April 15, 2006
Pinehurst, NC -
While there is little drama involved in which team will probably win the 18th annual ACC Women's Golf Championship in Pinehurst, N.C., the 17th-ranked Virginia women's golf team is having its best showing at the event in the three-year history of the program.
Top-ranked Duke continued to distance itself from the field during Saturday's second round and stands atop the leaderboard after 36 holes of play at 15-over 591. The Blue Devils are seeking their 11th consecutive league title.
Thanks to a second-round score of 12-over 300, the Virginia women moved up to second place with a two-day total of 608. Florida State is one shot behind the Cavaliers in third place at 609. The Seminoles shot 307 Saturday.
Virginia junior Leah Wigger carded an even-par 72 Saturday to move all the way up to a tie for second place on the scoreboard. Wigger enters Sunday's final round at 4-over 148 along with Florida State's Jaclyn Burch. Duke's Amanda Blumenherst has a solid hold on first place at 4-under 140.
Wigger is not the only Cavalier in the top-10 entering the final 18 holes of play. Rachel Smith and Carly Truitt are tied for ninth at 8-over 152. Virginia has never had a player post a top-10 finish at the ACC Championships.
Jennie Arseneault is 22nd for the Cavaliers at 156 and Lauren Mielbrecht is one shot behind her in 28th place.
Wigger got her round started on a positive note by posting a birdie on her first hole. She then ran into trouble at the sixth and seventh holes. She had an eight on the par-5 No. 6 at Pinehurst No. 8 and then added a bogie on the seventh hole to go to three over for the day. Wigger managed to rebound nicely with three birdies to close out her round and get back to even par.
Wigger is one of just four players in the field to manage to shoot par or better during one of the first two rounds of the tournament.
The third round of the tournament takes place Sunday and the final round will be held Sunday. Live scoring of the event is on the Internet at www.golfstat.com
Second Round Results
Pinehurst No. 8
Par 72, 6,293 yards
1. Duke 294-297-591
2. Virginia 308-300-608
3. Florida State 302-307-609
4. Maryland 308-304-612
5. NC State 302-312-614
6. Wake Forest 314-302-616
7. North Carolina 315-306-621
8. Miami 316-310-626
9. Boston College 330-323-653
1. Amanada Blumenherst, Duke 69-71-140
2. Leah Wigger, Virgina 76-72-148
2. Jaclyn Burch, Florida State 75-73-148
4. Nancy Mountcastle, NC State 74-75-149
4. Jennifer Pandolfi, Duke 75-74-149
4. Katie Stepaneik Maryland 75-74-149
4. Katie Trotter, Maryland 72-77-149
8. Caroline Westrup, Florida State 72-79-151
9. Stephanie Derrey, NC State 75-77-152
9. Rachel Smith, Virginia 75-77-152
9. Jessica Steward, Miami 74-78-152
9. Carly Truitt, Virginia 78-74-152
2. Leah Wigger 76-72-148
9. Rachel Smith 75-77-152
9. Carly Truitt 78-74-152
22. Jennie Arseneault 79-77-156
28. Lauren Mielbrecht 80-77-157