Feb. 22, 2018
|Virginia at UNCG Invitational|
|Date/Time|| Friday, Feb. 23 - 5 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 24 - Noon & 5 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 25 - 9 & 11:30 a.m.
|Location||Greensboro, N.C. | UNCG Softball Stadium|
|Notes||Week 3 Notes|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - In its final February weekend, Virginia (4-6) travels to the UNCG Invitational for five games on February 23-25 in Greensboro, N.C.
The Cavaliers will face Appalachian State (3-6), UNCG (7-2) and Seton Hall (4-4) in the invitational. The Hoos will face App State and UNCG twice while battling Seton Hall in a single game.
Friday vs. App State - 5 p.m.
Saturday vs. App State - Noon
Saturday vs. UNCG - 5 p.m.
Sunday vs. Seton Hall - 9 a.m.
Sunday vs. UNCG - 11:30 a.m.
- Virginia plays five games for a third-straight weekend to open the season as the Cavaliers head to the UNCG Invitational.
- The trip to Greensboro, N.C., marks the end of a 15-game road swing to open the year. The Hoos return home Wednesday (Feb. 28) to host Campbell.
- The weekend will feature a pair of rematches with UNCG after the Spartans edged Virginia, 3-2, this past weekend in Madeira Beach.
- Allison Davis (Oak Hill, Va.) continues to lead the Cavaliers at the plate, hitting .400 and launching the program's first grand slam since 2015 in the win over EMU.
- UVA pitching is looking to replicate its weekend in Madeira Beach where the Hoos posted a 1.91 ERA as a team.
- The Hoos are facing App State for the first time since 2002.
- Allison Davis continues to pace the Hoos with a .400 batting average over the first two weeks of play. Davis also hit her second career grand slam in the win over Eastern Michigan, becoming the only Hoo in this century to accomplish the feat.
- Olivia Gott (Weston, Fla.) has reached safely in all 10 games this season.
- Freshman Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) leads the ACC with three triples on the season.
- After a tough opening weekend in the circle, UVA pitchers bounced back to compile a staff ERA of 1.91 at the Madeira Beach Invitational.
- Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) set a new career high with seven strikeouts against George Mason to pick up the win.
- Erika Osherow (Darien, Conn.) threw a complete-game shutout in the victory over Eastern Michigan, her first in over a year.
- Tabby Dabney (Mechanicsville, Va.) also proved effective, holding UNCG to a pair of earned runs in five innings of work.
- Smith has proven to be a cornerstone for the Cavaliers both in the circle and at the plate to start 2018.
- The right-hander leads the team with a 2.37 ERA in the circle and fired a career-high seven strikeouts in her complete-game victory over George Mason in Madeira Beach.
- At the plate, she leads the Hoos with 12 RBIs and sits tied for second in the ACC through two weeks of play. The 12 RBIs are just five shy of her career high of 17 set last season.
- Smith is tied for the team lead with a pair of home runs, which is third in the ACC.
Virginia opens its 2018 home slate on Wednesday, Feb. 28, when the Hoos host Campbell in a 5 p.m. first pitch at The Park. Admission to all UVA softball home games will once again be free in 2018.
'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.End Comes Too Soon for No. 1 CavaliersMen's Basketball3/17/18In the NCAA tournament's first round, No. 1 seed Virginia lost 74-54 to No. 16 seed UMBC in a South Region game in Charlotte, N.C.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Wednesday Game at Towson Cancelled
Softball | 3/20/2018
Virginia's midweek trip to Towson has been cancelled due to inclement weather expected to impact ...
Cavaliers Fall in Extra Innings
Softball | 3/18/2018
Virginia lifts three home runs, but Syracuse takes the series with a 9-6, ninth-inning win.
Smith, Virginia Walk-Off Syracuse
Softball | 3/17/2018
Cavaliers rally from a pair of four-run deficits to earn first Atlantic Coast Conference win in...
Saturday Start Moved to 3:30 p.m.
Softball | 3/17/2018
Game two of the series between Virginia and Syracuse moved to 3:30 p.m. due to rain.
Errors Costly in Series-Opening Loss
Softball | 3/16/2018
Virginia commits six errors as Syracuse rides Alexa Romero's no-hitter to 12-0 win.
Virginia Hosts Syracuse in ACC Action
Softball | 3/15/2018
Cavaliers close home stand with three ACC games against Atlantic-leading Syracuse.
Wednesday Game Against Liberty Postponed
Softball | 03/12/2018
Virginia's Wednesday (March 14) game versus Liberty has been postponed due to cold temperatures...
Big Fifth Innings Sink Virginia in Doubleheader
Softball | 03/10/2018
Fifth inning struggles down Hoos as Georgia Tech rallies to sweep doubleheader, series.
- Online Stores