Cavaliers finish regular season Thursday at Memorial Gymnasium
Bison claim final four bouts
He wrestles Tyler Caldwell of Oklahoma State this evening
Five Cavaliers remain alive after first day of action
Four Cavaliers win opening matches
2012, 2014 NCAA Qualifier - 149 poundsAT VIRGINIA: 2014-15
• Had season cut short by injuries
• Was 3-5 in limited action; three of his five losses came to top-15 ranked opponents
• Pinned Bucknell’s Victor Lopez in dual action (12/20)
AT VIRGINIA: 2013-14
• Earned automatic berth into NCAA Championships after third-place finish at ACC Championships
• Was No. 7 seed at 149 pounds at NCAA Championships
• Posted 19-5 record, including 10-1 mark in duals
• Was 1-2 at NCAAs, with 7-4 win over Northern Illinois' Robert Jillard in first round
• Placed fourth at Southern Scuffle at 149 pounds (1/1-2)
• Over half of his wins came against NCAA qualifiers (11 of 19); went 11-4 against NCAA qualifiers, including 4-2 against national seeds
• Regular-season wins over national seeds included No. 10 Zach Neibert of Virginia Tech, No. 15 Mitchell Minotti of Lehigh, No. 16 Alexander Richardson of ODU and No. 3 Chris Villalonga of Cornell (medical)
• Missed several weeks in December and January with injuries
• Seven of his 19 wins came by fall
• Redshirt season
• Standout while competing unattached for season, going 24-5 while placing in four tournaments at 149 pounds
• Champion at East Stroudsburg Open (11/17), winning all six bouts
• Took runner-up honors at Nittany Lion Open (12/2), falling to sixth-ranked Andrew Alton of Penn State in final
• Took third place at Wolfpack Open (11/11) and fifth at Hokie Open (11/4)
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Posted a 22-8 record as sophomore
• One of team's most pleasant surprises this year after moving up to 149 pounds; earned at-large berth to NCAA Championships
• Went 2-2 at NCAAs, including a 10-8 win over No. 5 seed Ian Miller of Kent State in the wrestlebacks
• Also defeated Mario Mason of Rutgers by medical forfeit at NCAAs
• Wrestled three seeded wrestlers at NCAAs
• Earned 11 wins in last 14 matches heading into NCAAs
• Went 5-7 against wrestlers who made the NCAA field
• Ranked 19th in final WIN Magazine poll, 20th in InterMat poll
• Was 19th in final NCAA RPI and 21st in final NCAA Coaches rankings
• Second on team with seven pins
• Was 3-1 in ACC duals; lone loss came to NC State's Matt Nereim (Sako led 13-1 before Nereim put Sako on his back for pin)
• Won by major decision against AJ Guardado (Duke) and Ben Dorsay (Maryland) and a 5-3 decision over Jon Burns (UNC)
• Did not compete until mid-December because of injury
• In first tournament back, he took fourth at Cleveland State Open (12/18)
• Placed seventh at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2); knocked off then-No. 18 Craig Eifert of Cornell in the seventh-place bout
• Named ACC Wrestler of the Week after his 5-3 upset win over then-No. 5 Mario Mason of Rutgers on Feb. 4
• Went 24-19 during freshman season
• Competed at 133 for first two open tournaments, then bumped up to 141
• Took eighth place at 141 at Southern Scuffle (12/29-30)
• Placed third at Clarion Open (2/19), coming through consolation bracket and winning seven matches
• Wrestled five ranked opponents over course of season
ST. EDWARD HIGH SCHOOL
• Two-time Ohio State Champion
• Won 103-pound state title in 2008 and 125-pound title in 2010
• Was state runner-up at 112 his junior year (2009)
• Career record was 148-13
• Two-time placewinner at Ironman (fourth, seventh)
• Placed second at FILA Cadets (2008)
• Took third at Fargo Cadets (2008)
• Coached by Greg Urbas at St. Edward
• Also was a high school teammate of fellow UVa wrestler Nick Sulzer
• Was Academic All-American for three years; also was member of National Honor Society
• Parents are Guy and Ashley Sako
• Has one sister, Elise
• Earned bachelor's degree in economics in May 2014
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
Morse Making Seamless Transition at UVAWomen's Soccer10/26/16Midfielder Zoe Morse has played the most of any freshman for No. 8 Virginia, which closes the regular season Thursday night at Louisville.Ellis Thrilled to Back in CoachingWrestling10/24/16The newest member of the Virginia wrestling team's coaching staff is assistant Mark Ellis, who won an NCAA title as a heavyweight at Missouri.North Carolina PostscriptFootball10/23/16Virginia, which trailed 14-7 at halftime, lost 35-14 to No. 22 North Carolina in an ACC game Saturday at Scott Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Ellis Thrilled to Back in Coaching
Wrestling | 10/24/2016
The new member of Virginia's coaching staff is assistant Mark Ellis, who won an NCAA title as a...
Wrestling To Hold Outdoor Practice, Meet The Team Day This...
Wrestling | 10/20/2016
The Virginia wrestling team will host its annual outdoor practice Saturday afternoon prior to...
Jordan Leen Elevated To Associate Head Coach
Wrestling | 10/7/2016
Jordan Leen, a former NCAA champion in his sixth season with the Virginia wrestling program, has ...
Virginia Announces Hiring Of Mark Ellis As Assistant Coach
Wrestling | 9/24/2016
Virginia head coach Steve Garland announced the hiring of NCAA Champion and two-time All-American...
Virginia Announces 2016-17 Wrestling Schedule
Wrestling | 8/30/2016
Virginia head coach Steve Garland announced the 2016-17 wrestling schedule on Tuesday, with dual ...
Three Virginia Wrestlers Named NWCA All-Academic
Wrestling | 5/9/2016
Three members of the Virginia wrestling team were selected as NWCA All-Academic honorees the...
Five Wrestlers Named All-ACC Academic Team Selections
Wrestling | 04/26/2016
Five members of the Virginia wrestling team were named All-ACC Academic Team selections the...
Virginia Announces Addition Of Edwin Rubio For 2016-17
Wrestling | 04/13/2016
Virginia head coach announced Wednesday that heavyweight Edwin Rubio has signed a financial aid...
- Online Stores