Conference has record 4,143 student-athletes recognized
Cavaliers finish regular season Thursday at Memorial Gymnasium
UVa wins 25 of 30 bouts in victories over Anderson (S.C.), VMI and George Mason
Conference has record 3,967 student-athletes recognized
Cavaliers top West Virginia, Gardner-Webb and Anderson (S.C.)
• Competed in just three bouts before suffering season-ending injury
• Pinned VMI’s Juan Adams in sudden-victory time in his first dual of season (11/2)
• Earned master’s degree in higher education administration in May
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll for third time
• Competed in just two matches before suffering season-ending injury during match against West Virginia's Anthony Vizcarrondo
• Won first match of season against Gardner-Webb's Justin Kozera (11/2)
• Went 8-6 during redshirt sophomore season
• ACC runner-up at heavyweight
• Missed nearly two months with injuries; made return for good during Jan. 18 UNC dual and went 6-1 in duals after his return
• Went 4-1 in ACC duals, with decisions over Cody Klempay (UNC), Brian Self (Duke), Mike Kosoy (NC State) and Dallas Brown (Maryland) and loss to Virginia Tech's David Marone
• Wrestled two ranked foes: then-No. 19 Marone as well as then-No. 9 Jeremy Johnson of Ohio (7-5 loss)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Posted 11-2 record during redshirt freshman season
• Missed a lot of time with two injuries
• After returning from first injury, he went 6-1 in duals before season ended with injury in practice in late February
• Placed second at NC State Open (11/13); took injury default in championship bout
• Redshirt season
• Went 22-9 while competing unattached in open tournaments
• Placed in five open tournaments
• Took runner-up honors at Wolfpack Open (11/14) and Shorty Hitchock Open (1/16); lost to Maryland All-American Spencer Myers in Shorty Hitchcock final
• Placed third at Appalachian State and Edinboro opens (1/29, 2/12)
• Finished fifth in Clarion Open (2/19)
• Advanced to World Team Trials (freestyle) after taking second place at 120 KG/264.5 pounds at FILA Junior World Team Trials (5/21)
• Earned Freestyle All-America honors after fourth-place finish at FILA Nationals (4/10)
BUCKINGHAM, BROWNE AND NICHOLS SCHOOL
• Three-time Massachusetts state champion and four-time finalist
• Three-time Prep All-American
• Named New England Prep Athlete of the Year in 2010
• Named NHSCA Junior All American
• Two-time Junior Freestyle All-American
• Named to Boston Herald and Globe All-Scholastic Team
• Named ISL Wrestler of the Year
• Earned Academic All-American honors
• Was the Massachusetts recipient for the Dave Shultz Award
• Four-year starter
• Coached by Tom Randall at BB&N
• Standout in wrestling as well as football (RB/LB)
• Five-time all-league honoree in football
• Named Massachusetts all-state
• Also named New England and ISL MVP
• Earned MVP honors in Massachusetts All-Star Game
• School President his senior year
• Worked over 100 hours of community service throughout high school
• Parents are Peter and Jean Papagianopoulos
• Has one brother, Billy
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Cavaliers Keep Rolling at JPJMen's Basketball1/15/18No. 3 Virginia remained atop the ACC standings with a 68-51 victory over NC State at John Paul Jones Arena on Sunday night.Singh Back in Familiar SurroundingsMen's Tennis1/12/18Former UVA tennis star Sanam Singh is back at his alma mater as the volunteer assistant coach in the men's program.Hayes Making Immediate ImpactWrestling1/10/18Redshirt freshman Louie Hayes is ranked No. 13 nationally at 125 pounds for Virginia, which competes at the Virginia Duals this weekend in Hampton.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Downs Fresno State 29-15 To Close Virginia Duals
Wrestling | 1/13/2018
The Virginia wrestling team closed out the Virginia Duals on Saturday, picking up a 29-15 win...
Cavaliers Drop Pair Of Duals On Day One Of Virginia Duals
Wrestling | 1/12/2018
The Virginia wrestling team dropped a pair of contests on Friday in the first day of competition ...
Cavaliers Open Competition At Virginia Duals On Friday
Wrestling | 1/11/2018
The Virginia wrestling team will face Iowa State and No. 10 Arizona State on Friday morning as...
Jeff White: Hayes Making Immediate Impact
Wrestling | 1/10/2018
Redshirt freshman Louie Hayes is ranked No. 13 nationally at 125 pounds for UVA, which competes...
Pools Released For This Weekend's Virginia Duals
Wrestling | 1/9/2018
Pools have been announced for this weekend's Virginia Duals and the Cavaliers will face Iowa...
Mueller Wins Southern Scuffle Title To Lead Virginia
Wrestling | 1/2/2018
Jack Mueller won the Southern Scuffle at 133 pounds on Tuesday leading a group of three place-win...
Three Cavaliers Advance To Southern Scuffle Semifinals
Wrestling | 01/01/2018
Three Virginia wrestlers advanced to the semifinals of the Southern Scuffle while two more...
Virginia Opens 2018 At Southern Scuffle On Monday
Wrestling | 12/31/2017
The Virginia wrestling program kicks off the new year at the Southern Scuffle on Monday, opening ...
- Online Stores