Oct. 4, 2017
|No. 13 Virginia (7–32, 2-1-1 ACC) vs. Notre Dame (6-4-2, 2-2-0 ACC)|
|Date & Time||Oct. 5 • 7 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | Klöckner Stadium|
|Match Notes||UVA Match Notes|
|Multimedia||Live Stats | WatchESPN|
|Additional Information||Buy Home Tickets | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 13 Virginia (7-3-2, 2-1-1 ACC) women’s soccer team kicks off a three-match home stand on Thursday night, hosting Notre Dame (6-4-2, 2-2-0 ACC) in a 7 p.m. contest at Klöckner Stadium.
The contest will air on ACC Network Extra, which is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. Fans can also keep up with the action through live stats linked at VirginiaSports.com or by following the program’s official Twitter account @UVAWSoccer.
• Sophomore Taylor Ziemer leads the Hoos with four goals and four assists for 12 points
• Freshman Taryn Torres is tops on the squad with five goals, including two game-winners
• Senior Veronica Latsko is ACC Offensive Player of the Week after hat trick, two assists at Pitt
• Latsko was also named the national Player of the Week by the United Soccer Coaches
• Eleven different players have scored for UVA this season, while nine have added assists
THE SERIES WITH NOTRE DAME
• Virginia and Notre Dame have faced each other five times with UVA leading 4-1-0 all time
• The first meeting between the teams came in 1989 with the Hoos grabbing a 2-0 victory
• It’s a competitive series with that 1989 match the only one decided by more than one goal
• The Hoos are 2-1-0 vs. the Irish at home, but 1-1-0 in matches played at Klöckner Stadium
• The last meeting in Klöckner was a 2-1 overtime win by the Irish in the 2015 season
• No current member of the Cavaliers has notched either a goal or an assist against the Irish
LAST TIME VS. NOTRE DAME
• Virginia and Notre Dame met in South Bend on Oct. 9, 2016 in a 1-0 victory for the Cavaliers
• The Cavaliers picked up the win thanks to a penalty kick by Alexis Shaffer in the 60th minute
• Virginia tallied 12 shots to nine for the Irish with UVA getting three on goal to two for the Irish
• Senior goalkeeper Morgan Stearns posted the shutout with two second-half saves
• The win was the second in South Bend for the Cavaliers in the all-time series
LATSKO NAMED NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE WEEK, ACC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
• Veronica Latsko was named the United Soccer Coaches National Player of the Week Tuesday
• She was also named the ACC Offensive Player of the Week by the league office for her efforts
• The senior tallied a hat trick and added two assists to lead UVA to a 7-0 win at Pittsburgh
• Latsko’s eight points matched the single-game point record for UVA, tying Makenzy Doniak
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
• Virginia continues a three-match home stand on Sunday against the Louisville Cardinals
• The meeting with Louisville on Sunday is the fourth-ever for UVA and the Cardinals
• Virginia is 3-0-0 all-time against Louisville with this being only the second at home for UVA
• UVA will then close the home stand next Saturday against the Clemson Tigers
UPDATED BAG POLICY AT KLÖCKNER STADIUM
Put into place this fall, Virginia athletics has updated its bag policies to mirror those already in place for Scott Stadium. At Klöckner Stadium, Turf Field and Memorial Gymnasium the following procedures have been put into effect.
All guests are subject to inspection and search for prohibited items. Event staff will examine the contents of bags, jackets, pockets, or any other personal item before admitting guests to the facility. In order to expedite entrance into the facility, it is recommended that guests not bring bags to events and arrive early at the facility entrances.
• Artificial noisemakers^ - see exception below for men's and women’s soccer games at Klöckner Stadium
• Balls, Frisbees, lacrosse sticks, and similar items
• Containers (including plastic or glass bottles, cans, coolers, or flasks)
• Food and beverages
• Strollers (except umbrella strollers) - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
• Umbrellas - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
^For men's and women's soccer matches only, artificial noisemakers are allowed; however air horns, whistles, bullhorns or devices that amplify electric sound, including battery-operated devices, are prohibited.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to prohibit any item deemed hazardous or disruptive to the athletics event or the enjoyment of the event by other guests.
The above procedures are designed to provide a safe and positive experience for all fans in attendance at Virginia athletics events.
Diakite's Impact Growing for CavaliersMen's Basketball12/15/17Redshirt sophomore Mamadi Diakite has been a positive presence around the basket for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts Davidson on Saturday afternoon at JPJ.Welsh Connection Adds to Bowl StorylinesFootball12/14/17Virginia (6-6) meets Navy (6-6) in the Military Bowl, Dec. 28 in Annapolis, Md. George Welsh is a former head coach of each team.Cooper Thriving Under New StaffSwimming & Diving12/12/17A senior from Atlanta and one of the team's captains, Caitlin Cooper set the UVA women's record in the 50-yard freestyle early this month in Athens, Georgia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: UVA Soccer Expects Continued Success in 2018
W. Soccer | 11/30/2017
UVA's soccer teams, whose seasons ended with NCAA tournament losses this month, are looking to...
Virginia Trio Named All-Region By United Soccer Coaches
W. Soccer | 11/28/2017
Three members of the Virginia women's soccer team were recognized for athletic achievement with...
No. 12 Virginia Falls 2-1 At No. 4 UCLA In Sweet 16 Matchup
W. Soccer | 11/20/2017
The No. 12 Virginia women's soccer team fell to No. 4 UCLA by a score of 2-1 on a late goal in...
No. 12 Virginia Advances With 3-0 Win Over No. 11 Pepperdine
W. Soccer | 11/17/2017
A trio of Cavaliers scored on Friday night as No. 12 Virginia advanced in the NCAA Tournament...
Virginia Faces Pepperdine In NCAA Second Round Friday
W. Soccer | 11/16/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team seeks a berth in the NCAA Tournament Round of 16 when it takes...
Jeff White: Torres Makes Most of Learning Opportunity
W. Soccer | 11/15/2017
Freshman Taryn Torres has scored a team-high eight goals for Virginia, which meets Pepperdine in ...
Virginia Downs Saint Francis 2-0 In NCAA Opening Round
W. Soccer | 11/11/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team picked up a 2-0 win over Saint Francis on Saturday night to...
Virginia Hosts Saint Francis In NCAA First-Round Match Saturday
W. Soccer | 11/10/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team opens NCAA Tournament play at 7 p.m. on Saturday against Saint...
- Online Stores