Cavalier duo recognized for athletic and academic achievement by coaches association
Cavalier duo recognized for achievement on the mat and in the classroom
Atkinson, Mueller and Krivus continue on in consolation bracket on Friday morning
Six Cavaliers begin quest for NCAA Championships in opening round Thursday morning
Hayes earns No. 12 seed at 125 pounds, while Mueller earns No. 10 seed at 133 pounds
2018 NCAA Qualifer/Quarterfinalist - 125 Pounds
2018 ACC Runner-Up - 125 pounds
• NCAA Qualifier at 125 pounds and advanced to the quarterfinals
• Advanced to the NCAA quarterfinals with a 10-4 decision over No. 5 seed Sean Fausz (NC State)
• Finished one round short of All-America honors at the NCAA Championships
• All-ACC selection at 125 pounds with runner-up finish at ACC Championships
• Posted a 31-8 record, including a 12-2 mark in dual matches – tallied 56 dual points for the season
• Went 5-0 in ACC duals and led the league in dual points scored across all weight classes with 22 points
• Claimed the championship at the Clarion Open (11/5) with win over No. 19 Jake Gromacki (Clarion)
• Seventh-place finish at the Cliff Keen Invitational (12/1-2) with a 6-2 record
• Defeated No. 14 Luke Welch (Purdue) at the Cliff Keen Invitational
• One of his two losses at the Cliff Keen came to No. 3 Ethan Lizak (Minnesota), a two-time All-American
• Third-place finish at the Southern Scuffle (1/1-2) with a 5-1 record
• Only Scuffle loss came to No. 4 Darian Cruz (Lehigh) a three-time All-American and 2017 NCAA Champ
• Posted 16 bonus-point wins, including seven pins, six tech falls and three major decisions
• Went 7-0 in matches decided by fall and 6-1 in matches decided by tech fall
• Named to the ACC Wrestling All-Academic Team
• Named to an NWCA Scholar All-American
• Competed unattached at 125 pounds with an 18-8 record during a redshirt season
• Went 7-1 in matches decided by fall, 2-0 in tech falls and 3-1 in major decisions
• Finished third at the Clarion Open (11/6) losing only to teammate Jack Mueller
• Finished third at the Cleveland State Open (12/17) with a 4-1 record
• Finished third at the Wilkes Open (12/22) with a 5-1 record
• Went 1-2 at the Southern Scuffle with a win over No. 3 Dylan Peters of N. Iowa (1/1)
• Finished fourth at the Appalachian Open (1/28)
• Lettered four years at Carl Sandberg High School under Eric Sebert
• Three-time team captain, serving in the role his sophomore through senior years
• IHSA State Champion
• Ranked No. 13 at 113 pounds as a senior
• Junior Freestyle National Champion
• Junior Greco-Roman National Champion
• Four-time Honor Roll Athlete
• Son of Lori and Phil Hayes
• Has nine siblings, five brothers and four sisters
• Father, Phil, played golf at St. Norberts
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Mueller Sets Sights on World Title
Wrestling | 6/11/2018
Early this month, rising junior Jack Mueller clinched a spot on the U.S. team for the U23...
Mueller Secures Spot On U23 World Team
Wrestling | 6/3/2018
Rising junior Jack Mueller secured a spot on the U23 World Team when he won his weight class at...
UVA Wrestlers Open Competition At U23 World Team Trials...
Wrestling | 6/1/2018
Twelve members of the Virginia wrestling team compete for a spot on the U23 World Team at the...
Virginia Wrestlers Achieve Academic Success In Spring Semester
Wrestling | 5/22/2018
Members of the Virginia wrestling program achieved academic success this spring with five earning...
Cavaliers Experience Success At 2018 US Open Championships
Wrestling | 4/30/2018
Members of the UVA wrestling program and the Cavalier Wrestling Club RTC experienced success over...
NWCA Tabs Atkinson, Hayes As All-Academic Selections
Wrestling | 4/23/2018
The National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) has tabbed Virginia wrestlers Andrew Atkinson...
Atkinson, Hayes Named To ACC All-Academic Wrestling Team
Wrestling | 04/19/2018
A pair of Virginia wrestlers were recognized by the league office for achievement in competition ...
Cavaliers' Run At NCAA Championships Ends Friday
Wrestling | 03/16/2018
Virginia's run at the NCAA Championships came to an end on Friday night as Louie Hayes and Jack...
- Online Stores