Daytona Beach, FL - The Virginia women's golf team defeated Florida 4-1 to claim third place at the National Golf Coaches Association's Match Play Championships held in Daytona Beach. The Cavaliers went undefeated during their three match play events, but did not qualify for the championship final after losing a tiebreaker with Auburn in their semifinal event that ended in a draw.
Tuesday Calle Nielson led the Cavaliers with a 7 and 6 win against the Gators' Amelia Lewis. Whitney Neuhauser downed Marika Lendl 2 and 1, Nicole Agnello dropped Andrea Watts 1 up and Eleana Collins defeated Mia Piccio 2 up to round out the Virginia victories. Florida's lone point came when Evan Jensen defeated UVa's Brittany Altomare 4 and 3.
Nielson won all three of her match play showdowns while Neuhauser and Agnello picked up victories in two of three events.
LSU defeated Auburn 3-1-1 in the championship final.
Virginia resumes its fall schedule Sept. 25-27 when it competes at the Mason Rudolph Championship in Franklin, Tenn.
Virginia's NGCA Match Play Results
UVa 4, Florida 1
1. Evan Jensen (UF) d. Brittany Altomare (UVa) - 4 and 3
2. Whitney Neuhauser (UVa) d. Marika Lendl (UF) - 2 and 1
3. Calle Nielson (UVa) d. Amelia Lewis (UF) - 7 and 6
4. Nicole Agnello (UVa) d. Andrea Watts (UF) - 1 up
5. Eleana Collins (UVa) d. Mia Piccio (UF) - 2 up
Virginia 2, Auburn 2, 1 Halved (Auburn advances based on total holes won)
1. Brittany Altomare (UVa) vs. Cydney Clanton (UA) - Match Halved
2. Candace Schepperle (UA) d. Whitney Neuhauser (UVa) - 2 and 1
3. Nicole Agnello (UVa) d. Patricia Sanz (UA) - 1 up
4. Calle Nielson (UVa) d. Carlie Yadloczky (UA) - 2 up
5. Haley Wilson (UA) d. Joy Kim (UVa) - 3 and 1
Virginia 2, South Carolina 1, 2 Halved
1. Brittany Altomare (UVa) vs. Katie Burnett (SC) - Match Halved
2. Whitney Neuhauser (UVa) d. Amanda Strang (SC) - 1 up
3. Meredith Swanson (SC) d. Nicole Agnello (UVa) - 5 and 3
4. Calle Nielson (UVa) d. Corrine Carr (SC) - 2 and 1
5. Eleana Collins (UVa) vs. Taylor Barrett (SC) - Match Halved
Thompson Ready To Lead From FrontWomen's Basketball4/18/18The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena, where Tina Thompson was introduced as UVA's women's basketball coach.Walsh Ready to Lead 'Hoos in PostseasonMen's Golf4/18/18Healthy again after battling back problems for much of 2017, Thomas Walsh enters this weekend's ACC tournament in good form.Thompson Era Begins for CavaliersWomen's Basketball4/18/18Tina Thompson will be introduced as UVA's head women's basketball coach Wednesday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Cavaliers Set to Compete at ACC Championships
W. Golf | 4/19/2018
The No. 33 Virginia women’s golf team will compete at the 30th Annual ACC Championships...
Jeff White: Gonzales Looking to Peak in Postseason
W. Golf | 4/16/2018
Up next for Morgan Gonzales and her UVA teammates is the ACC tournament, which starts Saturday at...
Virginia Places 11th at Bryan National Collegiate
W. Golf | 4/7/2018
The No. 26 Virginia women’s golf team finished 11th at the Bryan National Collegiate.
Virginia Opens Play at Bryan National Collegiate
W. Golf | 4/6/2018
The No. 26 Virginia women’s golf team finished the first two rounds of play at the Bryan...
Bryan National Collegiate Next Stop for UVA Golfers
W. Golf | 4/5/2018
The No. 26 Virginia women’s golf team wraps up its regular season this weekend when the...
ACC Women’s Golf Championship Moves Dates and Site
W. Golf | 4/4/2018
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today that the site and the dates for the 2018 ACC Women&...
Patrick’s Fifth-Place Finishes Leads UVA at LSU
W. Golf | 03/25/2018
The 25th-ranked Virginia women’s golf team tied for third at the LSU Tiger Golf Classic in ...
Cavaliers Move up to Third at LSU Tiger Classic
W. Golf | 03/24/2018
The 25th-ranked Virginia women’s golf team moved up to third place following the second...
- Online Stores