Conference has record 3,967 student-athletes recognized
Redshirt senior guard earns her second all-defensive team honor
Redshirt senior guard earns the first academic honor of her career
Cavaliers are eliminated from the ACC Tournament with a 77-76 loss to the Yellow Jackets
Winner will face Duke on Friday in the quarterfinals
Women's Basketball vs. UNC (by Matt Riley)
Images from the 80-43 victory over Clemson 2/2/14
Women's Basketball vs Florida State (By Dillon Harding)
Women's Basketball vs. Notre Dame (by Matt Riley)
Women's Basketball vs. FGCU (by Matt Riley)
- Earned the second ACC All-Defensive Team honor of her career
- Was the lone Cavalier to earn a spot on the ACC All-Academic Team
- Candidate for the Good Works Team
- Finished her career ranked fifth on the Cavalier career steals list with 257
- Led the ACC in steals much of the season and ranked among the top-25 in the nation, averaging 2.7 per game
- Led the ACC in steals in conference games at 2.9 per game.
- Is second in the ACC in assist-to-turnover ratio in conference games at 2.3
- Is second on the team in rebounding, averaging a career-best 4.9 per game
- Finished her career with 907 points and 392 rebounds
- Averaged 8.2 points per game this season and 7.1 points over her four-year, 127-game career
- Pulled in a career-high 10 rebounds, narrowly missing getting her first career double-double with nine points against UMES
- Recorded 9 defensive rebounds against University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- Went 4-of-5 from three-point range, including making three treys in the final 1:19 of the first half against Tulane, scoring 13 points during a 20-point comeback against the Green Wave. She finished the game with a season-high 18 points
- Scored eight points with five rebounds, four assists and four steals in the comeback victory at Virginia Tech and posted an identical stat line in the next game against Notre Dame
- Scored nine points, with eight assists and six rebounds in the upset victory over No. 17 Florida State
- Scored 13 points, including 11 in the second half, at Duke, going 6-of-11
- Had an 11-game stretch during ACC play in which she made at least one three-pointer
- Footage of her scoring a layup while getting fouled against Maryland made the SportsCenter Top-10 Plays of the Day (Jan. 23), ranking No. 4
- Missed the 2012-13 season recovering from hip surgery
- Earned a spot on the 2012 ACC All-Defensive Team
- Named the team's Best Defensive Player
- Led Virginia in total steals (113) and steals per game (3.1)
- Those totals consistently ranked in the top 15 nationally and top three in the ACC all season long
- Averaged 9.5 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game in 36 appearances
- Started 24-consecutive games to end the season
- Scored in double figures on 18 occasions, highlighted by a 19-point performance vs. Radford (Dec. 18)
- Had at least five steals eight different times, including a seven-steal game vs. James Madison on Dec. 20
- Appeared in 30 games and started 13, averaging 5.5 points and 1.9 rebounds per game
- Reached double digits in points on six occasions, including a career-high 19 points vs. Radford (Dec. 6)
- Had her best performance of the season against the Highlanders, finishing 6-for-15 from the field and tying a career-high with three 3-pointers
- Appeared in 30 games and started 15 for the Cavaliers
- Averaged 5.0 points and 1.6 rebounds
- Led the team in free throw shooting, connecting on 35-of-43 (81 percent)
- Had eight double-digit scoring games, including a run of four-straight from Jan. 24 to Feb. 4 against ACC opponents Georgia Tech, NC State, Wake Forest and Clemson
- Scored a career-high 15 points at Wake Forest (Jan. 31), including a personal best three 3-pointers
- Hauled down a career-high seven rebounds in her first-career ACC Tournament contest vs. NC State (March 5)
- Received an honorable mention All-American nod from the 2009 Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA)
- Ranked as the No. 6 shooting guard and No. 26 overall player in the class by the Collegiate Girls Basketball Report
- Played AAU basketball for the Philadelphia Belles
- The Peddie School ended with 20-straight victories in Gerson's senior season and cracked the top 50 in national polls
- The Peddie School went on to win the state and MAPL championships, its fourth-straight
- Scored her 1,000th career point in February of her senior season
- Daughter of Mitch and Andrea Gerson
'Hoos Head Into Finals on High NoteMen's Basketball12/7/16No. 14 Virginia, which defeated East Carolina on Tuesday night, doesn't play again until Dec. 17, when Robert Morris visits JPJ.'Hoos Learn Painful Lessons in LossMen's Basketball12/3/16No. 6 Virginia's 24-game winning streak at John Paul Jones Arena ended Saturday with a 66-57 loss to No. 25 West Virginia.Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017Men's Soccer12/2/16The Virginia men's and women's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring more success for both.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Wins 67-47 at Bowling Green on Sunday
W. Basketball | 12/4/2016
Breyana Mason scored 16 points as head coach Joanne Boyle picked up her 300th career victory.
Virginia Plays at Bowling Green on Sunday
W. Basketball | 12/3/2016
The Virginia women's basketball team plays at Bowling Green on Sunday, Dec. 4 at 2 p.m.
Northwestern Rallies to Down Virginia 69-60
W. Basketball | 12/1/2016
Virginia fell 69-60 at Northwestern in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Lauren Moses scored 16 points...
UVA at Northwestern for ACC/Big Ten Challenge
W. Basketball | 11/30/2016
The Virginia women's basketball team (5-1) plays at Northwestern (5-1) in an ACC/Big Ten...
Mason Nominated for WBCA Good Works Teams
W. Basketball | 11/30/2016
Virginia women’s basketball senior Breyana Mason (Woodbridge, Va.) has been nominated for...
Inside Virginia Women’s Basketball Begins Jan. 10
W. Basketball | 11/29/2016
The weekly program will air from 6:06-7 p.m. on 98.9-FM/1070-AM WINA with the first installment...
Virginia Downs Nebraska, 73-51
W. Basketball | 11/26/2016
The Cavaliers closed out the South Point Shootout with a 73-51 victory over Nebraska. Lauren...
Virginia Falls 66-55 to St. John’s
W. Basketball | 11/25/2016
Aliyah Huland El scored 16 points and Jocelyn Willoughby had her second double-double in the loss...
- Online Stores