Both players earn the honor for the second time in their careers
UVA guard vying to compete at the FIBA U19 World Cup
Virginia guards earn postseason conference honor
UVA guard garners her first conference accolade
Jocelyn Willoughby scores 16 points to lead the Virginia offense
UVA vs. No. 8 Notre Dame January 29, 2017
- Appointed as a non-voting, student-athlete member of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Oversight Committee. Her tenure runs through her senior season
- Meriwether Lewis Institute for Citizen Leadership Fellow (Class of 2020 cohort)
- All-ACC Academic Team, second time earning the honor
- Started all 33 games for the Cavaliers; was the only player to start every game this season; has started every game of her career
- Third on the team in scoring with 9.6 points per game and second in rebounding at 5.4 per game
- Scored a team-high 19 points in the win over Central Connecticut and followed that with a 17-point performance against Georiga (11/16)
- Scored 11 points in 22 minutes against UNCG, going 5-of-7 from the field (12/2)
- Led team with 14 points at Rutgers (12/4)
- Scored 18 points on 7-of-9 shooting with 11 rebounds for her first double-double of the season at BC (1/11); follwed that with a second straight double-double at Duke with 11 points and 10 rebounds
- Scored eight points with 10 rebounds (including six O-boards) at FSU (2/8)
- Went 6-for-6 from the free throw line in the fourth quarter to seal the victory over Cal (3/16). Was 10-of-10 in the NCAA Tournament from the free throw line
- Played 35 minutes in each of the two NCAA Tournament games, scoring 13 points with six rebounds against Cal and six points with seven rebounds against South Carolina
- Attended USA Basketball U19 Women's World Cup Team trials at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. (May 18-21)
- All-ACC Freshmen Team
- All-ACC Academic Team
- Started all 33 games for the Cavaliers, averaging 9.8 points and a team-high 6.2 rebounds per game, also grabbing 55 steals with 55 assists
- Second among ACC freshmen in rebounding (6.2 per game) and led the conference rookies in steals per game (1.7 per game, 55 overall)
- Second among ACC freshmen in scoring at 9.8 points per game
- Became the first freshman to lead UVA in rebounding since Brandi Teamer in 2002 and the first freshman guard to do so since Chrissy Reese in 1980
- Only player on the 2016-17 UVA team to have two 20-point games in the season
- Was in the starting lineup for her collegiate debut against Middle Tennessee, scoring 13 points with a game-high nine rebounds (11/11)
- Started the Coppin State game going 8-of-8, scoring all 21 of her points in the first half (11/13)
- Had her first career double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds against St. John’s (11/25)
- Had her second double-double of the season at Georgia, with 13 points and 10 rebounds while also grabbing a season-high six steals (12/19)
- MVP of the Cavalier Classic Tournament with a combined 27 points, 10 rebounds, five assists, three blocks and two steals in the two games (12/29)
- Named the ACC Rookie of the Week (Jan. 30) after helping lead the Cavaliers on both the offensive and defensive ends of the floor against No. 19/21 Virginia Tech and No. 8/9 Notre Dame. Led the team in scoring in both games, including scoring 18 points in the 76-27 win over Virginia Tech, going 6-of-8 from the floor and 6-of-7 from the stripe against the Hokies
- Scored team-high 17 points in ACC Tourney win over Wake (3/2)
- Scored a career-high 25 points in WNIT win at Saint Joseph’s, including scoring nine crucial points in the fourth quarter (3/17)
- 2016 Gatorade New Jersey Girl's Basketball Player of the Year
- 2016 MaxPreps All-America Fourth Team
- Two-time First Team All-State and All-County
- Averaged 21.9 points, 12.8 rebounds, 3.9 blocks, 3.8 assists and 3.1 steals per contest her senior season
- Became the first player at Newark Academy l to score 1,000 career points, doing so in her sophomore season.
- As a freshman and sophomore, she helped lead Newark to two-straight seasons with 21-or-more wins and back-to-back Prep B girls’ basketball state titles.
- Ranked the No. 8 wing in her class and No. 47 player overall by ESPN-W and No. 5 at her position and No. 28 overall by Prospects Nation
- Daughter of KJ and Cheryl Willoughby
- Older brother, Kelly III
- Has participated in service missions to Guatemala and New Orleans
- Undeclared major
WILLOUGHBY'S CAREER STATS
Shared Vision Unites Mendenhall and WilliamsGeneral Release5/17/18Virginia's new athletics director, Carla Williams, has formed a strong working relationship with head football coach Bronco Mendenhall.Lillie Helps Lead Cavaliers' ResurgenceWomen's Golf5/16/18Beth Lillie, one of four freshmen named to the All-ACC team, is second in scoring average for UVA, which plays in the NCAA championships this week.McCarthy's Return Sparks CavaliersBaseball5/15/18After missing 34 games with a wrist injury, junior Jake McCarthy returned to the lineup and helped UVA secure a critical ACC series win over Georgia Tech.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Seven Teams Earn NCAA APP Public Recognition
W. Basketball | 5/16/2018
Virginia Athletics had seven teams earn Public Recognition for academic excellence after scoring ...
Jeff White: Thompson Ready To Lead From Front
W. Basketball | 4/18/2018
The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at JPJ, where Tina Thompson was introduced as the...
Tina Thompson Introductory Press Conference
W. Basketball | 4/18/2018
Hear from Virginia head coach Tina Thompson in her introductory press conference.
Jeff White: Thompson Era Begins for Cavaliers
W. Basketball | 4/18/2018
Tina Thompson will be introduced as UVA's head women's basketball coach Wednesday afternoon at...
Tina Thompson Named Virginia Women's Basketball Coach
W. Basketball | 4/16/2018
Virginia athletics director Carla Williams announced today (April 16) Tina Thompson as head coach...
Joanne Boyle Announces Her Retirement from Coaching
W. Basketball | 3/20/2018
Virginia head women’s basketball coach Joanne Boyle announced today she is retiring from...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Exit With Heads Held High
W. Basketball | 03/19/2018
In its first trip to the NCAAs since 2010, 10th-seeded UVA went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating ...
Virginia's Season Ends in NCAA Second Round
W. Basketball | 03/18/2018
The Cavaliers fell 66-56 at South Carolina on Sunday. Dominique Toussaint and J'Kyra Brown each...
- Online Stores