Cavaliers earn VaSID All-State Honors
Lucy Hyams and Riley Tata teamed up for a breakaway game winner 8:13 into overtime
Tara Vittese scores the game-winner 4:11 into overtime
No. 4 Cavaliers improve to 7-0 with the win over the No. 7 Blue Devils
Riley Tata's second half goal boosts the Cavaliers to a 6-0 record
• 2015 Longstreth/NFHCA Division I All-South Region Second Team
• VaSID First-Team All-State
• Second on the team with 14 goals, shooting 31.1 percent
• Ranked sixth in the ACC in goals per game (0.67)
• Played in all 21 games with 16 starts
• Scored a pair of goals against both Duke (Sept. 18) and North Carolina (Oct. 2)
• Scored the game-winning goal at Duke (Sept. 18) and Miami (Sept. 13)
• Scored a hat trick in the loss to Boston College (10/24)
• Scored both the game-tying and game-winning goals in the NCAA first-round game against Delaware
• Played in all 20 games with 13 starts
• Third on the team in scoring with 10 goals
• For the second year in a row, scored Virginia's first goal of the year on her first shot of the season, netting the game-winner at William & Mary (Aug. 27)
• Had her first career hat trick with three goals against Vermont (Sept. 28)
• Also scored the game-winner at Princeton (Oct. 3) and had the game-winning goal in the 2-1 upset victory at No. 1 North Carolina (Oct. 3)
• Played in 18 games with six starts
• Finished the regular-season tied for second on the team with 20 points
• Finished the regular-season ranked second on the team with 10 goals
• Began her collegiate career scoring three goals on her first three shots (over a three-game span)
• Scored the first goal of the season for the Cavaliers, netting a score 1:51 into the season-opener against Louisville (Aug. 30)
• Had two multi-goal games, scoring twice at Vermont (Sept. 15) and against James Madison
• Scored the game-winning goals at Albany (Oct. 6) and against Duke (Oct. 18)
• Four-sport athlete at Norfolk Academy, playing field hockey, basketball, soccer, and lacrosse
• 2012 Harrow Sports/NFHCA High School All-South Region
• Two-time first team All-State and two-time first team All-Tidewater
• 2012 TCIS Player of the Year and Team MVP
• Led Norfolk Academy to the state tournament three times, advancing to the finals in 2010 and 2011
• All-time single season and career record holder at Norfolk Academy with 119 goals, 37 assists, and 275 points
• Three-time TCIS leading scorer (65 points- 2010; 95 points- 2011; 97 points- 2012)
• Member of the 2009 Commonwealth Games U-16 champion team
• Won the "Outstanding Female Athlete" award at Norfolk Academy
• Scored over 1,000 career points in her Norfolk Academy basketball career, earning first team All-TCIS honors in 2013 as Team MVP
• Was the leading scorer on the 2011 State Champion soccer team at Norfolk Academy
• Named All-State Second Team in soccer in 2010
• Daughter of Bob and Anne Ferrell Tata
• Has two older sisters, Peyton and Carter, and a younger brother, Robert
• Her grandfather, Bob Tata, played football and baseball at Virginia, being named All-Virginia Big Six in both sports. He was also a collegiate batting champion and played in the North-South Shrine All-Star Game
• Her father, Bob, played football at the Naval Academy, setting 17 Navy records as a kicker. He was second on the all-time scoring list when he graduated
• Was selected as a 2012 Virginia Beach Neptune Princess, one of 12 high-achieving rising seniors from across the city who served as ambassadors at events such as Special Olympics, parades, and the "Surfers Healing" autism fundraiser
• Participated in mission trips to India, Tanzania, and the Dominican Republic
• Spent three years volunteering for senate and presidential campaigns
• History major
Tata's Career Statistics
Lynch Makes Timely Return to MoundBaseball5/28/16In his first appearance since April 13, freshman Daniel Lynch retired all four batters he faced Friday in Virginia's ACC tournament loss to Wake Forest.Transfers Eager to Help Lift ProgramFootball5/26/16UVA's football team added three transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared Cohen and defensive end Jack Powers.Cavaliers' Reign Atop NCAA ContinuesMen's Tennis5/25/16With a 4-1 win over Oklahoma on Tuesday night, top-seeded Virginia captured its second straight NCAA men's title and third in four seasons.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Announces 2016 Recruiting Class
Field Hockey | 5/11/2016
Averi Bent, Hannah Cregg, Colleen Norair, Erin Shanahan, Carolyn Topps, Dominique van Slooten,...
Tara Vittese Wins Silver at 2016 Junior Pan Am Championship
Field Hockey | 4/9/2016
Tara Vittese won a silver medal as a member of the U.S. Junior National Team at the Junior Women'...
Seven Virginia Field Hockey Players Named to the NFHCA...
Field Hockey | 3/23/2016
Seven Virginia field hockey players were honored by the NFHCA for their cumulative GPA's while...
Virginia Field Hockey Announces Spring Schedule
Field Hockey | 3/15/2016
The Cavaliers will be at Old Dominion on March 18 and will host home scrimmages on April 2, 9 and...
Vittese Earns Spot on Junior Pan Am Roster
Field Hockey | 2/23/2016
Tara Vittese will compete with the US Junior National Team March 30-April 10 in Tacarigua,...
Three Cavaliers Named to the All-ACC Academic Field Hockey Team
Field Hockey | 2/8/2016
Caleigh Foust, Becca Zamojcin and Rebecca Holden were voted onto the All-ACC Academic Field...
Vittese Competing with Junior National Team
Field Hockey | 01/05/2016
Tara Vittese and the U.S. U-21 Women's National Team is hosting Great Britain Jan. 6-12 at Spooky...
Tara Vittese Named National Player of Year
Field Hockey | 12/09/2015
Virginia field hockey sophomore Tara Vittese is the first-ever Cavalier to be voted the top...
- Online Stores