Oct. 4, 2017
|No. 13 Virginia (7–32, 2-1-1 ACC) vs. Notre Dame (6-4-2, 2-2-0 ACC)|
|Date & Time||Oct. 5 • 7 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | Klöckner Stadium|
|Match Notes||UVA Match Notes|
|Multimedia||Live Stats | WatchESPN|
|Additional Information||Buy Home Tickets | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 13 Virginia (7-3-2, 2-1-1 ACC) women’s soccer team kicks off a three-match home stand on Thursday night, hosting Notre Dame (6-4-2, 2-2-0 ACC) in a 7 p.m. contest at Klöckner Stadium.
The contest will air on ACC Network Extra, which is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. Fans can also keep up with the action through live stats linked at VirginiaSports.com or by following the program’s official Twitter account @UVAWSoccer.
• Sophomore Taylor Ziemer leads the Hoos with four goals and four assists for 12 points
• Freshman Taryn Torres is tops on the squad with five goals, including two game-winners
• Senior Veronica Latsko is ACC Offensive Player of the Week after hat trick, two assists at Pitt
• Latsko was also named the national Player of the Week by the United Soccer Coaches
• Eleven different players have scored for UVA this season, while nine have added assists
THE SERIES WITH NOTRE DAME
• Virginia and Notre Dame have faced each other five times with UVA leading 4-1-0 all time
• The first meeting between the teams came in 1989 with the Hoos grabbing a 2-0 victory
• It’s a competitive series with that 1989 match the only one decided by more than one goal
• The Hoos are 2-1-0 vs. the Irish at home, but 1-1-0 in matches played at Klöckner Stadium
• The last meeting in Klöckner was a 2-1 overtime win by the Irish in the 2015 season
• No current member of the Cavaliers has notched either a goal or an assist against the Irish
LAST TIME VS. NOTRE DAME
• Virginia and Notre Dame met in South Bend on Oct. 9, 2016 in a 1-0 victory for the Cavaliers
• The Cavaliers picked up the win thanks to a penalty kick by Alexis Shaffer in the 60th minute
• Virginia tallied 12 shots to nine for the Irish with UVA getting three on goal to two for the Irish
• Senior goalkeeper Morgan Stearns posted the shutout with two second-half saves
• The win was the second in South Bend for the Cavaliers in the all-time series
LATSKO NAMED NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE WEEK, ACC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
• Veronica Latsko was named the United Soccer Coaches National Player of the Week Tuesday
• She was also named the ACC Offensive Player of the Week by the league office for her efforts
• The senior tallied a hat trick and added two assists to lead UVA to a 7-0 win at Pittsburgh
• Latsko’s eight points matched the single-game point record for UVA, tying Makenzy Doniak
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
• Virginia continues a three-match home stand on Sunday against the Louisville Cardinals
• The meeting with Louisville on Sunday is the fourth-ever for UVA and the Cardinals
• Virginia is 3-0-0 all-time against Louisville with this being only the second at home for UVA
• UVA will then close the home stand next Saturday against the Clemson Tigers
UPDATED BAG POLICY AT KLÖCKNER STADIUM
Put into place this fall, Virginia athletics has updated its bag policies to mirror those already in place for Scott Stadium. At Klöckner Stadium, Turf Field and Memorial Gymnasium the following procedures have been put into effect.
All guests are subject to inspection and search for prohibited items. Event staff will examine the contents of bags, jackets, pockets, or any other personal item before admitting guests to the facility. In order to expedite entrance into the facility, it is recommended that guests not bring bags to events and arrive early at the facility entrances.
• Artificial noisemakers^ - see exception below for men's and women’s soccer games at Klöckner Stadium
• Balls, Frisbees, lacrosse sticks, and similar items
• Containers (including plastic or glass bottles, cans, coolers, or flasks)
• Food and beverages
• Strollers (except umbrella strollers) - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
• Umbrellas - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
^For men's and women's soccer matches only, artificial noisemakers are allowed; however air horns, whistles, bullhorns or devices that amplify electric sound, including battery-operated devices, are prohibited.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to prohibit any item deemed hazardous or disruptive to the athletics event or the enjoyment of the event by other guests.
The above procedures are designed to provide a safe and positive experience for all fans in attendance at Virginia athletics events.
Green Adjusting to New SurroundingsWrestling10/20/17A transfer from Boise State, which dropped its wrestling program last spring, Fred Green is a candidate to start at 157 pounds for Virginia.Butts' Bond With Benkert GrowingFootball10/18/17A redshirt junior from the Philadelphia area, UVA tight end Evan Butts has become one of quarterback Kurt Benkert's most reliable targets.Salt Evolving Into Pivotal PresenceMen's Basketball10/17/17A redshirt junior from New Zealand, 6-11 center Jack Salt has grown into a team leader for UVA, which has made four straight NCAA tournament appearances.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 12 Virginia Picks Up 3-1 Win At Syracuse Thursday Night
W. Soccer | 10/19/2017
Veronica Latsko hit the game-winner on Thursday night as No. 12 Virginia went on the road and...
No. 12 Virginia Travels To Syracuse For Thursday Contest
W. Soccer | 10/18/2017
The No. 12 Virginia women's soccer team returns to the road in ACC play on Thursday, taking on...
No. 14 Virginia Plays Clemson To Scoreless Draw
W. Soccer | 10/14/2017
The No. 14 Virginia women's soccer team battled through overtime to a scoreless draw with Clemson...
No. 14 Virginia Closes Home Stand With Clemson Saturday
W. Soccer | 10/13/2017
The No. 14 Virginia women's soccer team closes a three-match home stand against Clemson at 7 p.m....
GET TO KNOW: Zoe Morse
W. Soccer | 10/12/2017
Get to know more about sophomore midfielder Zoe Morse of the Virginia women's soccer team as the ...
Latsko's Golden Goal Lifts No. 13 Virginia Past Louisville
W. Soccer | 10/8/2017
Senior forward Veronica Latsko hit a golden goal in the 99th minute to lift No. 13 Virginia past ...
No. 13 Virginia Hosts Louisville Sunday At 2 p.m.
W. Soccer | 10/07/2017
The No. 13 Virginia women's soccer team continues its three-match home stand with Louisville at 2...
No. 13 Virginia Plays Notre Dame To 1-1 Draw On Thursday
W. Soccer | 10/05/2017
Veronica Latsko hit a second-half equalizer on Thursday night as No. 13 Virginia played Notre...
- Online Stores