Atkinson, Gillen and Nye earn recognition for academic and athletic achievement
DiCamillo, Nye remain alive for day two at NCAA Championships
Five Cavaliers begin competition at Madison Square Garden Thursday morning
DiCamillo seeded sixth, Nye seeded 14th to lead Cavaliers
Cavaliers have five wrestlers headed to championship event at Madison Square Garden
2014, 2015 ACC Runner-Up - 197 pounds
• Earned his third consecutive NCAA Championships berth
• Posted a 26-12 record wrestling at 197 pounds
• Tallied three tech falls and a major decision
• Claimed the championship at the Clarion Open (11/1)
• Opened the season 10-1 with his only loss to No. 7 Brett Pfarr of Minnesota (11/7)
• Finished fifth at the Southern Scuffle (1/1-1/2), going 5-2
• Went 2-2 at the ACC Championships
• Went 2-2 at the NCAA Championships, defeating Anthony Abro (Western Michigan) and Owen Scott
(Cornell), but falling to Brett Pfarr (Minnesota) and Jared Haught (Va. Tech)
• Named to All-ACC Academic Team
• Named an NWCA All-Academic Selection
• Qualified for NCAA Championships at 197 pounds for second straight year
• Automatic NCAA qualifier after runner-up finish at ACC Championships (3/8)
• Ranked No. 11 at 197 in final Flowrestling rankings, No. 12 by WIN, No. 14 by InterMat and No. 16 by AWN and TheOpenMat
• Was 0-2 at NCAA Championships – fell 3-0 to No. 2 seed Morgan McIntosh (Penn State) before being eliminated by West Virginia’s Jake Smith on riding time in second tiebreaker
• Went 5-8 against 2015 NCAA qualifiers
• Placed eighth at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2)
• Seven of eight defeats came to ranked opponents
• Was 4-1 in ACC duals (three of wins came in overtime periods); all five determined by two points or fewer
• Missed much of November and December with injury
• Graduated in May with bachelor’s degree in psychology
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Earned automatic berth in NCAA Championships in first season as starter at 197 pounds after finishing as ACC runner-up
• Posted 21-11 record, including 13-4 mark in duals
• Notched 7-3 win over Oklahoma State's Blake Rosholt at NCAAs
• Was strong in back half of season, winning 11 of last 14 bouts entering NCAA Championships
• Upset top-seeded Christian Boley of Maryland in ACC semifinals with takedown in sudden-victory time
• Posted seven wins against 2014 NCAA qualifiers, including pair of decisions over NCAA seeds: No. 9 seed Boley and No. 10 seed Jace Bennett of Cornell
• Posted 12-7 record while spending time at 184 and 197 pounds
• Was 5-3 at 197 and 7-4 at 184
• Won his final five bouts of the season
• Seven of his 12 wins resulted in bonus points (three falls, one tech fall, four major decisions)
• Five of seven losses came to NCAA qualifiers
• Defeated NCAA qualifier Nick Vetterlein of Virginia Tech at Virginia Duals (1/12)
• Earned 4-0 decision over Hofstra's Tim Murphy at NWCA National Duals (2/17)
• Recorded three wins at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2)
• Redshirt season
• Went 21-10 while competing unattached in open tournaments
• Won the 197-pound title at Appalachian Open (1/28)
• Placed third at Cleveland State Open, winning five straight matches after an opening loss (12/18)
• Posted three wins at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2)
EAST PENNSBORO HIGH SCHOOL
• State runner-up (215)
• Took fourth place at state meet (215)
• Placed third at Super 32 tournament (215)
• Ranked No. 20 nationally as a senior
• Career record of 139-15
• Four-time Area All-Star
• Coached by Todd Klucker
• Also pitched for four years for baseball team; was Rawlings All-East Coast Honorable Mention selection
• Member of National Honor Society and honor roll
• Parents are Thomas and Julia Nye
• Has one sister, Rachel
• Uncle, Michael Nauman, wrestled at Lock Haven
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
*denotes redshirt season
'Hoos Find Winning Formula on RoadMen's Basketball1/14/17Led by senior London Perrantes and junior Marial Shayok, No. 19 Virginia defeated ACC rival Clemson 77-73 at Littlejohn Coliseum on Saturday.Salt Carving Out Niche at UVAMen's Basketball1/13/17Jack Salt, a redshirt sophomore from New Zealand, starts at center for No. 19 Virginia, which plays Saturday at ACC rival Clemson.Fong Helping Lead Cavaliers' ResurgenceSwimming & Diving1/10/17The UVA men's swimming & diving team, which hosts Virginia Tech this weekend at the Aquatic & Fitness Center, is ranked No. 15 nationally.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Cavaliers Down Lock Haven To Win Virginia Duals Silver...
Wrestling | 1/14/2017
The No. 24 Virginia (8-3) wrestling team defeated Lock Haven on Saturday to win the Silver...
Cavaliers Down The Citadel, Bucknell At Virginia Duals
Wrestling | 1/13/2017
The No. 24 Virginia (7-3) wrestling team defeated The Citadel and Bucknell at the Virginia Duals ...
Cavaliers Open Competition At Virginia Duals Friday
Wrestling | 1/12/2017
The Cavaliers open competition at the Virginia Duals on Friday morning, facing The Citadel and...
Cavalier Trio Places At Southern Scuffle
Wrestling | 1/2/2017
Jack Mueller finished second, while Andrew Atkinson and George DiCamillo both finished fourth in ...
Three Cavaliers Advance To Southern Scuffle Semifinals
Wrestling | 1/1/2017
Three Cavaliers went undefeated on day one at the Southern Scuffle to advance to Monday's...
Virginia Opens New Year At Prestigious Southern Scuffle
Wrestling | 12/31/2016
The No. 24 Virginia wrestling team opens the new year in competition, beginning two days of...
No. 24 Virginia Defeats George Mason 27-10
Wrestling | 12/21/2016
The No. 24 Virginia wrestling program picked up a neutral-site victory on Wednesday, defeating...
No. 24 Virginia Faces George Mason In Neutral Site Meet...
Wrestling | 12/20/2016
The No. 24 Virginia wrestling team faces George Mason on Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m. at the St. ...
- Online Stores