Oct. 30, 2003
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The University of Virginia wrestling team will holds its annual Blue-Orange Exhibition match on Sunday, November 2nd beginning at 5:30 PM at UVa's Memorial Gymnasium. Select members of the Virginia wrestling team will be divided into two teams, the Blue Team and the Orange Team. The exhibition will consist of ten individual duals involving seven different weight classes. There will not be a 133 or heavyweight bout in this year's Blue-Orange Exhibition.
The Blue Team probables are: Paul Bjorlo (157), Brian McReynolds (157), Brian Sticca (125), Chet Naylor (141), Jim Hartey (149), Damian Johnson (165) or Connor Manley (165), Mike Grogan (174), Kyle Narkiewicz (184) and Kevin Collier (197). The Orange Team probables are: Brian Foley (157), Paul Dunstan (157), Ryan Stewart (125), Scott Moore (141), Paul Bowman (149), Tim Foley (165), Ram McDonnell (174), Zach Freday (184) and Scott Smith (197).
The Blue-Orange Exhibition will start off with two bouts at 157, then proceed with matches at 125, 141, 149, 165, 174, 184, 197 and then the winners of the first two matches at 157 to close out the competition. Here is a look at the Blue-Orange Exhibition schedule:
Blue-Orange Exhibition Schedule:
157 - Paul Bjorlo (Blue) vs. Brian Foley (Orange)
157 - Brian McReynolds (Blue) vs. Paul Dunstan (Orange)
125 - Brian Sticca (Blue) vs. Ryan Stewart (Orange)
141 - Chet Naylor (Blue) vs. Scott Moore (Orange)
149 - Jim Hartey (Blue) vs. Paul Bowman (Orange)
165 - Damian Johnson (Blue) or Connor Manley (Blue) vs. Tim Foley (Orange)
174 - Mike Grogan (Blue) vs. Ram McDonnell (Orange)
184 - Kyle Narkiewicz (Blue) vs. Zach Freday (Orange)
197 - Kevin Collier (Blue) vs. Scott Smith (Orange)
157 - Winners of earlier 157 match-ups
Blue-Orange Exhibition Notes:
* Virginia will begin the regular season portion of its 2003-2004 schedule on November 8-9 when
the Cavaliers travel to East Lansing, Mich. to compete in the Michigan State Open.
* Scott Moore is ranked #3 in the country at 141 pounds in the preseason.
* Tim Foley is ranked #14 in the country at 165 pounds in the preseason.
* Lenny Bernstein's career record entering this season stands at 78-69-2 overall, 24-18-0 ACC.
* Virginia finished 12-5 overall, 4-0 in the ACC in 2002-2003.
* The Orange Team defeated the Blue Team 16-7 in last year's exhibition.
* Virginia will host this year's 2004 ACC and Southern Conference Wrestling Championships.
* Match official Mike McCormick graduated from UVa in 1989 and is currently ranked one of the
top 10 officials in the country.
-- UVa --