J'Kyra Brown - In her own words
Victory is the 900th win in program history
Lauren Moses had her third double-double of the year
Jocelyn Willoughby scores 16 points to lead the Virginia offense
UVA vs. No. 8 Notre Dame January 29, 2017
Duke holds off Hoos 57-53 in ACC Tournament in Greensboro, N.C.
Women's Basketball vs. Pitt (by Kelsey Grant)
Women's Basketball vs. Notre Dame (by Matt Riley)
Women's Basketball vs. Richmond (by Matt Riley)
- Appeared in all 33 games with six starts, averaging 9.5 points per game
- Scored a cobined 950 career points in her collegiate career between ECU and Virginia, with 766 of those coming in her three seasons as a Cavalier
- Finished her career by hitting at least one three pointer in 27-straight games, a streak that began on Nov. 25 against Duquesne
- Scored 11 points against Cal and 16 points against South Carolina to lead UVA in scoring in the NCAA Tournament
- Finished her career with 131 made-three-pointers, tying for 10th in the UVA record book with Dawn Staley (1989-92) and Mikayla Venson (2015-16)
- Was in the starting lineup for the season-opener at Mississippi State, the 11th start of her UVA career (11/10)
- Brought down seven rebounds against Georgia (11/16)
- Scored a team-high 15 points while going 4-of-4 from three-point range against UNCG (12/2)
- Had 13 points at Rutgers, scoring eight of UVA’s first 10 points in the contest (12/4)
- Scored a career-high 24 points in the win over Indiana (12/18), going 7-of-11 from the field and 6-of-6 from the freethrow line. It was one of just two 20-point performances by a Cavalier this season
- Had a streak of six-straight games scoring in double-digits from Nov. 26 (Duquesne) to Dec. 18 (Indiana), averaging 15.3 ppg in that span
- Scored 17 points against Notre Dame, only hitting one three-pointer (2/15)
- Finished her career with a 16-point performance against South Carolina, going 4-of-9 from three-point range (3/18)
- Scored a UVA career high 18 points against Coppin State (11/13)
- Started the season with a 9-1 assist-to-turnover ratio in the first 3 games
- Made her first start of the season against UIC, scoring seven points with five assists (12/16)
- Scored 14 points on 6-of-8 shooting against Md. Eastern Shore (12/21)
- Scored nine points with a team-high 10 rebounds against UMBC (12/28)
- Let the team in scoring (10 pts) and reounding (6 reb) at Pitt (1/22)
- Made her second start of the season at Notre Dame, scoring 11 points in the first half and 14 overall, also dishing five assists and grabbing five steals (1/29)
- Recorded first career double-double (12 pts/10 rebs) in win over Georgia Tech (2/2)
- Scored 16 points in the first half against Wake Forest (2/12)
- Started both games of the WNIT, scoring 14 points in the win at Saint Joseph’s, including 9 points in fourth quarter
- Appeared in 33 games with six starts, averaging 5.0 points per game
- Scored 10 points, all in the third quarter, in her Cavalier debut at MT (11/13)
- Started Cavalier career with back-to-back 10- point games, scoring 11 in 21 minutes against Norfolk State
- Scored seven points with seven rebounds, three steals and two assists in 16 minutes against Bowling Green (12/8)
- Scored 11 points in her first career start at Duke (2/4)
- Scored 7 points in 7 minutes at Louisville (2/18)
- Scored a season-high 12 points with 7 rebounds vs UNC (2/25)
- Grabbed a season-high 10 rebounds at Rutgers (3/20)
- Sat out the season per NCAA transfer rules
- Averaged 5.9 points per game while twice earning Conference USA Freshman of the Week honors
- Scored a season-high 29 points against Louisiana Tech, going 11-of-14 from the field and 6-of-8 from three-point range against the Lady Techsters
- Averaged 25.5 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 3.4 spg, 2.4 apg & 1.2 bpg
- 2013 NCBCA Female Basketball POY, NC AP POY, All-District POY, Rocky Mount Female Athlete POY
- Three-time Big East POY, Rocky Mount Telegram All-Area POY
- Rocky Mount's All-Time Female Leading Scorer
- Three-time NC AP All-State First Team
- Two-time All-District First Team
- NC Prep All-State First Team
- NCHSAA Sectional MVP, All-Regional 1st Team
- Also lettered three years in track, earning MVP honors in 2013 and was the NCHSAA State Runner-up in discus
- Daughter of James and Jacqueline Brown
- Has two older siblings, James III and Jacquestavius
- Holds three House Records at Rocky Mount Bowling Center, along with several championships
- Graduated with a degree in American Studies
- Currently enrolled in an Education graduate program
BROWN'S CAREER STATS
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Thompson Starts Laying Groundwork
W. Basketball | 6/20/2018
Summer practice started Wednesday at John Paul Jones Arena for the Cavaliers and their new head...
Virginia to Face Michigan State in ACC/Big Ten Challenge
W. Basketball | 6/11/2018
Virginia women's basketball to play Michigan State for just the second time as part of the 2018...
Thompson Inducted into Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame
W. Basketball | 6/10/2018
Virginia head women’s basketball coach Tina Thompson was inducted into the Women’s...
Jeff White: Thompson Hits Ground Running
W. Basketball | 5/30/2018
Tina Thompson, who had a Hall of Fame playing career, took over last month as head women's...
Seven Teams Earn NCAA APP Public Recognition
W. Basketball | 5/16/2018
Virginia Athletics had seven teams earn Public Recognition for academic excellence after scoring ...
Jeff White: Thompson Ready To Lead From Front
W. Basketball | 4/18/2018
The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at JPJ, where Tina Thompson was introduced as the...
Tina Thompson Introductory Press Conference
W. Basketball | 04/18/2018
Hear from Virginia head coach Tina Thompson in her introductory press conference.
Jeff White: Thompson Era Begins for Cavaliers
W. Basketball | 04/18/2018
Tina Thompson will be introduced as UVA's head women's basketball coach Wednesday afternoon at...
- Online Stores