Sept. 9, 2017
|No. 8 Virginia (4-2-0) vs. No. 5 Penn State (4-1-0)|
|Date & Time||Sept. 10 • 2 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | Klöckner Stadium|
|Match Notes||UVA Match Notes|
|Multimedia||Live Stats | ACC Network Extra|
|Additional Information||Buy Tickets | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The home stand continues for the No. 8 Virginia (4-2-0) women’s soccer team on Sunday (Sept. 10) when the Cavaliers host No. 5 Penn State (4-1-0) in a 2 p.m. contest at Klöckner Stadium.
The contest will air on ACC Network Extra, which is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. Fans can also keep up with the action through live stats linked at VirginiaSports.com or by following the program’s official Twitter account @UVAWSoccer.
• Virginia has scored eight goals this season with six different goal scorers for the Hoos
• Freshman keeper Laurel Ivory has posted three shutouts in the four UVA victories this year
• Sophomore Taylor Ziemer leads the Cavaliers with two goals and two assists for six points
• Freshman Taryn Torres is second for the Hoos with two goals for four total points on the year
• With this week’s games, UVA will have faced three top 5 teams in its first seven matches
• Virginia has scored at least one goal in five of the six matches played this season
THE SERIES WITH PENN STATE
• UVA and Penn State have faced off 12 times with the Nittany Lions leading the series 7-4-1
• The Cavaliers have won two consecutive matches in the series with Penn State
• Virginia’s 5-1 win over Penn State in 2013 was the first home win in the series for UVA
• The Cavaliers and Nittany Lions have only played in Charlottesville four times in 12 meetings
• The first meeting came in 1997, a 5-2 win by the Cavaliers by the Cavaliers in State College
PROMOTIONS ABOUND AT KLÖCKNER THIS WEEK
• Fans can take part in the fun at Klöckner Stadium throughout the season with a variety of promotions
• Sunday, fans can show their UVA pride with free face painting and a balloon artist
• Free cowbells will also be given out to fans prior to the Sunday game vs. Penn State
• Following the match against Penn State, Cavalier fans can also get autographs from the team
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
• UVA goes on the road for the first time in five matches when it returns to play next week
• The Cavaliers open Atlantic Coast Conference action on Friday at 7 p.m. at NC State
• It’s the first of two matches in North Carolina next week for UVA who will also play at ECU
• The matchup with East Carolina on Sunday is the final non-conference match on the slate
• It will be the 40th meeting between NC State and UVA and second-ever meeting vs. ECU
UPDATED BAG POLICY AT KLÖCKNER STADIUM
Put into place this fall, Virginia athletics has updated its bag policies to mirror those already in place for Scott Stadium. At Klöckner Stadium, Turf Field and Memorial Gymnasium the following procedures have been put into effect.
All guests are subject to inspection and search for prohibited items. Event staff will examine the contents of bags, jackets, pockets, or any other personal item before admitting guests to the facility. In order to expedite entrance into the facility, it is recommended that guests not bring bags to events and arrive early at the facility entrances.
• Artificial noisemakers^ - see exception below for men's and women’s soccer games at Klöckner Stadium
• Balls, Frisbees, lacrosse sticks, and similar items
• Containers (including plastic or glass bottles, cans, coolers, or flasks)
• Food and beverages
• Strollers (except umbrella strollers) - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
• Umbrellas - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
^For men's and women's soccer matches only, artificial noisemakers are allowed; however air horns, whistles, bullhorns or devices that amplify electric sound, including battery-operated devices, are prohibited.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to prohibit any item deemed hazardous or disruptive to the athletics event or the enjoyment of the event by other guests.
The above procedures are designed to provide a safe and positive experience for all fans in attendance at Virginia athletics events.
No. 1 Cavaliers Celebrate Latest FeatMen's Basketball2/24/18Three days after clinching the No. 1 seed in the ACC tournament, top-ranked Virginia secured the outright regular-season title with a win at Pitt.Cunningham Flying High With EaglesFootball2/23/18Former UVA offensive lineman Ian-Yates Cunningham is the Philadelphia Eagles' director of college scouting.No. 1 Cavaliers Reach Another MilestoneMen's Basketball2/22/18Top-ranked Virginia clinched the No. 1 seed in the ACC tournament Tuesday night with a hard-earned victory over Georgia Tech at John Paul Jones Arena.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Five Named To ACC Women's Soccer All-Academic Team
W. Soccer | 2/1/2018
Five members of the Virginia women's soccer team were named to the ACC Women's Soccer All-Academi...
Veronica Latsko Selected By Houston Dash In NWSL Draft
W. Soccer | 1/18/2018
Senior forward Veronica Latsko was selected with the 28th overall pick by the Houston Dash in the...
Cavalier Trio Named To U.S. U-20 Women's National Team
W. Soccer | 1/10/2018
Three members of the Virginia women's soccer team have been named to the U.S. Under-20 Women's...
Ivory, Torres Named To Top Drawer Soccer Freshman Best XI Team
W. Soccer | 12/18/2017
Virginia freshmen Laurel Ivory and Taryn Torres were named to the Freshman Best XI team by Top...
Jeff White: UVA Soccer Expects Continued Success in 2018
W. Soccer | 11/30/2017
UVA's soccer teams, whose seasons ended with NCAA tournament losses this month, are looking to...
Virginia Trio Named All-Region By United Soccer Coaches
W. Soccer | 11/28/2017
Three members of the Virginia women's soccer team were recognized for athletic achievement with...
No. 12 Virginia Falls 2-1 At No. 4 UCLA In Sweet 16 Matchup
W. Soccer | 11/20/2017
The No. 12 Virginia women's soccer team fell to No. 4 UCLA by a score of 2-1 on a late goal in...
No. 12 Virginia Advances With 3-0 Win Over No. 11 Pepperdine
W. Soccer | 11/17/2017
A trio of Cavaliers scored on Friday night as No. 12 Virginia advanced in the NCAA Tournament...
- Online Stores