Atkinson, Gillen and Nye earn recognition for academic and athletic achievement
Five Cavaliers begin competition at Madison Square Garden Thursday morning
DiCamillo seeded sixth, Nye seeded 14th to lead Cavaliers
Cavaliers have five wrestlers headed to championship event at Madison Square Garden
Cavalier heavyweight displayed value of serving others through early adversity
2016 NCAA QUALIFER AT HEAVYWEIGHT
• Earned his first NCAA Championship berth
• Posted a 17-15 record at heavyweight
• Posted three falls, four major decisions and a tech fall
• Finished third at the Clarion Open (11/1) to start the season
• Claimed the championship at the Mat Town Open (11/22)
• Advanced to day two at the Cliff Keen Invitational (12/4-12/5)
• Went 0-2 at the NCAA Championships
• Named to All-ACC Academic Team
• Named an NWCA All-Academic Selection
• Went 15-12, including 4-6 record in UVa duals
• Placed fourth at heavyweight at ACC Championships (3/8)
• Took runner-up honors at Franklin & Marshall Open (1/3)
• Placed third at Lock Haven Open (12/29)
•Recorded pin of Anderson’s Will Diamond in just 59 seconds in UVa’s season-opening dual (11/2)
• Posted 3-6 record, including 2-1 mark in UVa duals
• Pinned VMI's Andrew Embree at Hokie Duals (11/10)
• Recorded 2-8 mark in redshirt freshman season, with all of his matches coming at heavyweight
• Was 1-2 in UVa dual matches, including 11-2 major decision over Anderson's Jake Allen on Nov. 3
• Scored pair of wins at Wolfpack Open (11/11)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Redshirt season
• Went 13-7 while competing unattached in open tournaments
• Took runner-up honors at Appalachian Open (1/29)
• Finished fourth at Hokie Open (11/6)
SHELTON HIGH SCHOOL
• Two-time state champion at 215 pounds
• Four-time NHSCA All-American
• Four-time NHSCA Academic All-American
• 2011 National finalist
• Set Connecticut state wins record with 204 (204-15 career record); went 53-1 his senior year
• Also holds Connecticut state pins record with 140
• Four-time Southern Connecticut Conference champion
• Two-time state Class LL Champion and two-time New England champion
• Coached by his father, Bob Gillen, at Shelton High
• Also played football (left tackle, defensive tackle) and lacrosse (attack); was lacrosse team captain his senior year
• Was All-Valley selection in football
• Son of Robert and Virginia Gillen
• Has two sisters, Kelsey and MacKenzie
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
NCAA Quest Begins for Iceland NativeTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/18A three-time ACC champion in the hammer throw, Virginia junior Hilmar Jonsson competes Thursday at the NCAA East Preliminary meet in Tampa, Fla.Lynch Shines Again in His Season FinaleBaseball5/23/18In what was probably his final appearance for UVA, junior left-hander Daniel Lynch struck out seven Tuesday against Florida State in the ACC tournament.UVA Pioneer Ready for Next ChapterFootball5/21/18Kent Merritt, who's retiring next month from his position in the history department, was among the first African-American football players at Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Wrestlers Achieve Academic Success In Spring Semester
Wrestling | 5/22/2018
Members of the Virginia wrestling program achieved academic success this spring with five earning...
Cavaliers Experience Success At 2018 US Open Championships
Wrestling | 4/30/2018
Members of the UVA wrestling program and the Cavalier Wrestling Club RTC experienced success over...
NWCA Tabs Atkinson, Hayes As All-Academic Selections
Wrestling | 4/23/2018
The National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) has tabbed Virginia wrestlers Andrew Atkinson...
Atkinson, Hayes Named To ACC All-Academic Wrestling Team
Wrestling | 4/19/2018
A pair of Virginia wrestlers were recognized by the league office for achievement in competition ...
Cavaliers' Run At NCAA Championships Ends Friday
Wrestling | 3/16/2018
Virginia's run at the NCAA Championships came to an end on Friday night as Louie Hayes and Jack...
Hayes Advances To NCAA Championships Quarterfinals
Wrestling | 3/15/2018
Redshirt freshman Louie Hayes advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Championships, pacing...
Virginia Opens Competition At NCAA Championships Thursday
Wrestling | 03/14/2018
Virginia begins competition at the NCAA Championships with six wrestlers taking the mat in...
Brackets, Seeds Announced For 2018 NCAA Wrestling Championships
Wrestling | 03/07/2018
Brackets and seeds were announced for the NCAA Championships on Wednesday with Louie Hayes and...
- Online Stores