Nov. 10, 2017
|No. 12 Virginia (11-5-4) vs. Saint Francis (10-7-3)|
|Date & Time||Nov. 11 • 7 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | Klöckner Stadium|
|Multimedia||Live Stats | ACC Network Extra | Interactive Bracket|
|Additional Information||Buy Home Tickets | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 12 Virginia (11-5-4) women’s soccer team, one of four No. 3 seeds in the NCAA Tournament, begins its quest for the College Cup against Saint Francis (Pa.) (10-7-3) in a 7 p.m. match on Saturday at Klöckner Stadium.
The contest will air on ACC Network Extra, which is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. Fans can also keep up with the action through live stats linked at VirginiaSports.com or by following the program’s official Twitter account @UVAWSoccer.
• Veronica Latsko is tied for the team lead in points with 15 on six goals and three assists
• Latsko has hit the game-winning goal for the Hoos in three of the last five UVA victories
• Taryn Torres is team-leader with seven goals - 2 game winners - and an assist for 15 points
• Taylor Ziemer is third on the squad with 12 points (4 goals, 4 assists) this season
• Twelve different players have scored for UVA this season, while 10 have added assists
• Megan Reid and Ziemer are tied for the team lead in assists with four each this season
UVA IN THE NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS
• Virginia is making its 30th appearance all-time in the NCAA Tournament
• The Hoos have played in 24 consecutive NCAA Tournaments – the third longest active streak
• Virginia advanced to the College Cup three times, in 1991, 2013 and 2014
• The Cavaliers advanced to the NCAA Championship match in 2014, finishing as runners-up
• Virginia has advanced to at least the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament the past 12 seasons
THE SERIES WITH SAINT FRANCIS
• Virginia holds the lead in the all-time series with the Red Flash 1-0-0
• The only meeting came in the opening round of the 2013 NCAA Tournament
• Virginia won that meeting 5-0 in a match played at Klöckner Stadium
LAST TIME OUT FOR VIRGINIA
• The Cavaliers dropped a 1-0 contest to No. 2 Duke in the ACC Tournament semifinals
• Virginia out-shot the Blue Devils 7-to-0 in the first half and 11-to-4 for the match
• Duke got on the board with a goal in the 47th minute off a free kick from near midfield
• Of the 11 shots on goal for Virginia, six of them were on goal but saved each time
• It was the second 1-0 loss to the No. 2 ranked Blue Devils in a week for the Hoos
UPDATED BAG POLICY AT KLÖCKNER STADIUM
Put into place this fall, Virginia athletics has updated its bag policies to mirror those already in place for Scott Stadium. At Klöckner Stadium, Turf Field and Memorial Gymnasium the following procedures have been put into effect.
All guests are subject to inspection and search for prohibited items. Event staff will examine the contents of bags, jackets, pockets, or any other personal item before admitting guests to the facility. In order to expedite entrance into the facility, it is recommended that guests not bring bags to events and arrive early at the facility entrances.
• Artificial noisemakers^ - see exception below for men's and women’s soccer games at Klöckner Stadium
• Balls, Frisbees, lacrosse sticks, and similar items
• Containers (including plastic or glass bottles, cans, coolers, or flasks)
• Food and beverages
• Strollers (except umbrella strollers) - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
• Umbrellas - prohibited at Scott Stadium only
^For men's and women's soccer matches only, artificial noisemakers are allowed; however air horns, whistles, bullhorns or devices that amplify electric sound, including battery-operated devices, are prohibited.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to prohibit any item deemed hazardous or disruptive to the athletics event or the enjoyment of the event by other guests.
The above procedures are designed to provide a safe and positive experience for all fans in attendance at Virginia athletics events.
1992-93 Cavaliers Step Back Into SpotlightWomen's Basketball1/20/18The 1992-93 Virginia women's basketball team will be honored Sunday at John Paul Jones Arena as part of National Girls and Women in Sports Day.'Hoos Make Themselves at Home in AtlantaMen's Basketball1/19/18No. 2 Virginia, which plays Sunday at Wake Forest, stretched its winning streak to nine games with a victory over Georgia Tech in Atlanta on Thursday night.Tyson Finds Perfect Fit at UVAWomen's Squash1/18/18Annie Tyson, who also starred in lacrosse in high school, is one of the leaders of the UVA women's squash team.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Veronica Latsko Selected By Houston Dash In NWSL Draft
W. Soccer | 1/18/2018
Senior forward Veronica Latsko was selected with the 28th overall pick by the Houston Dash in the...
Cavalier Trio Named To U.S. U-20 Women's National Team
W. Soccer | 1/10/2018
Three members of the Virginia women's soccer team have been named to the U.S. Under-20 Women's...
Ivory, Torres Named To Top Drawer Soccer Freshman Best XI Team
W. Soccer | 12/18/2017
Virginia freshmen Laurel Ivory and Taryn Torres were named to the Freshman Best XI team by Top...
Jeff White: UVA Soccer Expects Continued Success in 2018
W. Soccer | 11/30/2017
UVA's soccer teams, whose seasons ended with NCAA tournament losses this month, are looking to...
Virginia Trio Named All-Region By United Soccer Coaches
W. Soccer | 11/28/2017
Three members of the Virginia women's soccer team were recognized for athletic achievement with...
No. 12 Virginia Falls 2-1 At No. 4 UCLA In Sweet 16 Matchup
W. Soccer | 11/20/2017
The No. 12 Virginia women's soccer team fell to No. 4 UCLA by a score of 2-1 on a late goal in...
No. 12 Virginia Advances With 3-0 Win Over No. 11 Pepperdine
W. Soccer | 11/17/2017
A trio of Cavaliers scored on Friday night as No. 12 Virginia advanced in the NCAA Tournament...
Virginia Faces Pepperdine In NCAA Second Round Friday
W. Soccer | 11/16/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team seeks a berth in the NCAA Tournament Round of 16 when it takes...
- Online Stores