Atkinson, Gillen and Nye earn recognition for academic and athletic achievement
DiCamillo, Nye remain alive for day two at NCAA Championships
Five Cavaliers begin competition at Madison Square Garden Thursday morning
DiCamillo seeded sixth, Nye seeded 14th to lead Cavaliers
Cavaliers have five wrestlers headed to championship event at Madison Square Garden
2014, 2015 ACC Runner-Up - 197 pounds
• Earned his third consecutive NCAA Championships berth
• Posted a 26-12 record wrestling at 197 pounds
• Tallied three tech falls and a major decision
• Claimed the championship at the Clarion Open (11/1)
• Opened the season 10-1 with his only loss to No. 7 Brett Pfarr of Minnesota (11/7)
• Finished fifth at the Southern Scuffle (1/1-1/2), going 5-2
• Went 2-2 at the ACC Championships
• Went 2-2 at the NCAA Championships, defeating Anthony Abro (Western Michigan) and Owen Scott
(Cornell), but falling to Brett Pfarr (Minnesota) and Jared Haught (Va. Tech)
• Named to All-ACC Academic Team
• Named an NWCA All-Academic Selection
• Qualified for NCAA Championships at 197 pounds for second straight year
• Automatic NCAA qualifier after runner-up finish at ACC Championships (3/8)
• Ranked No. 11 at 197 in final Flowrestling rankings, No. 12 by WIN, No. 14 by InterMat and No. 16 by AWN and TheOpenMat
• Was 0-2 at NCAA Championships – fell 3-0 to No. 2 seed Morgan McIntosh (Penn State) before being eliminated by West Virginia’s Jake Smith on riding time in second tiebreaker
• Went 5-8 against 2015 NCAA qualifiers
• Placed eighth at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2)
• Seven of eight defeats came to ranked opponents
• Was 4-1 in ACC duals (three of wins came in overtime periods); all five determined by two points or fewer
• Missed much of November and December with injury
• Graduated in May with bachelor’s degree in psychology
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Earned automatic berth in NCAA Championships in first season as starter at 197 pounds after finishing as ACC runner-up
• Posted 21-11 record, including 13-4 mark in duals
• Notched 7-3 win over Oklahoma State's Blake Rosholt at NCAAs
• Was strong in back half of season, winning 11 of last 14 bouts entering NCAA Championships
• Upset top-seeded Christian Boley of Maryland in ACC semifinals with takedown in sudden-victory time
• Posted seven wins against 2014 NCAA qualifiers, including pair of decisions over NCAA seeds: No. 9 seed Boley and No. 10 seed Jace Bennett of Cornell
• Posted 12-7 record while spending time at 184 and 197 pounds
• Was 5-3 at 197 and 7-4 at 184
• Won his final five bouts of the season
• Seven of his 12 wins resulted in bonus points (three falls, one tech fall, four major decisions)
• Five of seven losses came to NCAA qualifiers
• Defeated NCAA qualifier Nick Vetterlein of Virginia Tech at Virginia Duals (1/12)
• Earned 4-0 decision over Hofstra's Tim Murphy at NWCA National Duals (2/17)
• Recorded three wins at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2)
• Redshirt season
• Went 21-10 while competing unattached in open tournaments
• Won the 197-pound title at Appalachian Open (1/28)
• Placed third at Cleveland State Open, winning five straight matches after an opening loss (12/18)
• Posted three wins at Southern Scuffle (1/1-2)
EAST PENNSBORO HIGH SCHOOL
• State runner-up (215)
• Took fourth place at state meet (215)
• Placed third at Super 32 tournament (215)
• Ranked No. 20 nationally as a senior
• Career record of 139-15
• Four-time Area All-Star
• Coached by Todd Klucker
• Also pitched for four years for baseball team; was Rawlings All-East Coast Honorable Mention selection
• Member of National Honor Society and honor roll
• Parents are Thomas and Julia Nye
• Has one sister, Rachel
• Uncle, Michael Nauman, wrestled at Lock Haven
|Weight||Overall||Dual||ACC Dual||Dual Pts.||ACC||NCAA||MD||TF||Pins||Fastest|
*denotes redshirt season
Success Won't Change Cavaliers' MentalityMen's Basketball10/27/16Virginia, which reached the NCAA tournament's Elite Eight in 2015-16, was picked to finish third in the ACC this season.Morse Making Seamless Transition at UVAWomen's Soccer10/26/16Midfielder Zoe Morse has played the most of any freshman for No. 8 Virginia, which closes the regular season Thursday night at Louisville.Ellis Thrilled to Back in CoachingWrestling10/24/16The newest member of the Virginia wrestling team's coaching staff is assistant Mark Ellis, who won an NCAA title as a heavyweight at Missouri.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Ellis Thrilled to Back in Coaching
Wrestling | 10/24/2016
The new member of Virginia's coaching staff is assistant Mark Ellis, who won an NCAA title as a...
Wrestling To Hold Outdoor Practice, Meet The Team Day This...
Wrestling | 10/20/2016
The Virginia wrestling team will host its annual outdoor practice Saturday afternoon prior to...
Jordan Leen Elevated To Associate Head Coach
Wrestling | 10/7/2016
Jordan Leen, a former NCAA champion in his sixth season with the Virginia wrestling program, has ...
Virginia Announces Hiring Of Mark Ellis As Assistant Coach
Wrestling | 9/24/2016
Virginia head coach Steve Garland announced the hiring of NCAA Champion and two-time All-American...
Virginia Announces 2016-17 Wrestling Schedule
Wrestling | 8/30/2016
Virginia head coach Steve Garland announced the 2016-17 wrestling schedule on Tuesday, with dual ...
Three Virginia Wrestlers Named NWCA All-Academic
Wrestling | 5/9/2016
Three members of the Virginia wrestling team were selected as NWCA All-Academic honorees the...
Five Wrestlers Named All-ACC Academic Team Selections
Wrestling | 04/26/2016
Five members of the Virginia wrestling team were named All-ACC Academic Team selections the...
Virginia Announces Addition Of Edwin Rubio For 2016-17
Wrestling | 04/13/2016
Virginia head coach announced Wednesday that heavyweight Edwin Rubio has signed a financial aid...
- Online Stores