Sept. 6, 2017
|No. 8 Virginia (4-1-0) vs. No. 1 UCLA (6-0-0)|
|Date & Time||Sept. 7 • 7 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | Klöckner Stadium|
|Match Notes||UVA Match Notes|
|Multimedia||Live Stats | ACC Network Extra|
|Additional Information||Buy Tickets | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 8 Virginia (4-1-0) women’s soccer team welcomes the nation’s top-ranked team to Grounds this week, hosting No. 1 UCLA (6-0-0) at 7 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium.
The contest will air on ACC Network Extra, which is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. Fans can also keep up with the action through live stats linked at VirginiaSports.com or by following the program’s official Twitter account @UVAWSoccer.
• Virginia has scored seven goals this season with six different goal scorers for the Hoos
• Freshman keeper Laurel Ivory has posted three shutouts in the four UVA victories this year
• Freshman Taryn Torres leads the Cavaliers with two goals this season and four total points
• Sophomore Taylor Ziemer has matched Torres with four points on a goal and two assists
• With this week’s games, UVA will have faced three top 5 teams in its first seven matches
THE SERIES WITH UCLA
• UVA and UCLA have faced off nine times with the Bruins leading the series 4-3-2
• The Cavaliers have won two consecutive matches in the series, both by scores of 2-1
• Five of the meetings came in the NCAA Tournament, all in the Round of 16 or later
• In 2013, the Bruins defeated the Cavaliers in the NCAA semifinals on the way to an NCAA title
• In 2014, the Cavaliers beat the Bruins in the Round of Eight and finished as NCAA runner-up
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
• UVA closes its five-match home stand on Sunday against 2015 NCAA Champion Penn State
• This week both Penn State and Virginia are ranked in the top 10 of the national polls
• The Nittany Lions lead the series with UVA 4-7-1 with the Hoos winning two straight
• Penn State will host No. 8 North Carolina on Thursday night while UVA plays No. 1 UCLA
• The matchup with PSU comes before UVA opens ACC play at NC State next week
PROMOTIONS ABOUND AT KLÖCKNER THIS WEEK
• Fans can take part in the fun at Klöckner Stadium throughout the season with a variety of promotions
• The first 500 fans in attendance on Thursday vs. No. 1 UCA will receive free vuvuzelas
• Sunday vs. No. 5 Penn State, fans can show their UVA pride with free face painting and a balloon artist
• Free cowbells will also be given out to fans prior to the Sunday game vs. Penn State
• Following the match against Penn State on Sunday, Cavalier fans can also get autographs from the team
UPDATED BAG POLICY AT KLÖCKNER STADIUM
Put into place starting with this weekend’s athletic events (Aug. 25-27), Virginia athletics has updated its bag policies to mirror those already in place for Scott Stadium. At Klöckner Stadium, Turf Field and Memorial Gymnasium the following procedures have been put into effect.
All guests are subject to inspection and search for prohibited items. Event staff will examine the contents of bags, jackets, pockets, or any other personal item before admitting guests to the facility. In order to expedite entrance into the facility, it is recommended that guests not bring bags to events and arrive early at the facility entrances.
• Artificial noisemakers^ - see exception below for men's and women’s soccer games at Klöckner Stadium
• Balls, Frisbees, lacrosse sticks, and similar items
• Containers (including plastic or glass bottles, cans, coolers, or flasks)
• Food and beverages
• Strollers (except umbrella strollers) - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
• Umbrellas - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
^For men's and women's soccer matches only, artificial noisemakers are allowed; however air horns, whistles, bullhorns or devices that amplify electric sound, including battery-operated devices, are prohibited.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to prohibit any item deemed hazardous or disruptive to the athletics event or the enjoyment of the event by other guests.
The above procedures are designed to provide a safe and positive experience for all fans in attendance at Virginia athletics events.
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Unveils 2018 Women's Soccer Schedule
W. Soccer | 6/20/2018
The Virginia women's soccer announced its 2018 schedule on Wednesday with 10 home matches,...
6.18.18 Hoos In The NWSL
W. Soccer | 6/18/2018
Catch up with our former players in the National Women's Soccer League with a look around the...
Virginia Women's Soccer Announces 2018 Signing Class
W. Soccer | 5/24/2018
The Virginia women's soccer program announced its 2018 signing class on Thursday, the fourth-rank...
Jeff White: Talented Freshmen Make Most of Head Start
W. Soccer | 4/24/2018
After enrolling at UVA in January, freshmen Alexa Spaanstra and Ashlynn Serepca practiced and...
Virginia To Play Six Dates As Part Of Spring Schedule
W. Soccer | 3/14/2018
Virginia women's soccer team will face some of the nation's top teams in spring exhibition,...
Three Student-Athletes Earn ACC Postgraduate Honors
W. Soccer | 2/28/2018
Corey Johnson and Holly Sullivan earned the Weaver-James-Corrigan Award, while Veronica Latsko...
Five Cavaliers Named To ACC Women's Soccer All-Academic Team
W. Soccer | 02/01/2018
Five members of the Virginia women's soccer team were named to the ACC Women's Soccer All-Academi...
Veronica Latsko Selected By Houston Dash In NWSL Draft
W. Soccer | 01/18/2018
Senior forward Veronica Latsko was selected with the 28th overall pick by the Houston Dash in the...
- Online Stores