Daytona Beach, FL - The Virginia women's golf team defeated Florida 4-1 to claim third place at the National Golf Coaches Association's Match Play Championships held in Daytona Beach. The Cavaliers went undefeated during their three match play events, but did not qualify for the championship final after losing a tiebreaker with Auburn in their semifinal event that ended in a draw.
Tuesday Calle Nielson led the Cavaliers with a 7 and 6 win against the Gators' Amelia Lewis. Whitney Neuhauser downed Marika Lendl 2 and 1, Nicole Agnello dropped Andrea Watts 1 up and Eleana Collins defeated Mia Piccio 2 up to round out the Virginia victories. Florida's lone point came when Evan Jensen defeated UVa's Brittany Altomare 4 and 3.
Nielson won all three of her match play showdowns while Neuhauser and Agnello picked up victories in two of three events.
LSU defeated Auburn 3-1-1 in the championship final.
Virginia resumes its fall schedule Sept. 25-27 when it competes at the Mason Rudolph Championship in Franklin, Tenn.
Virginia's NGCA Match Play Results
UVa 4, Florida 1
1. Evan Jensen (UF) d. Brittany Altomare (UVa) - 4 and 3
2. Whitney Neuhauser (UVa) d. Marika Lendl (UF) - 2 and 1
3. Calle Nielson (UVa) d. Amelia Lewis (UF) - 7 and 6
4. Nicole Agnello (UVa) d. Andrea Watts (UF) - 1 up
5. Eleana Collins (UVa) d. Mia Piccio (UF) - 2 up
Virginia 2, Auburn 2, 1 Halved (Auburn advances based on total holes won)
1. Brittany Altomare (UVa) vs. Cydney Clanton (UA) - Match Halved
2. Candace Schepperle (UA) d. Whitney Neuhauser (UVa) - 2 and 1
3. Nicole Agnello (UVa) d. Patricia Sanz (UA) - 1 up
4. Calle Nielson (UVa) d. Carlie Yadloczky (UA) - 2 up
5. Haley Wilson (UA) d. Joy Kim (UVa) - 3 and 1
Virginia 2, South Carolina 1, 2 Halved
1. Brittany Altomare (UVa) vs. Katie Burnett (SC) - Match Halved
2. Whitney Neuhauser (UVa) d. Amanda Strang (SC) - 1 up
3. Meredith Swanson (SC) d. Nicole Agnello (UVa) - 5 and 3
4. Calle Nielson (UVa) d. Corrine Carr (SC) - 2 and 1
5. Eleana Collins (UVa) vs. Taylor Barrett (SC) - Match Halved
Revamped Cavaliers Ready for New SeasonMen's Soccer8/26/16Newcomers abound for the Virginia men's soccer team, which opens the season Friday night against Coastal Carolina at Klöckner Stadium.Stearns Making Mark on UniversityWomen's Soccer8/25/16A four-year starter for the Virginia women's soccer team, Morgan Stearns hold the program record for career victories by a goalkeeper.Spanish Journey Strengthens Cavaliers' BondMen's Basketball8/20/16The Virginia men's basketball team made strides on and off the court during its 10-day tour of Spain this month.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Redding Falls in Match Play at U.S. Women’s Amateur
W. Golf | 8/3/2016
Virginia sophomore women’s golfer Anna Redding (Concord, N.C.) lost in the round of 64 of...
Redding Advances to Match Play at U.S. Women’s Amateur
W. Golf | 8/2/2016
Virginia sophomore women’s golfer Anna Redding (Concord, N.C.) advanced to the match play...
Jeff White: Cavalier Contingent Set for Big Stage
W. Golf | 7/31/2016
UVA will be well-represented this week at the U.S. Women's Amateur Championship in Springfield,...
UVA Represented by Five Golfers at U.S. Amateur Championship
W. Golf | 7/31/2016
The Virginia women’s golf program is represented by five current and former players at this...
Redding Earns WCGA All-American Scholars Honor
W. Golf | 7/8/2016
Virginia freshman women’s golfer Anna Redding (Concord, N.C.) has been named to the 2016...
Lewellen and Redding Earn VaSID Honors
W. Golf | 6/24/2016
Virginia had the most representation on the team with three players earning first-team honors, a ...
Coughlin Picks Up All-America Honors from Golfweek
W. Golf | 06/23/2016
For the second time this year, Virginia senior Lauren Coughlin (Chesapeake, Va.) has been named a...
Szokol and Redding Named to ACC All-Academic Team
W. Golf | 06/21/2016
Virginia women’s golfers Elizabeth Szokol (Winnetka, Ill.) and Anna Redding (Concord, N.C.)...
- Online Stores