Sept. 9, 2017
|No. 8 Virginia (4-2-0) vs. No. 5 Penn State (4-1-0)|
|Date & Time||Sept. 10 • 2 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | Klöckner Stadium|
|Match Notes||UVA Match Notes|
|Multimedia||Live Stats | ACC Network Extra|
|Additional Information||Buy Tickets | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The home stand continues for the No. 8 Virginia (4-2-0) women’s soccer team on Sunday (Sept. 10) when the Cavaliers host No. 5 Penn State (4-1-0) in a 2 p.m. contest at Klöckner Stadium.
The contest will air on ACC Network Extra, which is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. Fans can also keep up with the action through live stats linked at VirginiaSports.com or by following the program’s official Twitter account @UVAWSoccer.
• Virginia has scored eight goals this season with six different goal scorers for the Hoos
• Freshman keeper Laurel Ivory has posted three shutouts in the four UVA victories this year
• Sophomore Taylor Ziemer leads the Cavaliers with two goals and two assists for six points
• Freshman Taryn Torres is second for the Hoos with two goals for four total points on the year
• With this week’s games, UVA will have faced three top 5 teams in its first seven matches
• Virginia has scored at least one goal in five of the six matches played this season
THE SERIES WITH PENN STATE
• UVA and Penn State have faced off 12 times with the Nittany Lions leading the series 7-4-1
• The Cavaliers have won two consecutive matches in the series with Penn State
• Virginia’s 5-1 win over Penn State in 2013 was the first home win in the series for UVA
• The Cavaliers and Nittany Lions have only played in Charlottesville four times in 12 meetings
• The first meeting came in 1997, a 5-2 win by the Cavaliers by the Cavaliers in State College
PROMOTIONS ABOUND AT KLÖCKNER THIS WEEK
• Fans can take part in the fun at Klöckner Stadium throughout the season with a variety of promotions
• Sunday, fans can show their UVA pride with free face painting and a balloon artist
• Free cowbells will also be given out to fans prior to the Sunday game vs. Penn State
• Following the match against Penn State, Cavalier fans can also get autographs from the team
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
• UVA goes on the road for the first time in five matches when it returns to play next week
• The Cavaliers open Atlantic Coast Conference action on Friday at 7 p.m. at NC State
• It’s the first of two matches in North Carolina next week for UVA who will also play at ECU
• The matchup with East Carolina on Sunday is the final non-conference match on the slate
• It will be the 40th meeting between NC State and UVA and second-ever meeting vs. ECU
UPDATED BAG POLICY AT KLÖCKNER STADIUM
Put into place this fall, Virginia athletics has updated its bag policies to mirror those already in place for Scott Stadium. At Klöckner Stadium, Turf Field and Memorial Gymnasium the following procedures have been put into effect.
All guests are subject to inspection and search for prohibited items. Event staff will examine the contents of bags, jackets, pockets, or any other personal item before admitting guests to the facility. In order to expedite entrance into the facility, it is recommended that guests not bring bags to events and arrive early at the facility entrances.
• Artificial noisemakers^ - see exception below for men's and women’s soccer games at Klöckner Stadium
• Balls, Frisbees, lacrosse sticks, and similar items
• Containers (including plastic or glass bottles, cans, coolers, or flasks)
• Food and beverages
• Strollers (except umbrella strollers) - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
• Umbrellas - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
^For men's and women's soccer matches only, artificial noisemakers are allowed; however air horns, whistles, bullhorns or devices that amplify electric sound, including battery-operated devices, are prohibited.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to prohibit any item deemed hazardous or disruptive to the athletics event or the enjoyment of the event by other guests.
The above procedures are designed to provide a safe and positive experience for all fans in attendance at Virginia athletics events.
Cavaliers Looking to Build MomentumWomen's Basketball11/22/17Virginia (2-3) will play twice this weekend in the Cavalier Classic at John Paul Jones Arena: Saturday against Harvard and Sunday against Duquesne.'Hoos Eager to Seize Opportunity Friday NightFootball11/21/17At 8 p.m. Friday, in the annual battle for the Commonwealth Clash, UVA (6-5 overall, 3-4 ACC) meets Virginia Tech (8-3, 4-3) at Scott Stadium.Hunter Dazzles as 'Hoos Stay UnbeatenMen's Basketball11/19/17Behind a career-high 23 points from redshirt freshman De'Andre Hunter, unbeaten Virginia defeated Monmouth 73-53 on Sunday at JPJ.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 12 Virginia Falls At No. 4 UCLA 2-1 In Sweet 16
W. Soccer | 11/20/2017
The No. 12 Virginia women's soccer team fell to No. 4 UCLA by a score of 2-1 on a late goal in...
No. 12 Virginia Advances With 3-0 Win Over No. 11 Pepperdine
W. Soccer | 11/17/2017
A trio of Cavaliers scored on Friday night as No. 12 Virginia advanced in the NCAA Tournament...
Virginia Faces Pepperdine In NCAA Second Round Friday
W. Soccer | 11/16/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team seeks a berth in the NCAA Tournament Round of 16 when it takes...
Jeff White: Torres Makes Most of Learning Opportunity
W. Soccer | 11/15/2017
Freshman Taryn Torres has scored a team-high eight goals for Virginia, which meets Pepperdine in ...
Virginia Downs Saint Francis 2-0 In NCAA Opening Round
W. Soccer | 11/11/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team picked up a 2-0 win over Saint Francis on Saturday night to...
Virginia Hosts Saint Francis In NCAA First-Round Match Saturday
W. Soccer | 11/10/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team opens NCAA Tournament play at 7 p.m. on Saturday against Saint...
Reid Named CoSIDA Academic All-District Selection
W. Soccer | 11/09/2017
Megan Reid, a senior defender on the Virginia women's soccer team, was named a first-team CoSIDA ...
Virginia Hosts St. Francis In NCAA First Round Saturday
W. Soccer | 11/06/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team earned a three-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host St....
- Online Stores