Sept. 30, 2017
|No. 15 Virginia (6-3-2, 1-1-1 ACC) at Pittsburgh (3-5-3, 0-2-1 ACC)|
|Date & Time||Oct. 1 • 1 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | Klöckner Stadium|
|Match Notes||UVA Match Notes|
|Multimedia||Live Stats | WatchESPN|
|Additional Information||Buy Home Tickets | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 15 Virginia (6-3-2, 1-1-1 ACC) women’s soccer team continues ACC play on the road Sunday (Oct. 1), traveling to face Pittsburgh (3-5-3, 0-2-1 ACC) in a 1 p.m. contest at the Petersen Sports Complex.
The contest will air on ACC Network Extra, which is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. Fans can also keep up with the action through live stats linked at VirginiaSports.com or by following the program’s official Twitter account @UVAWSoccer.
• Sophomore Taylor Ziemer leads the Hoos with three goals and three assists for nine points
• Freshman Taryn Torres is second for the Hoos with three goals for six total points this year
• Torres hit the game-winner vs. Miami and two of her three goals in 2017 are game-winners
• Nine different players have scored for UVA this season, while seven players have added assists
• UVA has played four top 10 teams so far this season, going 2-2 against those teams
• The Cavaliers have seven regular-season matches remaining, with four coming at home
THE SERIES WITH PITTSBURGH
• Virginia and Pittsburgh have faced each other four times with the Cavaliers leading 4-0-0
• The first meeting between the teams came in 2013 with UVA picking up a 3-1 victory at Pitt
• Virginia has out-scored the Panthers 21-2 in the series, including back-to-back 6-0 victories
• Two current Hoos have multiple-goal games vs. Pitt and two have multiple-assist games
• Taylor Ziemer scored two goals in 2016, while Betsy Brandon had two goals in 2015
• Ziemer added two assists in the 2016 match, while Veronica Latsko had two assists in 2014
LAST TIME VS. PITTSBURGH
• UVA and Pitt last met in Charlottesville with the Hoos picking up a 6-0 victory on Oct. 6, 2016
• The Hoos got three first-half goals and added three second-half goals to close the match
• Taylor Ziemer scored two goals and added two assists for her first multiple-goal game
• Ziemer hit the first goal in the 15th minute and added the second in the 50th minute
• She connected twice with Alexis Shaffer, earning assists in the 22nd and 52nd minutes
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
• Virginia will return home for a pair of ACC matches next week vs. Notre Dame and Louisville
• UVA and Notre Dame face off on Thursday marking the sixth-ever meeting with the Irish
• The meeting with Louisville will come on Sunday and is the fourth-ever with the Cardinals
• Virginia is 4-1-0 all-time against Notre Dame and 3-0-0 all-time against Louisville
WOMEN’S SOCCER REUNION WEEKEND
• UVA will host a reunion weekend next weekend in conjunction with the Duke football game
• Friday will feature a mix and mingle for alumni in Charlottesville to kick off the weekend
• Saturday will have a tailgate and the football game against the Blue Devils
• Sunday features a brunch with the team prior to the 2 p.m. contest against Louisville
• Alumni can register at http://wahoowa.net/WSoccerReunion
Green Adjusting to New SurroundingsWrestling10/20/17A transfer from Boise State, which dropped its wrestling program last spring, Fred Green is a candidate to start at 157 pounds for Virginia.Butts' Bond With Benkert GrowingFootball10/18/17A redshirt junior from the Philadelphia area, UVA tight end Evan Butts has become one of quarterback Kurt Benkert's most reliable targets.Salt Evolving Into Pivotal PresenceMen's Basketball10/17/17A redshirt junior from New Zealand, 6-11 center Jack Salt has grown into a team leader for UVA, which has made four straight NCAA tournament appearances.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 12 Virginia Picks Up 3-1 Win At Syracuse Thursday Night
W. Soccer | 10/19/2017
Veronica Latsko hit the game-winner on Thursday night as No. 12 Virginia went on the road and...
No. 12 Virginia Travels To Syracuse For Thursday Contest
W. Soccer | 10/18/2017
The No. 12 Virginia women's soccer team returns to the road in ACC play on Thursday, taking on...
No. 14 Virginia Plays Clemson To Scoreless Draw
W. Soccer | 10/14/2017
The No. 14 Virginia women's soccer team battled through overtime to a scoreless draw with Clemson...
No. 14 Virginia Closes Home Stand With Clemson Saturday
W. Soccer | 10/13/2017
The No. 14 Virginia women's soccer team closes a three-match home stand against Clemson at 7 p.m....
GET TO KNOW: Zoe Morse
W. Soccer | 10/12/2017
Get to know more about sophomore midfielder Zoe Morse of the Virginia women's soccer team as the ...
Latsko's Golden Goal Lifts No. 13 Virginia Past Louisville
W. Soccer | 10/8/2017
Senior forward Veronica Latsko hit a golden goal in the 99th minute to lift No. 13 Virginia past ...
No. 13 Virginia Hosts Louisville Sunday At 2 p.m.
W. Soccer | 10/07/2017
The No. 13 Virginia women's soccer team continues its three-match home stand with Louisville at 2...
No. 13 Virginia Plays Notre Dame To 1-1 Draw On Thursday
W. Soccer | 10/05/2017
Veronica Latsko hit a second-half equalizer on Thursday night as No. 13 Virginia played Notre...
- Online Stores