Nov. 4, 2015
Aliyah Huland El played in all 31 games with one start as a freshman. Huland El made her collegiate debut against Ohio State, scoring five points with an assist and two blocked shots in 13 minutes. She had back-to-back double-digit scoring games against Delaware State (10) and Longwood (11). Her first career start came against Florida State and she finished with a season-high 14 points in the game.
Other Fun Facts about Aliyah:
- Loves basketball because “It is the best sport in the world!”
- Most important things in her life right now are friends and family, school and basketball.
- Place she has been that was like paradise is Tobago.
- If she could have one wish granted it would be to end world hunger.
- Dream job is to be a pediatrician.
- Person she respects most is her dad. “He is a confident, intelligent and hardworking person.”
- If she were a vegetable she would be kale.
- Favorite color she would be is turquoise, because it is both soothing and vibrant.
- If she were a candy bar she would be a Snickers. “Who wouldn’t like a combo of nougat, caramel, peanuts and milk chocolate?”
- Movie character she would want to play is Neytiri from Avatar.
- Played flute and was first chair in fourth and fifth grade.
- Characteristic she values most in her teammates is trustworthiness.
The Virginia Cavaliers open the 2015-16 season on Friday, Nov. 13 at Middle Tennessee in Murfreesboro, Tenn. Season ticket packages are still available. Click Here for ticket information.
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Thompson Starts Laying Groundwork
W. Basketball | 6/20/2018
Summer practice started Wednesday at John Paul Jones Arena for the Cavaliers and their new head...
Virginia to Face Michigan State in ACC/Big Ten Challenge
W. Basketball | 6/11/2018
Virginia women's basketball to play Michigan State for just the second time as part of the 2018...
Thompson Inducted into Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame
W. Basketball | 6/10/2018
Virginia head women’s basketball coach Tina Thompson was inducted into the Women’s...
Jeff White: Thompson Hits Ground Running
W. Basketball | 5/30/2018
Tina Thompson, who had a Hall of Fame playing career, took over last month as head women's...
Seven Teams Earn NCAA APP Public Recognition
W. Basketball | 5/16/2018
Virginia Athletics had seven teams earn Public Recognition for academic excellence after scoring ...
Jeff White: Thompson Ready To Lead From Front
W. Basketball | 4/18/2018
The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at JPJ, where Tina Thompson was introduced as the...
Tina Thompson Introductory Press Conference
W. Basketball | 04/18/2018
Hear from Virginia head coach Tina Thompson in her introductory press conference.
Jeff White: Thompson Era Begins for Cavaliers
W. Basketball | 04/18/2018
Tina Thompson will be introduced as UVA's head women's basketball coach Wednesday afternoon at...
- Online Stores