Cavaliers fall 61-55 at James Madison
Mason, Rauth and Stearns honored with Weaver-James-Corrigan Award
Jocelyn Willoughby scores 16 points to lead the Virginia offense
The Cavaliers were limited to 33.3 percent shooting Thursday night.
Conference has record 4,143 student-athletes recognized
UVA vs. No. 8 Notre Dame January 29, 2017
Duke holds off Hoos 57-53 in ACC Tournament in Greensboro, N.C.
Women's Basketball vs. Pitt (by Kelsey Grant)
Women's Basketball vs. Notre Dame (by Matt Riley)
Women's Basketball vs. Richmond (by Matt Riley)
- All-ACC Academic Team, her third time earning the honor
- 2017 Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar
- Became the 32nd member of UVA’s 1,000-career point club by hitting a shot right before halftime at Virginia Tech (2/19)
- Finished her career ranked 26th on the Virginia career points list with 1080
- One of three Virginia student-athletes to earn the 2017 Weaver-James-Corrigan ACC Postgraduate Scholarship. Mason is the fourth Cavalier women’s basketball player to earn this prestigious honor, joining Cathy Grimes (1985), Katie Tracy (2001) and Simone Egwu (2013). She is also one of only 28 ACC women’s basketball players to have earned this honor.
- Led the team in scoring with 10.3 points per game. She took over the team scoring lead in the final week of the regular season. Mason averaged 9.0 points per game through the end of the non-conference schedule, ranking fourth on the team in scoring. She averaged a team-best 11.0 points per game against ACC opponents
- Scored 18 points in the win over Rutgers, including making five free throws in the final 30 seconds to seal the win
- Followed up a 16-point, 7-of-9 shooting performance at Bowling Green by scoring 16 points and going 6-of-9 against UIC (12/16)
- Scored a team-high 19 points in the win over BC, including 14 points in the second half, going 7-of-8 from the freethrow line in the 4th quarter
- Scored 19 points, including going 5 of 6 from three-point range, at Louisville (2/23)
- Scored 19 points in her final collegiate game, the second round WNIT contest at JMU, going 7-of-10 from the field (3/19)
- Third on the team in scoring, averaging 10.0 points per game, third in rebounding (3.8 per game) and second in assists (78)
- Averaged 12.3 points and 4.3 rebounds per game in ACC contests
- ACC All-Academic Team
- Recipient of the 2016 Ralph Sampson Award, presented to the third-year student who best demonstrated excellence in academics, leadership and athletics.
- Back-to-back double-digit scoring efforts in first two games of the season shooting 66.7 percent (10-of-15)
- Went 5-of-7 from the field and 6-of-6 from the line, scoring 16 points against Geen Bay (11/26) while also grabbing a career-high five steals
- Scored 10 points with 5 rebounds, 4 steals and 3 assists against Coppin
- Hit a buzzer-beating halfcourt shot to end the 3Q against Richmond (12/29), scoring seven points with a career-high eight rebounds and five assists
- Scored 14 points without attempting a three in the win over Miami (1/3)
- Followed at 5-of-8 shooting performance against Louisviile with a 10-of-14 game at Georgia Tech, scoring 21 points in her first 20-pt game of the year
- ACC All-Academic Team
- ACC Academic Honor Roll
- Fourth in the ACC in assist-turnover ratio at 1.80
- Seventh in the ACC in assists with 3.5 per game
- Scored a career-high 22 points in the season-opener against Ohio State, her first career 20-point game
- Went 8-of-11 from the field overall and 5-of-7 from 3pt range vs OSU, also dishing a career-high six assists
- Had seven assists with 2 turnovers against Delaware State, also scoring 16 pts
- Scored a team-high 16 points in the ACC opener at Virginia Tech, shooting 60.0 percent
- Had her second seven-assist game (with just one turnover) against BC
- Also 4-of-5 from three-point range for 12 points against BC
- Had eight assists at North Carolina
- Scored 13 points, going 6-of-12 from the field, with five rebounds in the ACC Tournament game against Miami
- Appeared in 30 games with 14 starts
- Averaged 3.5 points per game
- Had 37 assists and 20 steals
- Made her collegiate debut against High Point, scoring her first points on a jumper in the second half
- Had her first double-digit scoring effort, scoring a season-high 13 points against LA Tech
- Had her first career start against Florida State, scoring the Cavaliers' first basket of the game
- Posted 9-point scoring efforts in back-to-back games against Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech
- Scored 12 points in the loss to Miami
- 2012-13 Gatorade Virginia Player of the Year
- 2012-13 Parade Magazine All-American
- In her senior season, averaged 26.9 points, 7.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 2.9 steals per game
- 2012-13 Cardinal District Player of the Year and a four-time All-Cardinal District honoree
- Three-time All-Northwest Region first team
- VHSI All-State team and Washington Post All-Met first team
- Ranked No. 51 overall and as the No. 13 point guard by ESPN HoopGurlz and No. 57 overall by Blue Star
- Attended the same high school as Virginia alum Monica Wright, breaking Wright's career scoring record, putting up 1,979 points in her four years of high school
- Factoring in the two years of middle school (seventh and eighth grade) in which she played varsity basketball, Mason scored 3,313 points in six seasons
- Parents are Nancy & Quinton Mason
- Graduated summa cum laude from Forest Park High School
- American Studies major
MASON'S CAREER STATS
'Hoos Make Statement With Resounding WinFootball9/23/17On the blue turf of Albertsons Stadium, where Boise State rarely loses, Virginia rolled a 42-23 victory Friday night in a game shown on ESPN2.Dreams Coming True for Opoku at UVAMen's Soccer9/22/17Edward Opoku, a native of Ghana, is the leading scorer for No. 9 Virginia, which hosts No. 7 North Carolina on Friday night at Klöckner Stadium.Reinkensmeyer Moves Center StageFootball9/19/17Redshirt freshman Dillon Reinkensmeyer will make his third start for Virginia -- his second at center -- at Boise State on Friday night.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
ACC Releases Virginia's 2017-18 Women's Basketball Schedule
W. Basketball | 9/14/2017
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced the 2017-18 women's basketball schedule. Virginia will...
Jeff White: Aiyeotan Settling Into Comfort Zone
W. Basketball | 9/4/2017
A 6-9 sophomore from Nigeria, Felicia Aiyeotan is expected to play a larger role for UVA in 2017-...
Willoughby Appointed to NCAA Women’s Basketball...
W. Basketball | 8/18/2017
Virginia women’s basketball sophomore Jocelyn Willoughby has been appointed as a non-voting...
Scrimmages in Costa Rica
W. Basketball | 8/6/2017
The Cavaliers are playing three scrimmages in Costa Rica on their foreign tour.
Jeff White: Adventure in Central America Awaits 'Hoos
W. Basketball | 7/31/2017
The UVA women's basketball team leaves this weekend for a tour that will include three games in...
Women’s Basketball Adds Amandine Toi
W. Basketball | 7/11/2017
Amandine Toi, a member of France's U-19 Junior National Team, will join the Cavaliers as a...
Virginia Hosts Maryland in 2017 Big Ten/ACC Challenge
W. Basketball | 06/28/2017
The ACC and Big Ten announced on Wednesday (June 28) the matchups for the 2017 Big Ten/ACC Women&...
Virginia Women’s Basketball 2017-18 Season Tickets on ...
W. Basketball | 06/19/2017
Season tickets for the 2017-18 Virginia women’s basketball season are on sale now.
- Online Stores