Dec. 5, 2013
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.—Virginia rowing head coach Kevin Sauer announced Wednesday (Dec. 2) that 10 student-athletes have signed national letters of intent to join the Cavaliers in the fall of 2014.
The class includes Colby Fagan, Ashley Gale, Mary Beth Greer, Jane Hudson, Elsa McLean, Kendall Mueller, Morgan Rosts, Shawna Sims, MacKenzie Springer and Haley Swanson.
“We have signed a very diverse class from many different areas of the United States and Canada,” Sauer said. “There are a lot of motivated student-athletes who will contribute to our team in many ways.”
Dover, Mass. – Phillips Andover Academy
Community Rowing Inc.
Coaches: Sallie Batchelor and Joe Bouscaren
• Earned bronze at New England Interscholastic Rowing Association Championships her freshman year
• Rowed with Phillips’ top boat at NEIRAs
“I chose UVa because it has the complete package for me,” Fagan said. “Virginia has an outstanding rowing program as well as an exceptional nursing school.”
Crozet, Va. – Western Albemarle High School
Beaver Creek Sculling
Coach: Tom Von Hemert
• Winner at Beaver Creek “Dam Turn Regatta”
• Competed at Head of the Charles in 2012
• Raced at Head of the Schuylkill, Canley and Stotesbury in 2013
“I’ve lived in Charlottesville and have been a Wahoo fan my whole life,” Gale said. “The chance to row at UVa is a dream come true.
Mary Beth Greer
Wilton, Conn. – Wilton High School
Saugatuck Rowing Club
Coach: Chase Graham
• Earned bronze in the 2x at the 2012 Head of the Charles
• Took home bronze in the lightweight 2x at the 2012 USRowing Youth Nationals
• Placed fourth in 8+ at the 2013 USRowing Youth Nationals
• Finished fourth in the 2x at the 2013 Head of the Charles
“When I first set foot on Grounds, I fell in love with what I saw,” Greer said. “After walking around, meeting the team and seeing the people that made up UVa, I only further solidified my decision that Virginia was the perfect school for me.”
Sandy, Utah – The Waterford School
Coach: Andrew Henrikson
• Member of the USRowing Sculling Development Camp
• Earned fourth place in the junior 4x at 2013 USRowing Club Nationals
• Versatile rower from small sculling boats to 8x
“I chose UVa because I like the atmosphere and standards of both the team and the school,” Hudson said. “I also appreciate the school’s commitment to the honor code, the beautiful Grounds, the quality of the coaching staff, the athletic and academic support and the rowing venue. I fell like this is a place where I can be happy and have the opportunity to achieve my goals.”
Middletown, Del. – St. Andrew’s School
Coach: Wilson Everhart
• Coxed St. Andrew’s girls V8 to silver at 2011 and 2012 Cooper Cup
• Coxed St. Andrew’s girls V8 to Stotesbury Finals in 2011 and 2012
• Coxed Patomac boys V4+ to USRowing Club Nationals
“UVa offers me the perfect balance of an incredibly-competitive rowing program and outstanding academics,” McLean said. “Both the team and the school are unparalleled in my mind and, after being raised a UVa fan my entire life, I am thrilled to part of such a remarkable community.”
Houston, Texas – Bishop Lynch High School
Dallas United Crew
Coach: Jonathan Stephens
• Winner in 1x at 2013 BLAST Regatta
• Silver in 8x at 2013 Oklahoma City Night Sprints
• Bronze at 2013 SWEAT Indoor Regatta
“The best part of UVa was definitely the team,” Mueller said. “Of course, the University was absolutely beautiful and the classes I attended were extremely interesting, but watching practice and seeing how much of a family the team is made me want to be a part of it.”
Jordan, Ontario – Governor Simcoe Secondary School
Ridley Graduate Boat Club
Coach: Kathy Boyes
• Earned silver at the 2013 Ontario Indoor Senior Ergometer Championships
• Placed third in both the U17 2x and U17 4x at the 2012 Royal Canadian Henley Regatta
• Took home silver in the U19 2x at the 2012 Ontario Championships
• Placed second in the senior 8x at the 2012 Canadian Secondary School Regatta
“I chose to come to Virginia because of the opportunity to experience and contribute to a world-class rowing program at a world-class academic institution,” Rosts said.
Sarasota, Fla. – Venice High School
Coach: Marty Beyer
• Earned silver in the 4x at the 2013 Junior World Championships in Trakai, Lithuania
• Claimed gold in the senior 4x and intermediate 4x at 2013 USRowing Club Nationals
• Finished first in varsity 8+ at USRowing Southeast Regionals
• Earned gold in lightweight 4x at 2011 USRowing Youth Nationals
• Earned gold at Florida State Championships in 2011, 2012 and 2013
“UVa fits my personality well in both academics and athletics,” Sims said. “The coaches and team are extremely motivated and set high standards for themselves both on and off the water. I want to achieve in all aspects of my life and I feel like UVa is best environment for me to do so.”
Fairfax, Va. – Oakton High School
Resilient Rowing Club
Coaches: Dane Underwood and Paul Albright
• 2013 Washington Post All-Met First Team selection
• Earned fourth place in 4+ at USRowing Club Nationals
• Took home bronze in 8+ at Virginia State Championships
“I loved the competitive environment at UVa,” Springer said. “It seemed like the girls really pushed each other to get better together. Also, it’s an amazing academic school with gorgeous Grounds and I feel like it will push me just as hard academically as athletically.”
Severna Park, Md. – Severna Park High School
Annapolis Junior Rowing Association
Coach: Todd Nix
• Member of the 2013 USRowing High Performance Team
• Earned bronze at the 2013 Mid-Atlantic Erg Sprints
• Finished ninth at the 2013 CRASH-Bs
“I chose to come to UVa because of its outstanding academics,” Swanson said. “In terms of rowing, the team atmosphere is amazing and I can see myself fitting into it well. The coaches are great, they know how to make their program excel and will be awesome to work with.”
Short-Handed 'Hoos Rediscover Shooting TouchMen's Basketball2/25/17No. 18 Virginia, which hosts No. 8 North Carolina at 7 p.m. Monday, ended a four-game losing streak Saturday with a victory at NC State.Weekend Notebook: Perrantes Hits HomestretchMen's Basketball2/24/17For point guard London Perrantes, the final regular-season road game of his UVA basketball career is Saturday afternoon at NC State.Casey's Return Buoys CavaliersBaseball2/22/17Derek Casey, who missed the 2016 season while recovering from Tommy John surgery, pitched five strong innings in No. 14 Virginia's home opener.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Rowing Announces 2017 Schedule
W. Rowing | 1/26/2017
The seven-time defending Atlantic Coast Conference champions will compete in seven regattas,...
Virginia Takes Both Races at Rivanna Romp
W. Rowing | 11/13/2016
The Virginia rowing team concluded its fall season with a pair of victories at the Rivanna Romp...
Cavaliers Host Rivanna Romp on Sunday
W. Rowing | 11/11/2016
The Virginia rowing team concludes its 2016 fall schedule on Sunday morning (Nov. 13) by hosting ...
Virginia Places Second at Princeton Chase
W. Rowing | 10/30/2016
Brown won the Varsity Eight race with a time of 14:14.672 to defeat runner-up Virginia who came...
Princeton Chase Next For UVA Rowing
W. Rowing | 10/28/2016
The Virginia rowing team travels to Princeton, N.J., to compete in the Princeton Chase on Sunday ...
V8 Places Fourth Among Collegiate Boats at HOCR
W. Rowing | 10/23/2016
Virginia’s Varsity Eight finished fourth among collegiate boats in the Championship Eights ...
UVA Opens Fall Season at the Head of the Charles
W. Rowing | 10/21/2016
The 52nd edition of the Head of the Charles will feature 2,260 crews and 10,600 athletes...
UVA Rowing Announces Captains
W. Rowing | 09/29/2016
Seniors Ellen Pate, Georgia Ratcliff and Grace Tuttle (Vienna, Va.) have been named tri-captains ...
- Online Stores