Tara Vittese, Dominique van Slooten and Michele Madison earn top honors in a vote by the commonwealth’s sports information directors
Fourth-years Riley Tata and Caleigh Foust scored goals on Senior Day
Riley Tata scored two goals during regulation; Tara Vittese netted the game-winner 1:29 into overtime
Cavaliers earn VaSID All-State Honors
Lucy Hyams and Riley Tata teamed up for a breakaway game winner 8:13 into overtime
• Started every game this season
• Scored the game-winner against Old Dominion (Oct. 2) and at Richmond (Oct. 18)
• Scored two goals against Miami (Aug. 26), Rutgers (Sept. 2) and Richmond (Oct. 18)
• Tied for tenth on the Virginia career goal scoring list with 45
• 2015 Longstreth/NFHCA Division I All-South Region Second Team
• VaSID First-Team All-State
• Second on the team with 14 goals, shooting 31.1 percent
• Ranked sixth in the ACC in goals per game (0.67)
• Played in all 21 games with 16 starts
• Scored a pair of goals against both Duke (Sept. 18) and North Carolina (Oct. 2)
• Scored the game-winning goal at Duke (Sept. 18) and Miami (Sept. 13)
• Scored a hat trick in the loss to Boston College (10/24)
• Scored both the game-tying and game-winning goals in the NCAA first-round game against Delaware
• Played in all 20 games with 13 starts
• Third on the team in scoring with 10 goals
• For the second year in a row, scored Virginia's first goal of the year on her first shot of the season, netting the game-winner at William & Mary (Aug. 27)
• Had her first career hat trick with three goals against Vermont (Sept. 28)
• Also scored the game-winner at Princeton (Oct. 3) and had the game-winning goal in the 2-1 upset victory at No. 1 North Carolina (Oct. 3)
• Played in 18 games with six starts
• Finished the regular-season tied for second on the team with 20 points
• Finished the regular-season ranked second on the team with 10 goals
• Began her collegiate career scoring three goals on her first three shots (over a three-game span)
• Scored the first goal of the season for the Cavaliers, netting a score 1:51 into the season-opener against Louisville (Aug. 30)
• Had two multi-goal games, scoring twice at Vermont (Sept. 15) and against James Madison
• Scored the game-winning goals at Albany (Oct. 6) and against Duke (Oct. 18)
• Four-sport athlete at Norfolk Academy, playing field hockey, basketball, soccer, and lacrosse
• 2012 Harrow Sports/NFHCA High School All-South Region
• Two-time first team All-State and two-time first team All-Tidewater
• 2012 TCIS Player of the Year and Team MVP
• Led Norfolk Academy to the state tournament three times, advancing to the finals in 2010 and 2011
• All-time single season and career record holder at Norfolk Academy with 119 goals, 37 assists, and 275 points
• Three-time TCIS leading scorer (65 points- 2010; 95 points- 2011; 97 points- 2012)
• Member of the 2009 Commonwealth Games U-16 champion team
• Won the "Outstanding Female Athlete" award at Norfolk Academy
• Scored over 1,000 career points in her Norfolk Academy basketball career, earning first team All-TCIS honors in 2013 as Team MVP
• Was the leading scorer on the 2011 State Champion soccer team at Norfolk Academy
• Named All-State Second Team in soccer in 2010
• Daughter of Bob and Anne Ferrell Tata
• Has two older sisters, Peyton and Carter, and a younger brother, Robert
• Her grandfather, Bob Tata, played football and baseball at Virginia, being named All-Virginia Big Six in both sports. He was also a collegiate batting champion and played in the North-South Shrine All-Star Game
• Her father, Bob, played football at the Naval Academy, setting 17 Navy records as a kicker. He was second on the all-time scoring list when he graduated
• Was selected as a 2012 Virginia Beach Neptune Princess, one of 12 high-achieving rising seniors from across the city who served as ambassadors at events such as Special Olympics, parades, and the "Surfers Healing" autism fundraiser
• Participated in mission trips to India, Tanzania, and the Dominican Republic
• Spent three years volunteering for senate and presidential campaigns
• History major
Tata's Career Statistics
Road Tests Await 'HoosMen's Basketball1/22/17No. 16 UVA, which beat Georgia Tech at JPJ on Saturday, is on the road Tuesday against No. 15 Notre Dame and next Sunday against No. 1 Villanova.Perseverance Paying Off for SchanyWrestling1/21/17Redshirt sophomore Will Schany is the starting 184-pounder for No. 25 Virginia, which meets No. 6 Virginia Tech at 4 p.m. Sunday in Blacksburg.Selflessness Marks Cavaliers' Latest WinMen's Basketball1/19/17In its latest road victory, a 71-54 conquest of Boston College, No. 16 Virginia recorded assists on 22 of its 27 field goals Wednesday night.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Tara Vittese Repeats as National Player of the Year
Field Hockey | 12/14/2016
Junior midfielder Tara Vittese was named the Longstreth/NFHCA Division I National Player of the...
Cavaliers Earn All-State Honors from VaSID
Field Hockey | 12/14/2016
Tara Vittese was named the State Player of the Year while Dominique van Slooten was named the top...
Ole Keusgen Named as USA Field Hockey U-19 Coach
Field Hockey | 12/12/2016
Assistant coach Ole Keusgen has been selected to lead the U.S. U-19 Women's National Team and...
Hyams, Vittese Named First-Team All-Americans
Field Hockey | 12/7/2016
Senior Lucy Hyams earned her second first-team All-America honor while junior Tara Vittese earned...
Tara Vittese Named South Region Player of the Year
Field Hockey | 12/1/2016
Virginia field hockey junior midfielder Tara Vittese was named the Longstreth/NFHCA South Region ...
Five Cavaliers Earn All-South Region Honors
Field Hockey | 11/29/2016
Hyams and Vittese were named to the first team while Foust, Lucas and van Slooten earned second-t...
Virginia Falls on a Last-Second Goal in NCAA Quarterfinals
Field Hockey | 11/13/2016
Princeton scored the game-winner as time expired to end the Cavaliers' season. Erin Shanahan and ...
Virginia Downs Michigan in NCAA First Round
Field Hockey | 11/12/2016
Tara Vittese scored the game-winner midway through the second half. UVA will face Princeton on...
- Online Stores