Six Cavaliers begin quest for NCAA Championships in opening round Thursday morning
Hayes earns No. 12 seed at 125 pounds, while Mueller earns No. 10 seed at 133 pounds
Atkinson, DiCamillo and Mueller grab bonus point victories to pace Cavalier offense
2018 NCAA Qualifer - Heavyweight
• NCAA qualifier at heavyweight after a fifth-place finish at the ACC Championships
• Posted a 9-19 record on the season with a 4-10 mark in dual matches
• Dual wins came against Gardner-Webb, Bloomsburg, Arizona State and Old Dominion
• Tallied 12 dual points for the Cavaliers on the season
• Went 2-2 at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2) with wins over Matt Wagner (Air Force) and Andrew Piehl (Navy)
• Posted a 15-22 record, moving up to heavyweight mid-season
• Finished third at the Clarion Open (11/6) to open the season at 197 pounds
• Moved to heavyweight prior to the Cavalier Duals (11/20)
• Finished third at the Wilkes Open (12/22) with a 4-1 mark
• Redshirt season
• Wrestled unattached at 184 and 197 pounds at five open tournaments
• Posted a 15-14 record
• Competed at the Clarion Open (11/1), Hokie Open (11/8), Mat Town Open (11/22), Nittany Lion Open (12/7), Wilkes Open (12/28), F&M Open (12/30) and Shorty Hitchcock Memorial (1/16)
• Finished seventh at the Nittany Lion Open, posting a 4-2 record
• Two-time Virginia 6A state champion at 195 pounds, three-time state placer
• 2014 Runner-up Beast of the East (195 pounds)
• 2015 Runner-up NHSCA Senior Nationals (195 pounds ) and four-time NHSCA All-American
• Two-time Flo Nationals All-American (195 pounds)
• Two-time Virginia 6A Northern Region Outstanding Wrestler
• Two-time 1st team All-Met at 195 pounds (Washington Metropolitan area)
• Holds Centreville High School most career wins record at 169
• Coached by John Belyea
• In football, was a three-year varsity starting middle linebacker and won Virginia 6A state football title in 2014 and was state runner-up in 2015
• Two-time first-team Virginia 6A All-State Linebacker, and three-time 1st team Virginia 6A All-Conference Linebacker
• Parents are Billy and Alana Love
• Has two sisters, Savanna and Kara
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
* denotes redshirt season
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Mueller Sets Sights on World Title
Wrestling | 6/11/2018
Early this month, rising junior Jack Mueller clinched a spot on the U.S. team for the U23...
Mueller Secures Spot On U23 World Team
Wrestling | 6/3/2018
Rising junior Jack Mueller secured a spot on the U23 World Team when he won his weight class at...
UVA Wrestlers Open Competition At U23 World Team Trials...
Wrestling | 6/1/2018
Twelve members of the Virginia wrestling team compete for a spot on the U23 World Team at the...
Virginia Wrestlers Achieve Academic Success In Spring Semester
Wrestling | 5/22/2018
Members of the Virginia wrestling program achieved academic success this spring with five earning...
Cavaliers Experience Success At 2018 US Open Championships
Wrestling | 4/30/2018
Members of the UVA wrestling program and the Cavalier Wrestling Club RTC experienced success over...
NWCA Tabs Atkinson, Hayes As All-Academic Selections
Wrestling | 4/23/2018
The National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) has tabbed Virginia wrestlers Andrew Atkinson...
Atkinson, Hayes Named To ACC All-Academic Wrestling Team
Wrestling | 04/19/2018
A pair of Virginia wrestlers were recognized by the league office for achievement in competition ...
Cavaliers' Run At NCAA Championships Ends Friday
Wrestling | 03/16/2018
Virginia's run at the NCAA Championships came to an end on Friday night as Louie Hayes and Jack...
- Online Stores