Conference has record 4,143 student-athletes recognized
Cavaliers finish regular season Thursday at Memorial Gymnasium
UVa wins 25 of 30 bouts in victories over Anderson (S.C.), VMI and George Mason
Conference has record 3,967 student-athletes recognized
Cavaliers top West Virginia, Gardner-Webb and Anderson (S.C.)
• Competed in just three bouts before suffering season-ending injury
• Pinned VMI’s Juan Adams in sudden-victory time in his first dual of season (11/2)
• Earned master’s degree in higher education administration in May
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll for third time
• Competed in just two matches before suffering season-ending injury during match against West Virginia's Anthony Vizcarrondo
• Won first match of season against Gardner-Webb's Justin Kozera (11/2)
• Went 8-6 during redshirt sophomore season
• ACC runner-up at heavyweight
• Missed nearly two months with injuries; made return for good during Jan. 18 UNC dual and went 6-1 in duals after his return
• Went 4-1 in ACC duals, with decisions over Cody Klempay (UNC), Brian Self (Duke), Mike Kosoy (NC State) and Dallas Brown (Maryland) and loss to Virginia Tech's David Marone
• Wrestled two ranked foes: then-No. 19 Marone as well as then-No. 9 Jeremy Johnson of Ohio (7-5 loss)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Posted 11-2 record during redshirt freshman season
• Missed a lot of time with two injuries
• After returning from first injury, he went 6-1 in duals before season ended with injury in practice in late February
• Placed second at NC State Open (11/13); took injury default in championship bout
• Redshirt season
• Went 22-9 while competing unattached in open tournaments
• Placed in five open tournaments
• Took runner-up honors at Wolfpack Open (11/14) and Shorty Hitchock Open (1/16); lost to Maryland All-American Spencer Myers in Shorty Hitchcock final
• Placed third at Appalachian State and Edinboro opens (1/29, 2/12)
• Finished fifth in Clarion Open (2/19)
• Advanced to World Team Trials (freestyle) after taking second place at 120 KG/264.5 pounds at FILA Junior World Team Trials (5/21)
• Earned Freestyle All-America honors after fourth-place finish at FILA Nationals (4/10)
BUCKINGHAM, BROWNE AND NICHOLS SCHOOL
• Three-time Massachusetts state champion and four-time finalist
• Three-time Prep All-American
• Named New England Prep Athlete of the Year in 2010
• Named NHSCA Junior All American
• Two-time Junior Freestyle All-American
• Named to Boston Herald and Globe All-Scholastic Team
• Named ISL Wrestler of the Year
• Earned Academic All-American honors
• Was the Massachusetts recipient for the Dave Shultz Award
• Four-year starter
• Coached by Tom Randall at BB&N
• Standout in wrestling as well as football (RB/LB)
• Five-time all-league honoree in football
• Named Massachusetts all-state
• Also named New England and ISL MVP
• Earned MVP honors in Massachusetts All-Star Game
• School President his senior year
• Worked over 100 hours of community service throughout high school
• Parents are Peter and Jean Papagianopoulos
• Has one brother, Billy
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Transfers Eager to Help Lift ProgramFootball5/26/16UVA's football team added three transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared Cohen and defensive end Jack Powers.Cavaliers' Reign Atop NCAA ContinuesMen's Tennis5/25/16With a 4-1 win over Oklahoma on Tuesday night, top-seeded Virginia captured its second straight NCAA men's title and third in four seasons.Mihaljevic's Star Continues to RiseTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/16In junior Filip Mihaljevic, Virginia's track & field team has one of the nation's elite shot putters and discus throwers.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Three Virginia Wrestlers Named NWCA All-Academic
Wrestling | 5/9/2016
Three members of the Virginia wrestling team were selected as NWCA All-Academic honorees the...
Five Wrestlers Named All-ACC Academic Team Selections
Wrestling | 4/26/2016
Five members of the Virginia wrestling team were named All-ACC Academic Team selections the...
Virginia Announces Addition Of Edwin Rubio For 2016-17
Wrestling | 4/13/2016
Virginia head coach announced Wednesday that heavyweight Edwin Rubio has signed a financial aid...
Jay Aiello To Join Virginia Wrestling Program
Wrestling | 4/4/2016
Virginia head coach Steve Garland announced Monday that Jay Aiello has signed a financial aid...
DiCamillo's Run Ends At NCAA Championships
Wrestling | 3/18/2016
George DiCamillo's run at the NCAA Championships ended on a late near fall Friday night in the...
DiCamillo Through To NCAA Round of 12
Wrestling | 3/18/2016
Virginia redshirt junior George DiCamillo advanced to the NCAA Round of 12 where he will face...
DiCamillo Advances To NCAA Quarterfinals
Wrestling | 03/17/2016
George DiCamillo picked up a pair of wins to advance to the NCAA quarterfinals, while Zach Nye...
Virginia Begins NCAA Championships Thursday
Wrestling | 03/16/2016
Virginia opens competition at the NCAA Championships on Thursday, marking the 10th consecutive...
- Online Stores