Mason, Rauth and Stearns honored with Weaver-James-Corrigan Award
Jocelyn Willoughby scores 16 points to lead the Virginia offense
The Cavaliers were limited to 33.3 percent shooting Thursday night.
Conference has record 4,143 student-athletes recognized
Virginia women's basketball's guards are lauded for a combination of academic and athletic achievement
UVA vs. No. 8 Notre Dame January 29, 2017
Duke holds off Hoos 57-53 in ACC Tournament in Greensboro, N.C.
Women's Basketball vs. Pitt (by Kelsey Grant)
Women's Basketball vs. Notre Dame (by Matt Riley)
Women's Basketball vs. Richmond (by Matt Riley)
- Became the 32nd member of UVA’s 1,000-career point club by hitting a shot right before halftime at Virginia Tech (2/19)
- Mason was named this week as one of three Cavaliers to earn the Weaver-James-Corrigan ACC Postgraduate Scholarship. Mason is the fourth Cavalier women’s basketball player to earn this prestigious honor, joining Cathy Grimes (9185), Katie Tracy (2001) and Simone Egwu (2013). She is also one of only 25 ACC women’s basketball players to have earned this honor.
- Scored 18 points in the win over Rutgers, including making five free throws in the final 30 seconds to seal the win
- Followed up a 16-point, 7-of-9 shooting performance at Bowling Green by scoring 16 points and going 6-of-9 against UIC (12/16)
- Scored a team-high 19 points in the win over BC, including 14 points in the second half, going 7-of-8 from the freethrow line in the 4th quarter
- Scored 19 points, including going 5 of 6 from three-point range, at Louisville (2/23)
- Third on the team in scoring, averaging 10.0 points per game, third in rebounding (3.8 per game) and second in assists (78)
- Averaged 12.3 points and 4.3 rebounds per game in ACC contests
- ACC All-Academic Team
- Recipient of the 2016 Ralph Sampson Award, presented to the third-year student who best demonstrated excellence in academics, leadership and athletics.
- Back-to-back double-digit scoring efforts in first two games of the season shooting 66.7 percent (10-of-15)
- Went 5-of-7 from the field and 6-of-6 from the line, scoring 16 points against Geen Bay (11/26) while also grabbing a career-high five steals
- Scored 10 points with 5 rebounds, 4 steals and 3 assists against Coppin
- Hit a buzzer-beating halfcourt shot to end the 3Q against Richmond (12/29), scoring seven points with a career-high eight rebounds and five assists
- Scored 14 points without attempting a three in the win over Miami (1/3)
- Followed at 5-of-8 shooting performance against Louisviile with a 10-of-14 game at Georgia Tech, scoring 21 points in her first 20-pt game of the year
- ACC All-Academic Team
- ACC Academic Honor Roll
- Fourth in the ACC in assist-turnover ratio at 1.80
- Seventh in the ACC in assists with 3.5 per game
- Scored a career-high 22 points in the season-opener against Ohio State, her first career 20-point game
- Went 8-of-11 from the field overall and 5-of-7 from 3pt range vs OSU, also dishing a career-high six assists
- Had seven assists with 2 turnovers against Delaware State, also scoring 16 pts
- Scored a team-high 16 points in the ACC opener at Virginia Tech, shooting 60.0 percent
- Had her second seven-assist game (with just one turnover) against BC
- Also 4-of-5 from three-point range for 12 points against BC
- Had eight assists at North Carolina
- Scored 13 points, going 6-of-12 from the field, with five rebounds in the ACC Tournament game against Miami
- Appeared in 30 games with 14 starts
- Averaged 3.5 points per game
- Had 37 assists and 20 steals
- Made her collegiate debut against High Point, scoring her first points on a jumper in the second half
- Had her first double-digit scoring effort, scoring a season-high 13 points against LA Tech
- Had her first career start against Florida State, scoring the Cavaliers' first basket of the game
- Posted 9-point scoring efforts in back-to-back games against Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech
- Scored 12 points in the loss to Miami
- 2012-13 Gatorade Virginia Player of the Year
- 2012-13 Parade Magazine All-American
- In her senior season, averaged 26.9 points, 7.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 2.9 steals per game
- 2012-13 Cardinal District Player of the Year and a four-time All-Cardinal District honoree
- Three-time All-Northwest Region first team
- VHSI All-State team and Washington Post All-Met first team
- Ranked No. 51 overall and as the No. 13 point guard by ESPN HoopGurlz and No. 57 overall by Blue Star
- Attended the same high school as Virginia alum Monica Wright, breaking Wright's career scoring record, putting up 1,979 points in her four years of high school
- Factoring in the two years of middle school (seventh and eighth grade) in which she played varsity basketball, Mason scored 3,313 points in six seasons
- Parents are Nancy & Quinton Mason
- Graduated summa cum laude from Forest Park High School
- American Studies major
MASON'S CAREER STATS
Cavaliers Shift Focus to ACC TourneyWomen's Basketball2/27/17In the ACC tournament, No. 8 Virginia, which has a first-round bye, meets No. 9 seed Wake Forest at 2 p.m. Thursday in Conway, S.C.Short-Handed 'Hoos Rediscover Shooting TouchMen's Basketball2/25/17No. 18 Virginia, which hosts No. 8 North Carolina at 7 p.m. Monday, ended a four-game losing streak Saturday with a victory at NC State.Weekend Notebook: Perrantes Hits HomestretchMen's Basketball2/24/17For point guard London Perrantes, the final regular-season road game of his UVA basketball career is Saturday afternoon at NC State.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Cavaliers Shift Focus to ACC Tourney
W. Basketball | 2/27/2017
In the ACC tournament, No. 8 seed Virginia meets No. 9 seed Wake Forest at 2 p.m. Thursday in...
Virginia Falls 59-48 to No. 18 NC State
W. Basketball | 2/26/2017
The Cavaliers fell 59-48 to the Wolfpack in the regular-season finale. Breyana Mason had seven...
Virginia Closes Regular Season on Sunday
W. Basketball | 2/25/2017
The Virginia women's basketball team takes on No. 18 NC State on Sunday at 2 p.m. in the Play4Kay...
Virginia Falls 66-55 at No. 14 Louisville
W. Basketball | 2/23/2017
The Virginia women’s basketball team (18-10, 7-8 ACC) fell 66-55 at No. 14 Louisville (24-6...
Three Virginia Student-Athletes Earn ACC Postgraduate Honors
W. Basketball | 2/22/2017
Three Virginia student-athletes have been honored with 2017 ACC Postgraduate Awards, as announced...
Virginia Plays at No. 14 Louisville on Thursday
W. Basketball | 2/22/2017
The Virginia women's basketball team takes a three-game win streak into Thursday's contest at No....
Final Inside Virginia Women's Basketball Show Tonight
W. Basketball | 02/21/2017
Former Cavalier and current ACC RSN commentator Chelsea Shine will host tonight's show. Senior...
Virginia Defeats Virginia Tech 63-55 to Sweep Commonwealth...
W. Basketball | 02/19/2017
The Virginia women’s basketball team won its third-straight game, defeating Virginia Tech, ...
- Online Stores