NCAA Final Round Webcast
Reigning NCAA Champion USC shot 6-over 294 for a 54-hole total of 890 to charge up the leaderboard and grab a one-shot lead over Arizona State. UCLA will make it an all-Pac-10 pairing in the final group of the day. The Bruins slid back to third place, but are just three strokes off the lead at 893. North Carolina is in fourth place at 906 and Denver is fifth, one shot ahead of UVa, at 907.
USC’s Jennifer Song holds a two-shot advantage over Purdue’s Maria Hernandez and UCLA’s Maria Jose Uribe in stroke play. Song shot 71 Thursday and enters the final round at even-par 216.
“Today was moving day and we felt we had only been playing average golf so far and we were still in the middle of the pack,” said Virginia coach Kim Lewellen. “We felt if we could have someone go out there today and throw out some low scores, then we could move up. We were waiting on those A’ games to happen and we got a couple today."
Nielson paced the Cavaliers by shooting 1-under 71 to climb into a tie for eighth place among the individual competitors. After finishing her first nine holes at 2-over she picked up three birdies on her back nine. Nielson’s 54-hole total stands at 6-over 222 after shooting 75 and 76 in the first two rounds.
“That was a huge day for Calle,” Lewellen said. “She’s only a second year, so for her to perform well at this tournament is a real boost for her so early in her college career."
Krog experienced a rollercoaster round, carding six birdies, five bogeys and one double bogey. Over her final six holes, she birdied the even-numbered holes and carded a bogey on the odd-numbered ones. Her 71 moved her up to 24th place at 10-over 226. Her 13 birdies after three rounds are the most by any player.
Kristen Simpson and Joy Kim recorded UVa’s other two counting scores during the round. Simpson shot 78 to finish in 54th place at 231. Kim shot 79 and is 80th at 235. Whitney Neuhauser posted an 81 and dropped back to 81st at 232.
“It was exciting. I saw a lot of birdies today,” Lewellen said. “Calle and Lene gave us some great scores today and the other girls stuck in there and really grinded it out and gave us some good scores. We played very, very well as a team today.”
Friday the Cavaliers will attempt to register their first-ever top-10 finish at the NCAA Championships. The team was 12th last season and placed 13th in 205.
The Cavaliers will start their final round at 12:10 p.m. from the first tee and will be paired with North Carolina and Denver.
The NCAA will webcast the 16th, 17th and 18th holes of the final round. The webcasts are scheduled from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for the morning wave and 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. (or until completion of play) for the afternoon wave. Visit the women’s golf page on NCAASports.com for the link to the webcast.
Live scoring of the NCAA Championships is online at Golfstat.com.
Caves Valley Golf Club
Owings Mills, Md.
Par-72, 6,443 yards
Third Round Results
1. USC (4) 301-295-294-890
2. Arizona State (1) 302-298-291-891
3. UCLA (2) 296-293-304-893
4. North Carolina (10) 299-301-306-906
5. Denver (14) 294-304-309-907
6. Virginia (3) 305-302-301-908
7. Oklahoma State (5) 303-297-309-909
8. Duke (11) 308-301-302-911
9. Pepperdine (13) 312-298-302-912
10. LSU (7) 302-304-309-915
11. Alabama (6) 305-302-311-918
11. Purdue (9) 306-301-311-918
13. Wake Forest (12) 303-300-318-921
14. Georgia (15) 316-307-301-924
15. Michigan State (17) 307-303-315-925
16. Tennessee (24) 307-313-306-926
17. UT Chattanooga (44) 316-307-305-928
18. Arizona (20) 310-305-314-929
19. TCU (27) 314-316-301-931
20. New Mexico (22) 311-314-307-932
21. Tulane (29) 312-305-317-934
22. Texas (38) 314-311-313-938
23. Ohio State (26) 323-311-314-948
24. UC Irvine (18) 320-316-312-948
Number in parenthesis is Golfstat ranking
5. Jennifer Song, USC 72-73-71-216
6. Maria Hernandez, Purdue 74-72-72-218
1. Maria Jose Uribe, UCLA 75-66-77-218
5. Alice Kim, UC Davis 74-75-70-219
6. Stephanie Connelly, UCF* 72-74-75-221
2. Lisa McCloskey, Pepperdine 74-69-78-221
7. Azahara Munoz, Arizona State 78-71-72-221
6. Amanda Blumenherst, Duke 75-73-74-222
9. Sydney Crane, North Carolina 75-72-75-222
2. Nannette Hill, Wake Forest 72-71-79-222
6. Pernilla Lindberg, Oklahoma State 74-72-76-222
8. Calle Nielson, Virginia 75-76-71-222
8. Jaclyn Sweeney, Arizona State 76-77-69-222
2. Stephanie Sherlock, Denver 70-73-79-222
8. Calle Nielson 75-76-71-222
24. Lene Krog 78-74-73-225
54. Kristen Simpson 77-76-78-231
57. Whitney Neuhauser 75-76-81-232
80. Joy Kim 79-77-79-235
Cavalier Football Notebook: UNC WeekFootball10/21/16At 3 p.m. Saturday, UVA (2-4, 1-1) hosts Coastal Division rival North Carolina (5-2, 3-1) in an ACC football game at Scott Stadium.Lucas Playing Key Role in TurnaroundField Hockey10/20/16Carrera Lucas' play at goalkeeper has helped No.9 Virginia, which hosts No. 7 Louisville on Friday night, win seven of its past eight games.Media Day NotebookMen's Basketball10/18/16Virginia, which advanced to the NCAA tournament's Elite Eight in 2015-16, opens the season Nov. 11 against UNC Greensboro at the Greensboro Coliseum.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Hoos Finish Eighth at Tar Heel Invitational
W. Golf | 10/16/2016
The Virginia women’s golf team wrapped up its play at the Tar Heel Invitational with an...
Patrick Aids UVA’s Move up Leaderboard at Tar Heel Invite
W. Golf | 10/15/2016
The Virginia women’s golf team posted the lowest score during the second round of the Tar...
Hoos Open Tar Heel Invited Tied for 12th Place
W. Golf | 10/14/2016
The Virginia women’s golf team shot 9-over 297 during the first round of play at the Tar...
UVA Women’s Golfers Head to Tar Heel Invitational
W. Golf | 10/12/2016
The Virginia women’s golf team returns to action this weekend at North Carolina’s...
Redding Has Career Best Performance at ANNIKA
W. Golf | 9/27/2016
The Virginia women’s golf team finished 11th at the ANNIKA Intercollegiate in Reunion, Fla....
Hoos Remain in Ninth Place at ANNIKA Intercollegiate
W. Golf | 9/26/2016
The Virginia women’s golf team remained in ninth place after the second round of play at...
Hoos Open Play at ANNIKA Intercollegiate
W. Golf | 09/25/2016
The Virginia women’s golf team is in ninth place after the first round of play at the...
Hoos Face Tough Field at ANNIKA Intercollegiate
W. Golf | 09/24/2016
The Virginia women’s golf team returns to action Sunday when the Cavaliers compete at the...
- Online Stores