlers placed at the Mat-Town Open on Sunday afternoon to lead a group of seven Virginia ...
Virginia Hosts No. 4 Missouri In Sunday Dual Meet
Wrestling | 11/25/2017
Virginia continues to wrestle at home on Sunday afternoon, hosting No. 4 Missouri in a 1 p.m....
- Online Stores