Daytona Beach, FL - The Virginia women's golf team defeated Florida 4-1 to claim third place at the National Golf Coaches Association's Match Play Championships held in Daytona Beach. The Cavaliers went undefeated during their three match play events, but did not qualify for the championship final after losing a tiebreaker with Auburn in their semifinal event that ended in a draw.
Tuesday Calle Nielson led the Cavaliers with a 7 and 6 win against the Gators' Amelia Lewis. Whitney Neuhauser downed Marika Lendl 2 and 1, Nicole Agnello dropped Andrea Watts 1 up and Eleana Collins defeated Mia Piccio 2 up to round out the Virginia victories. Florida's lone point came when Evan Jensen defeated UVa's Brittany Altomare 4 and 3.
Nielson won all three of her match play showdowns while Neuhauser and Agnello picked up victories in two of three events.
LSU defeated Auburn 3-1-1 in the championship final.
Virginia resumes its fall schedule Sept. 25-27 when it competes at the Mason Rudolph Championship in Franklin, Tenn.
Virginia's NGCA Match Play Results
UVa 4, Florida 1
1. Evan Jensen (UF) d. Brittany Altomare (UVa) - 4 and 3
2. Whitney Neuhauser (UVa) d. Marika Lendl (UF) - 2 and 1
3. Calle Nielson (UVa) d. Amelia Lewis (UF) - 7 and 6
4. Nicole Agnello (UVa) d. Andrea Watts (UF) - 1 up
5. Eleana Collins (UVa) d. Mia Piccio (UF) - 2 up
Virginia 2, Auburn 2, 1 Halved (Auburn advances based on total holes won)
1. Brittany Altomare (UVa) vs. Cydney Clanton (UA) - Match Halved
2. Candace Schepperle (UA) d. Whitney Neuhauser (UVa) - 2 and 1
3. Nicole Agnello (UVa) d. Patricia Sanz (UA) - 1 up
4. Calle Nielson (UVa) d. Carlie Yadloczky (UA) - 2 up
5. Haley Wilson (UA) d. Joy Kim (UVa) - 3 and 1
Virginia 2, South Carolina 1, 2 Halved
1. Brittany Altomare (UVa) vs. Katie Burnett (SC) - Match Halved
2. Whitney Neuhauser (UVa) d. Amanda Strang (SC) - 1 up
3. Meredith Swanson (SC) d. Nicole Agnello (UVa) - 5 and 3
4. Calle Nielson (UVa) d. Corrine Carr (SC) - 2 and 1
5. Eleana Collins (UVa) vs. Taylor Barrett (SC) - Match Halved
Salt Evolving Into Pivotal PresenceMen's Basketball10/17/17A redshirt junior from New Zealand, 6-11 center Jack Salt has grown into a team leader for UVA, which has made four straight NCAA tournament appearances.Cavalier Men's Basketball NotebookMen's Basketball10/16/17The season starts Nov. 10 for the Cavaliers, whose third annual Pepsi Blue-White scrimmage is Sunday afternoon at JPJ.Resilient 'Hoos Keep Finding Ways to WinFootball10/14/17With a 20-14 victory Saturday over North Carolina at Kenan Stadium, Virginia stretched its winning streak to four games.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Redding Posts Career Best Score at Tar Heel Invite
W. Golf | 10/15/2017
The Virginia women’s golf team shot 1-under 287 during the final round of play at the Tar...
Redding Moves up to Third at Tar Heel Invitational
W. Golf | 10/14/2017
The Virginia women’s golf team shot 5-under 283 during the second round of play at the Tar ...
Redding Leads UVA at Tar Heel Invite with 2-Under 70
W. Golf | 10/13/2017
The Virginia women’s golf team shot 10-over 298 during the first round of play at the Tar...
Tar Heel Invitational Next Stop for UVA Golfers
W. Golf | 10/12/2017
The Virginia women’s golf team returns to action this weekend at North Carolina’s...
Redding’s Career-Best Round Leads UVA at Mason Rudolph
W. Golf | 9/17/2017
Anna Redding carded the best 18-hole score of her career to help lead Virginia to an eighth-place...
Hoos in Ninth Place After 36 Holes at Mason Rudolph
W. Golf | 9/16/2017
Led by junior Anna Redding, the Virginia women’s golf team finished the second round of...
Lillie Sizzles in Debut for Cavaliers
W. Golf | 09/15/2017
Behind the stellar debut of freshman Beth Lillie, the Virginia women’s golf team finished...
Hoos Open Season at Mason Rudolph Championship
W. Golf | 09/14/2017
The Virginia women’s golf team opens its 2017-18 season this weekend at Vanderbilt’s ...
- Online Stores