Members of the Virginia softball team - both student-athletes and coaches - will be revealing 20 random facts about themselves to VirginiaSports.com each weekday leading up to the team's season-opener on Saturday, Feb. 13th at the Elon Tournament in Elon, N.C. Up next is sophomore Kennedy Byxbee, a new addition to the UVa roster after spending her first year of college at Colorado. She hails from Paradise Valley, Ariz.
1. My parents were originally going to name me Charley, after my dad, but changed it to Kennedy last minute.
2. Growing up, my favorite person in the entire world was Michael Jordan, and in order to get my entire 3rd grade class to come to my birthday party I told them all he was going to be there.
3. I knocked my two front teeth out when I was in preschool and had to get stitches in my gums twice! My permanent teeth didn't grow back until 3 years later.
4. Being born and raised in Arizona, it is only appropriate that I'm utterly obsessed with Mexican food. Chicken enchiladas are my all-time favorite.
5. I've had an open obsession with Elvis since I was 3 years old and own the entire Elvis DVD collection. Girl Happy is one of my FAVORITE movies.
6. I'm a proud auntie of two handsome boys: One, a puggle named Georgie, and two, a King Charles Cavalier named Henry.
7. I grew up playing softball with my best friend Tessa Braga and had never played a game without her until we went to separate colleges. She plays at Villanova University.
8. The only food I can make are pancakes and they're actually delicious.
9. Everyone's birthday in my family is on the 24th (dad: June 24, me: April 24, Karlyn: September 24, Kacy: January 24), except for my mom's, whose is the 27th, and her entire family is born on the 27th, except for her mom. Our family's lucky number is clearly 24.
10. My grandpa, Dick McConnell, is the all-time winningest high school basketball coach in the state of Arizona.
11. My cousin Matt McConnell plays for the Philadelphia Phillies, and my other cousin, Mickey McConnell, is the point guard of the St. Mary's basketball team.
12. I entered high school weighing 90 pounds and was 4'11. I left weighing 140, 5'10. Needless to say, I had a growth spurt!
13. My seven best friends and I all go to different Universities. (CU, DePauw, LMU, ASU, U of A, NAU, Villanova)
14. My guiltiest pleasure is a No. 1 value meal at McDonalds: Big Mac, French fries and a Coke. I used to have it at least once a week!
15. My older sisters Kacy and Karlyn are two of my biggest inspirations and supporters in the entire world, second to my parents Charlie and Kelly.
16. My mom gave me a bowl cut in the 3rd grade and I never fully recovered.
17. I played golf and volleyball during high school, and almost played college golf instead of softball.
18. I've lived in Arizona my entire life and have yet to see the Grand Canyon.
19. I have a big love for classic rock; I've seen the Rolling Stones in concert twice!
20. I spent my first year of college at the University of Colorado, which doesn't have a softball team. I missed the sport so much I realized I had to be doing what I love most; this is why I'm at University of Virginia today.
Read more Diamond Details | Kristen Hawkins | Melanie Mitchell | Alex Skinkis | Taylor Williams
Culture Change Under Way for UVA FootballFootball7/21/16Head coach Bronco Mendenhall, center Jackson Matteo and linebacker Micah Kiser represented Virginia at the ACC Football Kickoff on Thursday.Turner Embraces New Challenge at UVAMen's Lacrosse7/18/16Former UVA men's lacrosse standout Kip Turner is back at his alma mater as an assistant on new head coach Lars Tiffany's staff.Hunter Finds Comfort Zone at UVAMen's Basketball7/15/16The Virginia men's basketball team's freshman class includes De'Andre Hunter, a 6-7 forward from Philadelphia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Davis, Osherow Named To All-ACC Academic Team
Softball | 6/23/2016
Outfielder Allison Davis and pitcher Erika Osherow were recognized for academic achievement and...
Davis, Ingraham Earn VaSID Honors
Softball | 6/23/2016
Rising juniors Allison Davis and Danni Ingraham earned VaSID second team honors the organization ...
Jeff White: Hardin Eager To Take On New Challenge
Softball | 6/13/2016
Virginia's new softball coach, Joanna Hardin, went 79-34, with one NCAA tourney appearance, in...
Virginia Names Joanna Hardin Head Softball Coach
Softball | 6/10/2016
Virginia athletics director Craig Littlepage announced Friday (June 10) that Joanna Hardin, the...
Blake Miller Resigns As Virginia Softball Coach
Softball | 5/19/2016
University of Virginia director of athletics Craig Littlepage announced today that head softball ...
Allison Davis Named All-ACC Second Team
Softball | 5/12/2016
Sophomore outfielder Allison Davis earned All-ACC Second-Team honors when the league announced...
Virginia Falls In Saturday Doubleheader At Virginia Tech
Softball | 04/30/2016
Home runs proved to be the offense of the day as Virginia fell in both games of a doubleheader at...
Virginia Drops Series Opener At Virginia Tech 2-1
Softball | 04/29/2016
An unearned run proved to be the difference Friday night as Virginia fell to Virginia Tech 2-1 in...
- Online Stores