Members of the Virginia softball team - both student-athletes and coaches - will be revealing 20 random facts about themselves to VirginiaSports.com each weekday leading up to the team's season-opener on Saturday, Feb. 13th at the Elon Tournament in Elon, N.C. Up next is sophomore Kennedy Byxbee, a new addition to the UVa roster after spending her first year of college at Colorado. She hails from Paradise Valley, Ariz.
1. My parents were originally going to name me Charley, after my dad, but changed it to Kennedy last minute.
2. Growing up, my favorite person in the entire world was Michael Jordan, and in order to get my entire 3rd grade class to come to my birthday party I told them all he was going to be there.
3. I knocked my two front teeth out when I was in preschool and had to get stitches in my gums twice! My permanent teeth didn't grow back until 3 years later.
4. Being born and raised in Arizona, it is only appropriate that I'm utterly obsessed with Mexican food. Chicken enchiladas are my all-time favorite.
5. I've had an open obsession with Elvis since I was 3 years old and own the entire Elvis DVD collection. Girl Happy is one of my FAVORITE movies.
6. I'm a proud auntie of two handsome boys: One, a puggle named Georgie, and two, a King Charles Cavalier named Henry.
7. I grew up playing softball with my best friend Tessa Braga and had never played a game without her until we went to separate colleges. She plays at Villanova University.
8. The only food I can make are pancakes and they're actually delicious.
9. Everyone's birthday in my family is on the 24th (dad: June 24, me: April 24, Karlyn: September 24, Kacy: January 24), except for my mom's, whose is the 27th, and her entire family is born on the 27th, except for her mom. Our family's lucky number is clearly 24.
10. My grandpa, Dick McConnell, is the all-time winningest high school basketball coach in the state of Arizona.
11. My cousin Matt McConnell plays for the Philadelphia Phillies, and my other cousin, Mickey McConnell, is the point guard of the St. Mary's basketball team.
12. I entered high school weighing 90 pounds and was 4'11. I left weighing 140, 5'10. Needless to say, I had a growth spurt!
13. My seven best friends and I all go to different Universities. (CU, DePauw, LMU, ASU, U of A, NAU, Villanova)
14. My guiltiest pleasure is a No. 1 value meal at McDonalds: Big Mac, French fries and a Coke. I used to have it at least once a week!
15. My older sisters Kacy and Karlyn are two of my biggest inspirations and supporters in the entire world, second to my parents Charlie and Kelly.
16. My mom gave me a bowl cut in the 3rd grade and I never fully recovered.
17. I played golf and volleyball during high school, and almost played college golf instead of softball.
18. I've lived in Arizona my entire life and have yet to see the Grand Canyon.
19. I have a big love for classic rock; I've seen the Rolling Stones in concert twice!
20. I spent my first year of college at the University of Colorado, which doesn't have a softball team. I missed the sport so much I realized I had to be doing what I love most; this is why I'm at University of Virginia today.
Read more Diamond Details | Kristen Hawkins | Melanie Mitchell | Alex Skinkis | Taylor Williams
Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.Hall Working to Raise NBA StockMen's Basketball6/12/18By the time the NBA draft arrives on June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for nearly two-thirds of the league's 30 teams.Mueller Sets Sights on World TitleWrestling6/11/18Early this month, Jack Mueller, a rising junior at UVA, clinched a spot on the U.S. team that will compete at the U23 freestyle world championships in Romania.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Adds ACC Veteran Allyson Frei
Softball | 6/11/2018
Frei brings three years of ACC experience and a career ERA of 2.71 to the Cavaliers for 2019.
Allison Davis Named Second Team All-Region
Softball | 5/17/2018
Senior outfielder Allison Davis added NFCA All-Region accolades to cap impressive career at...
Softball Adds Pair to Incoming Class
Softball | 5/15/2018
Head coach Joanna Hardin announced the additions of Jessica Hanflink and Madi Wilson to the...
Senior Allison Davis Named All-ACC Second Team
Softball | 5/8/2018
After leading the ACC in hits during 2018, veteran Allison Davis garners All-ACC recognition.
Virginia Drops Two to End Season
Softball | 5/1/2018
The 2018 season drew to a close for Virginia, as the Cavaliers fell in both ends of a...
Virginia Closes Season at Liberty
Softball | 4/30/2018
The 2018 softball season draws to a close on Tuesday as Virginia travels to Liberty for a...
Key Hit Eludes Cavaliers in 5-1 Defeat
Softball | 04/29/2018
Virginia outhits Duke, but Cavaliers leave 10 runners aboard in 5-1 loss to close ACC play.
Big First Inning Lifts Duke Over Virginia
Softball | 04/28/2018
Savana Avilla records her first RBI at Virginia, but Duke scores six early to take game two of...
- Online Stores