Conference has record 4,143 student-athletes recognized
Cavaliers finish regular season Thursday at Memorial Gymnasium
UVa wins 25 of 30 bouts in victories over Anderson (S.C.), VMI and George Mason
Conference has record 3,967 student-athletes recognized
Cavaliers top West Virginia, Gardner-Webb and Anderson (S.C.)
• Competed in just three bouts before suffering season-ending injury
• Pinned VMI’s Juan Adams in sudden-victory time in his first dual of season (11/2)
• Earned master’s degree in higher education administration in May
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll for third time
• Competed in just two matches before suffering season-ending injury during match against West Virginia's Anthony Vizcarrondo
• Won first match of season against Gardner-Webb's Justin Kozera (11/2)
• Went 8-6 during redshirt sophomore season
• ACC runner-up at heavyweight
• Missed nearly two months with injuries; made return for good during Jan. 18 UNC dual and went 6-1 in duals after his return
• Went 4-1 in ACC duals, with decisions over Cody Klempay (UNC), Brian Self (Duke), Mike Kosoy (NC State) and Dallas Brown (Maryland) and loss to Virginia Tech's David Marone
• Wrestled two ranked foes: then-No. 19 Marone as well as then-No. 9 Jeremy Johnson of Ohio (7-5 loss)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Posted 11-2 record during redshirt freshman season
• Missed a lot of time with two injuries
• After returning from first injury, he went 6-1 in duals before season ended with injury in practice in late February
• Placed second at NC State Open (11/13); took injury default in championship bout
• Redshirt season
• Went 22-9 while competing unattached in open tournaments
• Placed in five open tournaments
• Took runner-up honors at Wolfpack Open (11/14) and Shorty Hitchock Open (1/16); lost to Maryland All-American Spencer Myers in Shorty Hitchcock final
• Placed third at Appalachian State and Edinboro opens (1/29, 2/12)
• Finished fifth in Clarion Open (2/19)
• Advanced to World Team Trials (freestyle) after taking second place at 120 KG/264.5 pounds at FILA Junior World Team Trials (5/21)
• Earned Freestyle All-America honors after fourth-place finish at FILA Nationals (4/10)
BUCKINGHAM, BROWNE AND NICHOLS SCHOOL
• Three-time Massachusetts state champion and four-time finalist
• Three-time Prep All-American
• Named New England Prep Athlete of the Year in 2010
• Named NHSCA Junior All American
• Two-time Junior Freestyle All-American
• Named to Boston Herald and Globe All-Scholastic Team
• Named ISL Wrestler of the Year
• Earned Academic All-American honors
• Was the Massachusetts recipient for the Dave Shultz Award
• Four-year starter
• Coached by Tom Randall at BB&N
• Standout in wrestling as well as football (RB/LB)
• Five-time all-league honoree in football
• Named Massachusetts all-state
• Also named New England and ISL MVP
• Earned MVP honors in Massachusetts All-Star Game
• School President his senior year
• Worked over 100 hours of community service throughout high school
• Parents are Peter and Jean Papagianopoulos
• Has one brother, Billy
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Cavalier Football: Virginia Tech PostscriptFootball11/29/15Virginia's sixth season under head coach Mike London ended Saturday with a 23-20 loss to Virginia Tech at Scott Stadium.End Comes Too Soon for 'HoosWomen's Soccer11/28/15In women's soccer, Virginia finished with a 19-1-13 after falling in the NCAA quarterfinals to Rutgers in a penalty-kick shootout Friday at Klöckner Stadium.Stage Set for Season FinaleFootball11/27/15At noon Saturday, in the rivals' annual clash for the Commonwealth Cup, Virginia (4-7, 3-4) meets Virginia Tech (5-6, 3-4) at Scott Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 23 Virginia Grabs 21-16 Win Over No. 15 Old Dominion
Wrestling | 11/15/2015
Heavyweight Pat Gillen set the tone early with a pin and freshman Fox Baldwin closed things out...
No. 23 Virginia Hosts No. 15 Old Dominion Sunday
Wrestling | 11/14/2015
The No. 23 Virginia wrestling team wrestles at home for the first time this season, hosting No....
No. 23 Virginia Drops Road Meet With No. 5 Ohio State
Wrestling | 11/13/2015
Garrett Peppelman and Zach Nye picked up victories for No. 23 Virginia as the Cavaliers traveled ...
No. 23 Virginia Travels To Face No. 5 Ohio State Friday
Wrestling | 11/12/2015
The No. 23 Virginia wrestling team continues to wrestle on the road Friday, traveling to face...
Virginia Downs SDSU, Grand Canyon At Gopher Duals
Wrestling | 11/7/2015
The Virginia wrestling team picked up a pair of wins at the Gopher Duals on Saturday, going 2-1...
Virginia Defeats No. 25 North Dakota State 25-14
Wrestling | 11/6/2015
Virginia won its final three bouts of the afternoon to rally for a 25-14 win over No. 25 North...
Virginia Travels To Face No. 25 North Dakota State Friday
Wrestling | 11/05/2015
Virginia competes in its first dual meet of the season when it travels to take on No. 25 North...
Jeff White: Team Takes Priority for Virginia Wrestlers
Wrestling | 11/04/2015
Fifth-year seniors Patrick Gillen and Ethan Hayes are battling for the starting job at...
- Online Stores