Members of the Virginia softball team - both student-athletes and coaches - will be revealing 20 random facts about themselves to VirginiaSports.com each weekday leading up to the team's season-opener on Saturday, Feb. 13th at the Elon Tournament in Elon, N.C. Up next is sophomore Kennedy Byxbee, a new addition to the UVa roster after spending her first year of college at Colorado. She hails from Paradise Valley, Ariz.
1. My parents were originally going to name me Charley, after my dad, but changed it to Kennedy last minute.
2. Growing up, my favorite person in the entire world was Michael Jordan, and in order to get my entire 3rd grade class to come to my birthday party I told them all he was going to be there.
3. I knocked my two front teeth out when I was in preschool and had to get stitches in my gums twice! My permanent teeth didn't grow back until 3 years later.
4. Being born and raised in Arizona, it is only appropriate that I'm utterly obsessed with Mexican food. Chicken enchiladas are my all-time favorite.
5. I've had an open obsession with Elvis since I was 3 years old and own the entire Elvis DVD collection. Girl Happy is one of my FAVORITE movies.
6. I'm a proud auntie of two handsome boys: One, a puggle named Georgie, and two, a King Charles Cavalier named Henry.
7. I grew up playing softball with my best friend Tessa Braga and had never played a game without her until we went to separate colleges. She plays at Villanova University.
8. The only food I can make are pancakes and they're actually delicious.
9. Everyone's birthday in my family is on the 24th (dad: June 24, me: April 24, Karlyn: September 24, Kacy: January 24), except for my mom's, whose is the 27th, and her entire family is born on the 27th, except for her mom. Our family's lucky number is clearly 24.
10. My grandpa, Dick McConnell, is the all-time winningest high school basketball coach in the state of Arizona.
11. My cousin Matt McConnell plays for the Philadelphia Phillies, and my other cousin, Mickey McConnell, is the point guard of the St. Mary's basketball team.
12. I entered high school weighing 90 pounds and was 4'11. I left weighing 140, 5'10. Needless to say, I had a growth spurt!
13. My seven best friends and I all go to different Universities. (CU, DePauw, LMU, ASU, U of A, NAU, Villanova)
14. My guiltiest pleasure is a No. 1 value meal at McDonalds: Big Mac, French fries and a Coke. I used to have it at least once a week!
15. My older sisters Kacy and Karlyn are two of my biggest inspirations and supporters in the entire world, second to my parents Charlie and Kelly.
16. My mom gave me a bowl cut in the 3rd grade and I never fully recovered.
17. I played golf and volleyball during high school, and almost played college golf instead of softball.
18. I've lived in Arizona my entire life and have yet to see the Grand Canyon.
19. I have a big love for classic rock; I've seen the Rolling Stones in concert twice!
20. I spent my first year of college at the University of Colorado, which doesn't have a softball team. I missed the sport so much I realized I had to be doing what I love most; this is why I'm at University of Virginia today.
Read more Diamond Details | Kristen Hawkins | Melanie Mitchell | Alex Skinkis | Taylor Williams
Spring Football NotebookFootball4/20/18As part of the inaugural Wahoowa Weekend, spring football concludes for the Cavaliers with an open practice April 28 at Scott Stadium.Thompson Ready To Lead From FrontWomen's Basketball4/18/18The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena, where Tina Thompson was introduced as UVA's women's basketball coach.Walsh Ready to Lead 'Hoos in PostseasonMen's Golf4/18/18Healthy again after battling back problems for much of 2017, Thomas Walsh enters this weekend's ACC tournament in good form.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Comeback Falls Short in Home Finale
Softball | 4/25/2018
Virginia rallied back from a 6-2 deficit to put the tying runs in scoring position in the seventh...
Virginia Hosts JMU in Home Finale
Softball | 4/24/2018
Down to five games remaining in the season, Virginia welcomes James Madison in the final home...
Pitt Completes Sweep with Offensive Explosion
Softball | 4/22/2018
Olivia Gott launched her fourth home run of the weekend, but Pitt scores 12 to take the finale.
Virginia Falls in Walk-Off at Pitt
Softball | 4/21/2018
A pair of home runs helped Virginia rally from an early deficit, but Pittsburgh walks off with 3-...
Cavaliers Upended in Series Opener at Pittsburgh
Softball | 4/20/2018
Olivia Gott hit a pair of home runs to surpass her single-season high in 9-2 loss at Pitt.
Virginia Visits Pittsburgh in ACC Action
Softball | 4/19/2018
Virginia hits the road in the penultimate weekend of ACC play, as Cavaliers face Pittsburgh.
Georgetown's Seven-Run Fifth Downs Virginia
Softball | 04/18/2018
Georgetown scored seven times with two outs in the fifth inning to turn a one-run game into a 15-...
Virginia Opens Road Trip at Georgetown
Softball | 04/17/2018
The Cavaliers play four games on the road this week, beginning Wednesday night against the Hoyas.
- Online Stores