Atkinson, Gillen and Nye earn recognition for academic and athletic achievement
DiCamillo, Nye remain alive for day two at NCAA Championships
Five Cavaliers begin competition at Madison Square Garden Thursday morning
DiCamillo seeded sixth, Nye seeded 14th to lead Cavaliers
Cavaliers have five wrestlers headed to championship event at Madison Square Garden
2014, 2015 ACC Runner-Up - 197 pounds
• Earned his third consecutive NCAA Championships berth
• Posted a 26-12 record wrestling at 197 pounds
• Tallied three tech falls and a major decision
• Claimed the championship at the Clarion Open (11/1)
• Opened the season 10-1 with his only loss to No. 7 Brett Pfarr of Minnesota (11/7)
• Finished fifth at the Southern Scuffle (1/1-1/2), going 5-2
• Went 2-2 at the ACC Championships
• Went 2-2 at the NCAA Championships, defeating Anthony Abro (Western Michigan) and Owen Scott
(Cornell), but falling to Brett Pfarr (Minnesota) and Jared Haught (Va. Tech)
• Named to All-ACC Academic Team
• Named an NWCA All-Academic Selection
• Qualified for NCAA Championships at 197 pounds for second straight year
• Automatic NCAA qualifier after runner-up finish at ACC Championships (3/8)
• Ranked No. 11 at 197 in final Flowrestling rankings, No. 12 by WIN, No. 14 by InterMat and No. 16 by AWN and TheOpenMat
• Was 0-2 at NCAA Championships – fell 3-0 to No. 2 seed Morgan McIntosh (Penn State) before being eliminated by West Virginia’s Jake Smith on riding time in second tiebreaker
• Went 5-8 against 2015 NCAA qualifiers
• Placed eighth at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2)
• Seven of eight defeats came to ranked opponents
• Was 4-1 in ACC duals (three of wins came in overtime periods); all five determined by two points or fewer
• Missed much of November and December with injury
• Graduated in May with bachelor’s degree in psychology
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Earned automatic berth in NCAA Championships in first season as starter at 197 pounds after finishing as ACC runner-up
• Posted 21-11 record, including 13-4 mark in duals
• Notched 7-3 win over Oklahoma State's Blake Rosholt at NCAAs
• Was strong in back half of season, winning 11 of last 14 bouts entering NCAA Championships
• Upset top-seeded Christian Boley of Maryland in ACC semifinals with takedown in sudden-victory time
• Posted seven wins against 2014 NCAA qualifiers, including pair of decisions over NCAA seeds: No. 9 seed Boley and No. 10 seed Jace Bennett of Cornell
• Posted 12-7 record while spending time at 184 and 197 pounds
• Was 5-3 at 197 and 7-4 at 184
• Won his final five bouts of the season
• Seven of his 12 wins resulted in bonus points (three falls, one tech fall, four major decisions)
• Five of seven losses came to NCAA qualifiers
• Defeated NCAA qualifier Nick Vetterlein of Virginia Tech at Virginia Duals (1/12)
• Earned 4-0 decision over Hofstra's Tim Murphy at NWCA National Duals (2/17)
• Recorded three wins at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2)
• Redshirt season
• Went 21-10 while competing unattached in open tournaments
• Won the 197-pound title at Appalachian Open (1/28)
• Placed third at Cleveland State Open, winning five straight matches after an opening loss (12/18)
• Posted three wins at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2)
EAST PENNSBORO HIGH SCHOOL
• State runner-up (215)
• Took fourth place at state meet (215)
• Placed third at Super 32 tournament (215)
• Ranked No. 20 nationally as a senior
• Career record of 139-15
• Four-time Area All-Star
• Coached by Todd Klucker
• Also pitched for four years for baseball team; was Rawlings All-East Coast Honorable Mention selection
• Member of National Honor Society and honor roll
• Parents are Thomas and Julia Nye
• Has one sister, Rachel
• Uncle, Michael Nauman, wrestled at Lock Haven
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
*denotes redshirt season
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Mueller Sets Sights on World Title
Wrestling | 6/11/2018
Early this month, rising junior Jack Mueller clinched a spot on the U.S. team for the U23...
Mueller Secures Spot On U23 World Team
Wrestling | 6/3/2018
Rising junior Jack Mueller secured a spot on the U23 World Team when he won his weight class at...
UVA Wrestlers Open Competition At U23 World Team Trials...
Wrestling | 6/1/2018
Twelve members of the Virginia wrestling team compete for a spot on the U23 World Team at the...
Virginia Wrestlers Achieve Academic Success In Spring Semester
Wrestling | 5/22/2018
Members of the Virginia wrestling program achieved academic success this spring with five earning...
Cavaliers Experience Success At 2018 US Open Championships
Wrestling | 4/30/2018
Members of the UVA wrestling program and the Cavalier Wrestling Club RTC experienced success over...
NWCA Tabs Atkinson, Hayes As All-Academic Selections
Wrestling | 4/23/2018
The National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) has tabbed Virginia wrestlers Andrew Atkinson...
Atkinson, Hayes Named To ACC All-Academic Wrestling Team
Wrestling | 04/19/2018
A pair of Virginia wrestlers were recognized by the league office for achievement in competition ...
Cavaliers' Run At NCAA Championships Ends Friday
Wrestling | 03/16/2018
Virginia's run at the NCAA Championships came to an end on Friday night as Louie Hayes and Jack...
- Online Stores