Atkinson, Gillen and Nye earn recognition for academic and athletic achievement
DiCamillo, Nye remain alive for day two at NCAA Championships
Five Cavaliers begin competition at Madison Square Garden Thursday morning
DiCamillo seeded sixth, Nye seeded 14th to lead Cavaliers
Cavaliers have five wrestlers headed to championship event at Madison Square Garden
2014, 2015 ACC Runner-Up - 197 pounds
• Earned his third consecutive NCAA Championships berth
• Posted a 26-12 record wrestling at 197 pounds
• Tallied three tech falls and a major decision
• Claimed the championship at the Clarion Open (11/1)
• Opened the season 10-1 with his only loss to No. 7 Brett Pfarr of Minnesota (11/7)
• Finished fifth at the Southern Scuffle (1/1-1/2), going 5-2
• Went 2-2 at the ACC Championships
• Went 2-2 at the NCAA Championships, defeating Anthony Abro (Western Michigan) and Owen Scott
(Cornell), but falling to Brett Pfarr (Minnesota) and Jared Haught (Va. Tech)
• Named to All-ACC Academic Team
• Named an NWCA All-Academic Selection
• Qualified for NCAA Championships at 197 pounds for second straight year
• Automatic NCAA qualifier after runner-up finish at ACC Championships (3/8)
• Ranked No. 11 at 197 in final Flowrestling rankings, No. 12 by WIN, No. 14 by InterMat and No. 16 by AWN and TheOpenMat
• Was 0-2 at NCAA Championships – fell 3-0 to No. 2 seed Morgan McIntosh (Penn State) before being eliminated by West Virginia’s Jake Smith on riding time in second tiebreaker
• Went 5-8 against 2015 NCAA qualifiers
• Placed eighth at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2)
• Seven of eight defeats came to ranked opponents
• Was 4-1 in ACC duals (three of wins came in overtime periods); all five determined by two points or fewer
• Missed much of November and December with injury
• Graduated in May with bachelor’s degree in psychology
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Earned automatic berth in NCAA Championships in first season as starter at 197 pounds after finishing as ACC runner-up
• Posted 21-11 record, including 13-4 mark in duals
• Notched 7-3 win over Oklahoma State's Blake Rosholt at NCAAs
• Was strong in back half of season, winning 11 of last 14 bouts entering NCAA Championships
• Upset top-seeded Christian Boley of Maryland in ACC semifinals with takedown in sudden-victory time
• Posted seven wins against 2014 NCAA qualifiers, including pair of decisions over NCAA seeds: No. 9 seed Boley and No. 10 seed Jace Bennett of Cornell
• Posted 12-7 record while spending time at 184 and 197 pounds
• Was 5-3 at 197 and 7-4 at 184
• Won his final five bouts of the season
• Seven of his 12 wins resulted in bonus points (three falls, one tech fall, four major decisions)
• Five of seven losses came to NCAA qualifiers
• Defeated NCAA qualifier Nick Vetterlein of Virginia Tech at Virginia Duals (1/12)
• Earned 4-0 decision over Hofstra's Tim Murphy at NWCA National Duals (2/17)
• Recorded three wins at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2)
• Redshirt season
• Went 21-10 while competing unattached in open tournaments
• Won the 197-pound title at Appalachian Open (1/28)
• Placed third at Cleveland State Open, winning five straight matches after an opening loss (12/18)
• Posted three wins at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2)
EAST PENNSBORO HIGH SCHOOL
• State runner-up (215)
• Took fourth place at state meet (215)
• Placed third at Super 32 tournament (215)
• Ranked No. 20 nationally as a senior
• Career record of 139-15
• Four-time Area All-Star
• Coached by Todd Klucker
• Also pitched for four years for baseball team; was Rawlings All-East Coast Honorable Mention selection
• Member of National Honor Society and honor roll
• Parents are Thomas and Julia Nye
• Has one sister, Rachel
• Uncle, Michael Nauman, wrestled at Lock Haven
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
*denotes redshirt season
Hunter Dazzles as 'Hoos Stay UnbeatenMen's Basketball11/19/17Behind a career-high 23 points from redshirt freshman De'Andre Hunter, unbeaten Virginia defeated Monmouth 73-53 on Sunday at JPJ.'Hoos Rue Missed OpportunityFootball11/18/17On an afternoon when Kurt Benkert threw four touchdown passes, Virginia twice built 14-point leads before falling 44-28 to No. 2 Miami at Hard Rock Stadium.Cavalier Football Notebook -- Miami WeekFootball11/16/17Two regular-season games remain for Virginia (6-4 overall, 3-3 ACC), which plays No. 2 Miami (9-0, 6-0) at noon Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Six Cavaliers Compete At Wolfpack Open On Sunday
Wrestling | 11/19/2017
Cam Coy finished second and Sam Book took sixth to lead six Cavaliers in competition at the...
Virginia Takes Down Gardner-Webb 30-11 In Home Opener
Wrestling | 11/17/2017
Early bonus-point victories set the tone for Virginia on Friday as the Cavaliers defeated Gardner...
Virginia Hosts Gardner-Webb At AFC On Friday
Wrestling | 11/16/2017
The Virginia wrestling team hosts its first home dual of the season at 7 p.m. on Friday at the...
Cavaliers Close Weekend At Journeymen Northeast Classic
Wrestling | 11/12/2017
Five members of the Virginia wrestling team competed as individuals in the Journeymen Northeast...
Virginia Falls To Kent State, No. 12 Rutgers At Journeymen...
Wrestling | 11/11/2017
Andrew Atkinson and Will Schany both picked up two wins Saturday to lead Virginia in action at...
Virginia To Face Kent State, No. 12 Rutgers At Journeymen Duals
Wrestling | 11/10/2017
The Virginia wrestling team will open dual competition against Kent State and No. 12 Rutgers at...
Hayes, Schany Take First To Lead Virginia At Clarion Open
Wrestling | 11/05/2017
Louie Hayes and Will Schany both took first place in their weight class to lead Virginia at the...
Virginia Begins 2017-18 Season At Clarion Open Sunday
Wrestling | 11/04/2017
The Virginia wrestling team kicks off the 2017-18 season on Sunday, competing at the Clarion Open...
- Online Stores