Feb. 11, 2013
Sorrento, Fla. -
A day after shooting the lowest single-round score of her career, Virginia sophomore Briana Mao (Folsom, Calif.) bettered that effort to move into a tie for first place at the UCF Challenge following 36 holes of play. Mao carded an opening round score of 2-under 70 and followed that up with a 3-under 69 Monday. She is tied with Augusta State's Natalie Wille at 5-under 139 entering Tuesday's final round.
Thanks in part to Mao's low round, the Cavaliers moved up to a tie with Miami for sixth place on the 18-team leaderboard at Redtail Golf Club in Sorrento, Fla. Virginia shot 4-over 292, the second best round Monday, for a two-day total of 12-over 588. North Carolina leads the field at 11-under 565 following a second round score of 10-under 278.
Mao used birdies on her first, fifth, 11th and 18th holes to offset one bogey during her best day as a collegiate. She entered the tournament having posted one top-10 finish in her career. He was seventh at the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate last March.
Cavalier senior Brittany Altomare also managed to go below par during the second round, shooting 1-under 71, to move up to 27th place at 4-over 148. Portland Rosen is in 37th position at 149 following a second-round 75. Nicole Agnello is in 62nd place at 153 after shooting 78 Monday. Elizabeth Brightwell shot 77 after opening with a score of 85 to move up to 92nd at 162. Lauren Coughlin, competing as a non-scoring individual, shot 77 and is in 18th place at 2-over 146.
The final round of the tournament gets underway Tuesday at 8:45 a.m. with a shotgun start. Live scoring is online at Golfstat.com.
Redtail Golf Club
Par-72, 6,374 yards
Second Round Results
1. North Carolina 287-278-565
2. UCF 287-294-581
2. Tulane 288-293-581
4. East Carolina 289-298-587
4. Augusta State 287-300-587
6. Miami 293-295-588
6. Virginia 296-292-588
8. South Carolina 284-306-590
9. Mississippi 296-295-591
9. Texas State 293-298-591
11. South Florida 297-301-598
12. Louisville 299-302-601
13. Coastal Carolina 302-300-602
14. Kennesaw State 292-314-606
15. Col. of Charleston 299-308-607
16. Missouri 300-308-608
17. Georgia State 304-311-615
18. Oregon State 305-312-617
1. Briana Mao, Virginia 70-69-139
1. Natalie Wille, Augusta State 67--72-139
3. Casey Grice, North Carolina 72-68-140
4. Krista Puisite, Texas State 72-69-141
4. Leticia Ras-Anderica, Miami 69-72-141
6. Elizabeth Mallett, North Carolina 73-69-142
1. Briana Mao 70-69-139
18. Lauren Coughlin * 69-77-146
27. Brittany Altomare 77-71-148
37. Portland Rosen 74-75-149
62. Nicole Agnello 75-78-153
92. Elizabeth Brightwell 85-77-162
* Non-scoring individual