Nov. 16, 2017
|No. 12 Virginia (12-5-4) vs. Pepperdine (15-2-3)|
|Date & Time||Nov. 17 • 8 p.m.|
|Location||Los Angeles, Calif. | Drake Stadium|
|Multimedia||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Match Notes||UVA Match Notes|
|Additional Information||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
LOS ANGELES – The No. 12 Virginia (12-5-4) women’s soccer team, one of four No. 3 seeds in the NCAA Tournament, faces Pepperdine (15-2-3) in the second-round of the NCAA Tournament at 8 p.m. ET. The match is being played at Drake Stadium and hosted by No. 2 seed UCLA.
Fans can follow the action live through live stats and a live video stream linked at VirginiaSports.com or by following the action through the program’s official Twitter account @UVAWSoccer.
• Veronica Latsko is tied for the team lead in points with 17 on seven goals and three assists
• Taryn Torres is team-leader with eight goals - 2 game winners - and an assist for 17 points
• Taylor Ziemer is third on the squad with 13 points (4 goals, 5 assists) this season
• Twelve different players have scored for UVA this season, while 10 have added assists
• Ziemer and Megan Reid are the team leaders in assists with five and four, respectively
THE SERIES WITH PEPPERDINE
• Virginia holds the lead in the all-time series with the Pepperdine Waves 1-0-1
• The teams have met twice during a home-and-home series played in 2015 and 2016
• Virginia and Pepperdine played to a 2-2 draw in the first meeting in Malibu in 2015
• The Hoos won the second meeting 2-0 in Charlottesville in 2016 over the then No. 25 Waves
UVA IN THE NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS
• Virginia is making its 30th appearance all-time in the NCAA Tournament
• The Hoos have played in 24 consecutive NCAA Tournaments – the third longest active streak
• Virginia advanced to the College Cup three times, in 1991, 2013 and 2014
• The Cavaliers advanced to the NCAA Championship match in 2014, finishing as runners-up
• Virginia has advanced to at least the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament the past 12 seasons
• Virginia holds a 41-6-25 record all-time in the NCAA Tournament
A DEEPER LOOK AT VIRGINIA IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT
• Virginia has made 30 total appearances in the NCAA Tournament, including 24 consecutive
• The 24 consecutive berths is the third longest active streak behind UNC and Notre Dame
• Virginia holds a 41-25-6 record in matches played in the NCAA Tournament all-time
• That record is impressive in the Swanson era with a 38-14-5 mark under his leadership
• The Cavaliers have out-scored foes 155-to-81 in NCAA Tournament matches
• That score margin is more pronounced under Swanson coming in at 142-to-56 all-time
LAST TIME VS. PEPPERDINE
• The Cavaliers and Waves met in Charlottesville during the 2016 season, a 2-0 victory for UVA
• UVA was ranked No. 3 at the time of the match, while Pepperdine was ranked No. 25
• It was the sixth shutout of the season as Morgan Stearns posted the clean sheet in the victory
• Morgan Reuther scored in the 37th minute off passes from Meghan McCool and Meghan Cox
• Then freshman Alissa Gorzak scored in the 54th minute off a pass from Megan Reid
LAST TIME OUT FOR VIRGINIA
• UVA advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament with a 2-0 win over Saint Francis
• Virginia out-shot the Red Flash by a 33-to-3 margin for the match
• Veronica Latsko hit the first goal in the 23rd minute of play off a pass from Taylor Ziemer
• UVA extended the lead in the 56th minute when Torres hit her team-leading eighth goal
• UVA posted a shutout for the ninth time on the year, the eighth solo shutout for Laurel Ivory
Cooper Thriving Under New StaffSwimming & Diving12/12/17A senior from Atlanta and one of the team's captains, Caitlin Cooper set the UVA women's record in the 50-yard freestyle early this month in Athens, Georgia.Hazzard Aiming to Uphold Family TraditionTrack & Field, Cross Country12/11/17A freshman from Long Island, New York, Halle Hazzard is the younger sister of Payton Hazzard, who was an All-America sprinter for the Cavaliers.UVA's Campbell Winners Share Special BondFootball12/6/17UVA is the only ACC school with multiple winners of the prestigious Campbell Trophy: Tom Burns in 1993 and Micah Kiser this year.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: UVA Soccer Expects Continued Success in 2018
W. Soccer | 11/30/2017
UVA's soccer teams, whose seasons ended with NCAA tournament losses this month, are looking to...
Virginia Trio Named All-Region By United Soccer Coaches
W. Soccer | 11/28/2017
Three members of the Virginia women's soccer team were recognized for athletic achievement with...
No. 12 Virginia Falls 2-1 At No. 4 UCLA In Sweet 16 Matchup
W. Soccer | 11/20/2017
The No. 12 Virginia women's soccer team fell to No. 4 UCLA by a score of 2-1 on a late goal in...
No. 12 Virginia Advances With 3-0 Win Over No. 11 Pepperdine
W. Soccer | 11/17/2017
A trio of Cavaliers scored on Friday night as No. 12 Virginia advanced in the NCAA Tournament...
Virginia Faces Pepperdine In NCAA Second Round Friday
W. Soccer | 11/16/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team seeks a berth in the NCAA Tournament Round of 16 when it takes...
Jeff White: Torres Makes Most of Learning Opportunity
W. Soccer | 11/15/2017
Freshman Taryn Torres has scored a team-high eight goals for Virginia, which meets Pepperdine in ...
Virginia Downs Saint Francis 2-0 In NCAA Opening Round
W. Soccer | 11/11/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team picked up a 2-0 win over Saint Francis on Saturday night to...
Virginia Hosts Saint Francis In NCAA First-Round Match Saturday
W. Soccer | 11/10/2017
The Virginia women's soccer team opens NCAA Tournament play at 7 p.m. on Saturday against Saint...
- Online Stores