Tara Vittese, Dominique van Slooten and Michele Madison earn top honors in a vote by the commonwealth’s sports information directors
Fourth-years Riley Tata and Caleigh Foust scored goals on Senior Day
Riley Tata scored two goals during regulation; Tara Vittese netted the game-winner 1:29 into overtime
Cavaliers earn VaSID All-State Honors
Lucy Hyams and Riley Tata teamed up for a breakaway game winner 8:13 into overtime
• Started every game this season
• Scored the game-winner against Old Dominion (Oct. 2) and at Richmond (Oct. 18)
• Scored two goals against Miami (Aug. 26), Rutgers (Sept. 2) and Richmond (Oct. 18)
• Tied for tenth on the Virginia career goal scoring list with 45
• 2015 Longstreth/NFHCA Division I All-South Region Second Team
• VaSID First-Team All-State
• Second on the team with 14 goals, shooting 31.1 percent
• Ranked sixth in the ACC in goals per game (0.67)
• Played in all 21 games with 16 starts
• Scored a pair of goals against both Duke (Sept. 18) and North Carolina (Oct. 2)
• Scored the game-winning goal at Duke (Sept. 18) and Miami (Sept. 13)
• Scored a hat trick in the loss to Boston College (10/24)
• Scored both the game-tying and game-winning goals in the NCAA first-round game against Delaware
• Played in all 20 games with 13 starts
• Third on the team in scoring with 10 goals
• For the second year in a row, scored Virginia's first goal of the year on her first shot of the season, netting the game-winner at William & Mary (Aug. 27)
• Had her first career hat trick with three goals against Vermont (Sept. 28)
• Also scored the game-winner at Princeton (Oct. 3) and had the game-winning goal in the 2-1 upset victory at No. 1 North Carolina (Oct. 3)
• Played in 18 games with six starts
• Finished the regular-season tied for second on the team with 20 points
• Finished the regular-season ranked second on the team with 10 goals
• Began her collegiate career scoring three goals on her first three shots (over a three-game span)
• Scored the first goal of the season for the Cavaliers, netting a score 1:51 into the season-opener against Louisville (Aug. 30)
• Had two multi-goal games, scoring twice at Vermont (Sept. 15) and against James Madison
• Scored the game-winning goals at Albany (Oct. 6) and against Duke (Oct. 18)
• Four-sport athlete at Norfolk Academy, playing field hockey, basketball, soccer, and lacrosse
• 2012 Harrow Sports/NFHCA High School All-South Region
• Two-time first team All-State and two-time first team All-Tidewater
• 2012 TCIS Player of the Year and Team MVP
• Led Norfolk Academy to the state tournament three times, advancing to the finals in 2010 and 2011
• All-time single season and career record holder at Norfolk Academy with 119 goals, 37 assists, and 275 points
• Three-time TCIS leading scorer (65 points- 2010; 95 points- 2011; 97 points- 2012)
• Member of the 2009 Commonwealth Games U-16 champion team
• Won the "Outstanding Female Athlete" award at Norfolk Academy
• Scored over 1,000 career points in her Norfolk Academy basketball career, earning first team All-TCIS honors in 2013 as Team MVP
• Was the leading scorer on the 2011 State Champion soccer team at Norfolk Academy
• Named All-State Second Team in soccer in 2010
• Daughter of Bob and Anne Ferrell Tata
• Has two older sisters, Peyton and Carter, and a younger brother, Robert
• Her grandfather, Bob Tata, played football and baseball at Virginia, being named All-Virginia Big Six in both sports. He was also a collegiate batting champion and played in the North-South Shrine All-Star Game
• Her father, Bob, played football at the Naval Academy, setting 17 Navy records as a kicker. He was second on the all-time scoring list when he graduated
• Was selected as a 2012 Virginia Beach Neptune Princess, one of 12 high-achieving rising seniors from across the city who served as ambassadors at events such as Special Olympics, parades, and the "Surfers Healing" autism fundraiser
• Participated in mission trips to India, Tanzania, and the Dominican Republic
• Spent three years volunteering for senate and presidential campaigns
• History major
Tata's Career Statistics
Spring Football NotebookFootball4/20/18As part of the inaugural Wahoowa Weekend, spring football concludes for the Cavaliers with an open practice April 28 at Scott Stadium.Thompson Ready To Lead From FrontWomen's Basketball4/18/18The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena, where Tina Thompson was introduced as UVA's women's basketball coach.Walsh Ready to Lead 'Hoos in PostseasonMen's Golf4/18/18Healthy again after battling back problems for much of 2017, Thomas Walsh enters this weekend's ACC tournament in good form.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Nine Cavaliers Named to the NFHCA National Academic Squad
Field Hockey | 3/29/2018
Virginia field hockey had nine players named to the ZAG Field Hockey / NFHCA National Academic...
Virginia Announces Spring Competition Dates
Field Hockey | 3/6/2018
The Cavaliers will play three home scrimmages in March, including hosting the US U21 squad (March...
Tara Vittese Added to USWNT Roster
Field Hockey | 3/2/2018
Virginia senior midfielder Tara Vittese has been named to the roster of the U.S. Women's National...
Six Cavaliers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
Field Hockey | 2/2/2018
Six Virginia field hockey players were named to the All-ACC Academic team, including Becca...
Carrera Lucas Named to the US Women’s National...
Field Hockey | 1/19/2018
Virginia field hockey goalie Carrera Lucas has been named to the 2018 United States Women’s...
Rachel Robinson Named to the US Junior National Team
Field Hockey | 12/29/2017
Freshman back Rachel Robinson has been named to the roster of the 2018 United States U-21 Women...
Tara Vittese Earns Third National Player of the Year Honor
Field Hockey | 12/14/2017
Virginia field hockey senior midfielder Tara Vittese has been selected as the Longstreth/NFHCA...
Vittese and Dicke Named First-Team All-Americans
Field Hockey | 12/05/2017
Tara Vittese is the first Virginia player to be a four-time first-team All-American. Pien Dicke...
- Online Stores