Feb. 15, 2014
Tallahassee, FL -
The 30th-ranked Virginia women's golf team moved up to fourth place following the second round of play at the Florida State Match-Up Tournament. The Cavaliers' shot 8-over 296 to bring their two-day total to 18-over 594. South Carolina, ranked No. 13, continues to lead the 11-team field at 586.
A trio of UVa players will enter Sunday's final round tied for 10th place. Briana Mao, Elizabeth Brightwell and Lauren Diaz-Yi all finished Saturday's play at 5-over 149. Brightwell led the team in the second round by shooting even par 72. Diaz-Yi shot 73 and Mao posted a score of 77.
Portland Rosen and Lauren Coughlin are tied for 23rd place at 151. Rosen shot 74 during the second round while Coughlin carded a score of 78.
Florida State's Matilda Castren shot 4-under 68 for the second consecutive day to continue to lead the field at 8-under 136.
In addition to traditional collegiate scoring, the tournament features a unique team-scoring component. The participating teams were paired in twosomes during the first two rounds and play in threesomes in the final round. The twosomes consist of partners playing together. The match-up portion of the tournament is determined by taking the best four scores from each of the partners and the lowest scores to make up the match-up partner total.
At the end of the tournament, the partners with the lowest score will win the Match-Up championship. The team and individual champions will also be crowned. Notre Dame was forced to withdraw from the field due to travel issues caused by weather.
Sunday's final round will feature an 8:30 a.m. shotgun start.
FSU Match Up
Southwood Golf Course
Par 72, 6,113 yards
Second Round Results
1. South Carolina 293-293-586
2. Clemson 297-292-589
3. Florida State 294-298-592
4. Virginia 298-296-594
5. Texas A&M 293-307-600
6. Mercer 298-303-601
7. Mississippi State 305-298-603
8. Furman 302-302-604
9. Kansas State 315-304-619
10. Kansas 309-311-620
10. Florida Gulf Coast 310-310-620
1. Matilda Castren, Florida State 68-68-136
2. Ashlan Ramsey, Clemson 74-68-142
2. Sarah Schmelzel, South Carolina 70-72-142
4. Ally McDonald, Miss. State 75-70-145
5. Jessica Peng, Miss. State 75-71-146
5. Katerina Ruzickova, Texas A&M 71-75-146
10. Briana Mao 72-77-149
10. Elizabeth Brightwell 77-72-149
10. Lauren Diaz-Yi 76-73-149
23. Portland Rosen 77-74-151
23. Lauren Coughlin 73-78-151
1. Clemson/Virginia 736
2. Florida State/Texas A&M 739
3. South Carolina/Mississippi State 739
4. Mississippi State/Kansas State 752
5. Mercer/FGCU 763
6. Furman/Kansas 765