Sept. 30, 2017
|No. 15 Virginia (6-3-2, 1-1-1 ACC) at Pittsburgh (3-5-3, 0-2-1 ACC)|
|Date & Time||Oct. 1 • 1 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | Klöckner Stadium|
|Match Notes||UVA Match Notes|
|Multimedia||Live Stats | WatchESPN|
|Additional Information||Buy Home Tickets | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 15 Virginia (6-3-2, 1-1-1 ACC) women’s soccer team continues ACC play on the road Sunday (Oct. 1), traveling to face Pittsburgh (3-5-3, 0-2-1 ACC) in a 1 p.m. contest at the Petersen Sports Complex.
The contest will air on ACC Network Extra, which is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. Fans can also keep up with the action through live stats linked at VirginiaSports.com or by following the program’s official Twitter account @UVAWSoccer.
• Sophomore Taylor Ziemer leads the Hoos with three goals and three assists for nine points
• Freshman Taryn Torres is second for the Hoos with three goals for six total points this year
• Torres hit the game-winner vs. Miami and two of her three goals in 2017 are game-winners
• Nine different players have scored for UVA this season, while seven players have added assists
• UVA has played four top 10 teams so far this season, going 2-2 against those teams
• The Cavaliers have seven regular-season matches remaining, with four coming at home
THE SERIES WITH PITTSBURGH
• Virginia and Pittsburgh have faced each other four times with the Cavaliers leading 4-0-0
• The first meeting between the teams came in 2013 with UVA picking up a 3-1 victory at Pitt
• Virginia has out-scored the Panthers 21-2 in the series, including back-to-back 6-0 victories
• Two current Hoos have multiple-goal games vs. Pitt and two have multiple-assist games
• Taylor Ziemer scored two goals in 2016, while Betsy Brandon had two goals in 2015
• Ziemer added two assists in the 2016 match, while Veronica Latsko had two assists in 2014
LAST TIME VS. PITTSBURGH
• UVA and Pitt last met in Charlottesville with the Hoos picking up a 6-0 victory on Oct. 6, 2016
• The Hoos got three first-half goals and added three second-half goals to close the match
• Taylor Ziemer scored two goals and added two assists for her first multiple-goal game
• Ziemer hit the first goal in the 15th minute and added the second in the 50th minute
• She connected twice with Alexis Shaffer, earning assists in the 22nd and 52nd minutes
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
• Virginia will return home for a pair of ACC matches next week vs. Notre Dame and Louisville
• UVA and Notre Dame face off on Thursday marking the sixth-ever meeting with the Irish
• The meeting with Louisville will come on Sunday and is the fourth-ever with the Cardinals
• Virginia is 4-1-0 all-time against Notre Dame and 3-0-0 all-time against Louisville
WOMEN’S SOCCER REUNION WEEKEND
• UVA will host a reunion weekend next weekend in conjunction with the Duke football game
• Friday will feature a mix and mingle for alumni in Charlottesville to kick off the weekend
• Saturday will have a tailgate and the football game against the Blue Devils
• Sunday features a brunch with the team prior to the 2 p.m. contest against Louisville
• Alumni can register at http://wahoowa.net/WSoccerReunion
Diakite's Impact Growing for CavaliersMen's Basketball12/15/17Redshirt sophomore Mamadi Diakite has been a positive presence around the basket for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts Davidson on Saturday afternoon at JPJ.Welsh Connection Adds to Bowl StorylinesFootball12/14/17Virginia (6-6) meets Navy (6-6) in the Military Bowl, Dec. 28 in Annapolis, Md. George Welsh is a former head coach of each team.Cooper Thriving Under New StaffSwimming & Diving12/12/17A senior from Atlanta and one of the team's captains, Caitlin Cooper set the UVA women's record in the 50-yard freestyle early this month in Athens, Georgia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: UVA Soccer Expects Continued Success in 2018
W. Soccer | 11/30/2017
UVA's soccer teams, whose seasons ended with NCAA tournament losses this month, are looking to...
Virginia Trio Named All-Region By United Soccer Coaches
W. Soccer | 11/28/2017
Three members of the Virginia women's soccer team were recognized for athletic achievement with...
No. 12 Virginia Falls 2-1 At No. 4 UCLA In Sweet 16 Matchup
W. Soccer | 11/20/2017
The No. 12 Virginia women's soccer team fell to No. 4 UCLA by a score of 2-1 on a late goal in...
No. 12 Virginia Advances With 3-0 Win Over No. 11 Pepperdine
W. Soccer | 11/17/2017
A trio of Cavaliers scored on Friday night as No. 12 Virginia advanced in the NCAA Tournament...
Virginia Faces Pepperdine In NCAA Second Round Friday
W. Soccer | 11/16/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team seeks a berth in the NCAA Tournament Round of 16 when it takes...
Jeff White: Torres Makes Most of Learning Opportunity
W. Soccer | 11/15/2017
Freshman Taryn Torres has scored a team-high eight goals for Virginia, which meets Pepperdine in ...
Virginia Downs Saint Francis 2-0 In NCAA Opening Round
W. Soccer | 11/11/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team picked up a 2-0 win over Saint Francis on Saturday night to...
Virginia Hosts Saint Francis In NCAA First-Round Match Saturday
W. Soccer | 11/10/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team opens NCAA Tournament play at 7 p.m. on Saturday against Saint...
- Online Stores