Cavaliers finish regular season Thursday at Memorial Gymnasium
Bison claim final four bouts
He wrestles Tyler Caldwell of Oklahoma State this evening
Five Cavaliers remain alive after first day of action
Four Cavaliers win opening matches
2012, 2014 NCAA Qualifier - 149 poundsAT VIRGINIA: 2014-15
• Had season cut short by injuries
• Was 3-5 in limited action; three of his five losses came to top-15 ranked opponents
• Pinned Bucknell’s Victor Lopez in dual action (12/20)
AT VIRGINIA: 2013-14
• Earned automatic berth into NCAA Championships after third-place finish at ACC Championships
• Was No. 7 seed at 149 pounds at NCAA Championships
• Posted 19-5 record, including 10-1 mark in duals
• Was 1-2 at NCAAs, with 7-4 win over Northern Illinois' Robert Jillard in first round
• Placed fourth at Southern Scuffle at 149 pounds (1/1-2)
• Over half of his wins came against NCAA qualifiers (11 of 19); went 11-4 against NCAA qualifiers, including 4-2 against national seeds
• Regular-season wins over national seeds included No. 10 Zach Neibert of Virginia Tech, No. 15 Mitchell Minotti of Lehigh, No. 16 Alexander Richardson of ODU and No. 3 Chris Villalonga of Cornell (medical)
• Missed several weeks in December and January with injuries
• Seven of his 19 wins came by fall
• Redshirt season
• Standout while competing unattached for season, going 24-5 while placing in four tournaments at 149 pounds
• Champion at East Stroudsburg Open (11/17), winning all six bouts
• Took runner-up honors at Nittany Lion Open (12/2), falling to sixth-ranked Andrew Alton of Penn State in final
• Took third place at Wolfpack Open (11/11) and fifth at Hokie Open (11/4)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Posted a 22-8 record as sophomore
• One of team's most pleasant surprises this year after moving up to 149 pounds; earned at-large berth to NCAA Championships
• Went 2-2 at NCAAs, including a 10-8 win over No. 5 seed Ian Miller of Kent State in the wrestlebacks
• Also defeated Mario Mason of Rutgers by medical forfeit at NCAAs
• Wrestled three seeded wrestlers at NCAAs
• Earned 11 wins in last 14 matches heading into NCAAs
• Went 5-7 against wrestlers who made the NCAA field
• Ranked 19th in final WIN Magazine poll, 20th in InterMat poll
• Was 19th in final NCAA RPI and 21st in final NCAA Coaches rankings
• Second on team with seven pins
• Was 3-1 in ACC duals; lone loss came to NC State's Matt Nereim (Sako led 13-1 before Nereim put Sako on his back for pin)
• Won by major decision against AJ Guardado (Duke) and Ben Dorsay (Maryland) and a 5-3 decision over Jon Burns (UNC)
• Did not compete until mid-December because of injury
• In first tournament back, he took fourth at Cleveland State Open (12/18)
• Placed seventh at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2); knocked off then-No. 18 Craig Eifert of Cornell in the seventh-place bout
• Named ACC Wrestler of the Week after his 5-3 upset win over then-No. 5 Mario Mason of Rutgers on Feb. 4
• Went 24-19 during freshman season
• Competed at 133 for first two open tournaments, then bumped up to 141
• Took eighth place at 141 at Southern Scuffle (12/29-30)
• Placed third at Clarion Open (2/19), coming through consolation bracket and winning seven matches
• Wrestled five ranked opponents over course of season
ST. EDWARD HIGH SCHOOL
• Two-time Ohio State Champion
• Won 103-pound state title in 2008 and 125-pound title in 2010
• Was state runner-up at 112 his junior year (2009)
• Career record was 148-13
• Two-time placewinner at Ironman (fourth, seventh)
• Placed second at FILA Cadets (2008)
• Took third at Fargo Cadets (2008)
• Coached by Greg Urbas at St. Edward
• Also was a high school teammate of fellow UVa wrestler Nick Sulzer
• Was Academic All-American for three years; also was member of National Honor Society
• Parents are Guy and Ashley Sako
• Has one sister, Elise
• Earned bachelor's degree in economics in May 2014
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Mueller Sets Sights on World Title
Wrestling | 6/11/2018
Early this month, rising junior Jack Mueller clinched a spot on the U.S. team for the U23...
Mueller Secures Spot On U23 World Team
Wrestling | 6/3/2018
Rising junior Jack Mueller secured a spot on the U23 World Team when he won his weight class at...
UVA Wrestlers Open Competition At U23 World Team Trials...
Wrestling | 6/1/2018
Twelve members of the Virginia wrestling team compete for a spot on the U23 World Team at the...
Virginia Wrestlers Achieve Academic Success In Spring Semester
Wrestling | 5/22/2018
Members of the Virginia wrestling program achieved academic success this spring with five earning...
Cavaliers Experience Success At 2018 US Open Championships
Wrestling | 4/30/2018
Members of the UVA wrestling program and the Cavalier Wrestling Club RTC experienced success over...
NWCA Tabs Atkinson, Hayes As All-Academic Selections
Wrestling | 4/23/2018
The National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) has tabbed Virginia wrestlers Andrew Atkinson...
Atkinson, Hayes Named To ACC All-Academic Wrestling Team
Wrestling | 04/19/2018
A pair of Virginia wrestlers were recognized by the league office for achievement in competition ...
Cavaliers' Run At NCAA Championships Ends Friday
Wrestling | 03/16/2018
Virginia's run at the NCAA Championships came to an end on Friday night as Louie Hayes and Jack...
- Online Stores