Cavaliers finish regular season Thursday at Memorial Gymnasium
Bison claim final four bouts
He wrestles Tyler Caldwell of Oklahoma State this evening
Five Cavaliers remain alive after first day of action
Four Cavaliers win opening matches
2012, 2014 NCAA Qualifier - 149 poundsAT VIRGINIA: 2014-15
• Had season cut short by injuries
• Was 3-5 in limited action; three of his five losses came to top-15 ranked opponents
• Pinned Bucknell’s Victor Lopez in dual action (12/20)
AT VIRGINIA: 2013-14
• Earned automatic berth into NCAA Championships after third-place finish at ACC Championships
• Was No. 7 seed at 149 pounds at NCAA Championships
• Posted 19-5 record, including 10-1 mark in duals
• Was 1-2 at NCAAs, with 7-4 win over Northern Illinois' Robert Jillard in first round
• Placed fourth at Southern Scuffle at 149 pounds (1/1-2)
• Over half of his wins came against NCAA qualifiers (11 of 19); went 11-4 against NCAA qualifiers, including 4-2 against national seeds
• Regular-season wins over national seeds included No. 10 Zach Neibert of Virginia Tech, No. 15 Mitchell Minotti of Lehigh, No. 16 Alexander Richardson of ODU and No. 3 Chris Villalonga of Cornell (medical)
• Missed several weeks in December and January with injuries
• Seven of his 19 wins came by fall
• Redshirt season
• Standout while competing unattached for season, going 24-5 while placing in four tournaments at 149 pounds
• Champion at East Stroudsburg Open (11/17), winning all six bouts
• Took runner-up honors at Nittany Lion Open (12/2), falling to sixth-ranked Andrew Alton of Penn State in final
• Took third place at Wolfpack Open (11/11) and fifth at Hokie Open (11/4)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Posted a 22-8 record as sophomore
• One of team's most pleasant surprises this year after moving up to 149 pounds; earned at-large berth to NCAA Championships
• Went 2-2 at NCAAs, including a 10-8 win over No. 5 seed Ian Miller of Kent State in the wrestlebacks
• Also defeated Mario Mason of Rutgers by medical forfeit at NCAAs
• Wrestled three seeded wrestlers at NCAAs
• Earned 11 wins in last 14 matches heading into NCAAs
• Went 5-7 against wrestlers who made the NCAA field
• Ranked 19th in final WIN Magazine poll, 20th in InterMat poll
• Was 19th in final NCAA RPI and 21st in final NCAA Coaches rankings
• Second on team with seven pins
• Was 3-1 in ACC duals; lone loss came to NC State's Matt Nereim (Sako led 13-1 before Nereim put Sako on his back for pin)
• Won by major decision against AJ Guardado (Duke) and Ben Dorsay (Maryland) and a 5-3 decision over Jon Burns (UNC)
• Did not compete until mid-December because of injury
• In first tournament back, he took fourth at Cleveland State Open (12/18)
• Placed seventh at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2); knocked off then-No. 18 Craig Eifert of Cornell in the seventh-place bout
• Named ACC Wrestler of the Week after his 5-3 upset win over then-No. 5 Mario Mason of Rutgers on Feb. 4
• Went 24-19 during freshman season
• Competed at 133 for first two open tournaments, then bumped up to 141
• Took eighth place at 141 at Southern Scuffle (12/29-30)
• Placed third at Clarion Open (2/19), coming through consolation bracket and winning seven matches
• Wrestled five ranked opponents over course of season
ST. EDWARD HIGH SCHOOL
• Two-time Ohio State Champion
• Won 103-pound state title in 2008 and 125-pound title in 2010
• Was state runner-up at 112 his junior year (2009)
• Career record was 148-13
• Two-time placewinner at Ironman (fourth, seventh)
• Placed second at FILA Cadets (2008)
• Took third at Fargo Cadets (2008)
• Coached by Greg Urbas at St. Edward
• Also was a high school teammate of fellow UVa wrestler Nick Sulzer
• Was Academic All-American for three years; also was member of National Honor Society
• Parents are Guy and Ashley Sako
• Has one sister, Elise
• Earned bachelor's degree in economics in May 2014
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
'Hoos Find Winning Formula on RoadMen's Basketball1/14/17Led by senior London Perrantes and junior Marial Shayok, No. 19 Virginia defeated ACC rival Clemson 77-73 at Littlejohn Coliseum on Saturday.Salt Carving Out Niche at UVAMen's Basketball1/13/17Jack Salt, a redshirt sophomore from New Zealand, starts at center for No. 19 Virginia, which plays Saturday at ACC rival Clemson.Fong Helping Lead Cavaliers' ResurgenceSwimming & Diving1/10/17The UVA men's swimming & diving team, which hosts Virginia Tech this weekend at the Aquatic & Fitness Center, is ranked No. 15 nationally.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Cavaliers Down Lock Haven To Win Virginia Duals Silver...
Wrestling | 1/14/2017
The No. 24 Virginia (8-3) wrestling team defeated Lock Haven on Saturday to win the Silver...
Cavaliers Down The Citadel, Bucknell At Virginia Duals
Wrestling | 1/13/2017
The No. 24 Virginia (7-3) wrestling team defeated The Citadel and Bucknell at the Virginia Duals ...
Cavaliers Open Competition At Virginia Duals Friday
Wrestling | 1/12/2017
The Cavaliers open competition at the Virginia Duals on Friday morning, facing The Citadel and...
Cavalier Trio Places At Southern Scuffle
Wrestling | 1/2/2017
Jack Mueller finished second, while Andrew Atkinson and George DiCamillo both finished fourth in ...
Three Cavaliers Advance To Southern Scuffle Semifinals
Wrestling | 1/1/2017
Three Cavaliers went undefeated on day one at the Southern Scuffle to advance to Monday's...
Virginia Opens New Year At Prestigious Southern Scuffle
Wrestling | 12/31/2016
The No. 24 Virginia wrestling team opens the new year in competition, beginning two days of...
No. 24 Virginia Defeats George Mason 27-10
Wrestling | 12/21/2016
The No. 24 Virginia wrestling program picked up a neutral-site victory on Wednesday, defeating...
No. 24 Virginia Faces George Mason In Neutral Site Meet...
Wrestling | 12/20/2016
The No. 24 Virginia wrestling team faces George Mason on Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m. at the St. ...
- Online Stores