Atkinson, Gillen and Nye earn recognition for academic and athletic achievement
Five Cavaliers begin competition at Madison Square Garden Thursday morning
DiCamillo seeded sixth, Nye seeded 14th to lead Cavaliers
Cavaliers have five wrestlers headed to championship event at Madison Square Garden
Cavalier heavyweight displayed value of serving others through early adversity
• Went 15-12, including 4-6 record in UVa duals
• Placed fourth at heavyweight at ACC Championships (3/8)
• Took runner-up honors at Franklin & Marshall Open (1/3)
• Placed third at Lock Haven Open (12/29)
•Recorded pin of Anderson’s Will Diamond in just 59 seconds in UVa’s season-opening dual (11/2)
• Posted 3-6 record, including 2-1 mark in UVa duals
• Pinned VMI's Andrew Embree at Hokie Duals (11/10)
• Recorded 2-8 mark in redshirt freshman season, with all of his matches coming at heavyweight
• Was 1-2 in UVa dual matches, including 11-2 major decision over Anderson's Jake Allen on Nov. 3
• Scored pair of wins at Wolfpack Open (11/11)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Redshirt season
• Went 13-7 while competing unattached in open tournaments
• Took runner-up honors at Appalachian Open (1/29)
• Finished fourth at Hokie Open (11/6)
SHELTON HIGH SCHOOL
• Two-time state champion at 215 pounds
• Four-time NHSCA All-American
• Four-time NHSCA Academic All-American
• 2011 National finalist
• Set Connecticut state wins record with 204 (204-15 career record); went 53-1 his senior year
• Also holds Connecticut state pins record with 140
• Four-time Southern Connecticut Conference champion
• Two-time state Class LL Champion and two-time New England champion
• Coached by his father, Bob Gillen, at Shelton High
• Also played football (left tackle, defensive tackle) and lacrosse (attack); was lacrosse team captain his senior year
• Was All-Valley selection in football
• Son of Robert and Virginia Gillen
• Has two sisters, Kelsey and MacKenzie
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Cavaliers' Reign Atop NCAA Tennis ContinuesMen's Tennis5/25/16With a 4-1 win over Oklahoma on Tuesday night, top-seeded Virginia captured its second straight NCAA men's title and third in four seasons.Mihaljevic's Star Continues to RiseTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/16In junior Filip Mihaljevic, Virginia's track & field team has one of the nation's elite shot putters and discus throwers.Power Surge Contributing to Cavaliers' SuccessBaseball5/21/16Timely home runs helped No. 8 Virginia win the first two games of its series with ACC rival Virginia Tech at Davenport Field.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Three Virginia Wrestlers Named NWCA All-Academic
Wrestling | 5/9/2016
Three members of the Virginia wrestling team were selected as NWCA All-Academic honorees the...
Five Wrestlers Named All-ACC Academic Team Selections
Wrestling | 4/26/2016
Five members of the Virginia wrestling team were named All-ACC Academic Team selections the...
Virginia Announces Addition Of Edwin Rubio For 2016-17
Wrestling | 4/13/2016
Virginia head coach announced Wednesday that heavyweight Edwin Rubio has signed a financial aid...
Jay Aiello To Join Virginia Wrestling Program
Wrestling | 4/4/2016
Virginia head coach Steve Garland announced Monday that Jay Aiello has signed a financial aid...
DiCamillo's Run Ends At NCAA Championships
Wrestling | 3/18/2016
George DiCamillo's run at the NCAA Championships ended on a late near fall Friday night in the...
DiCamillo Through To NCAA Round of 12
Wrestling | 3/18/2016
Virginia redshirt junior George DiCamillo advanced to the NCAA Round of 12 where he will face...
DiCamillo Advances To NCAA Quarterfinals
Wrestling | 03/17/2016
George DiCamillo picked up a pair of wins to advance to the NCAA quarterfinals, while Zach Nye...
Virginia Begins NCAA Championships Thursday
Wrestling | 03/16/2016
Virginia opens competition at the NCAA Championships on Thursday, marking the 10th consecutive...
- Online Stores