Feb. 22, 2018
|Virginia at UNCG Invitational|
|Date/Time|| Friday, Feb. 23 - 5 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 24 - Noon & 5 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 25 - 9 & 11:30 a.m.
|Location||Greensboro, N.C. | UNCG Softball Stadium|
|Notes||Week 3 Notes|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - In its final February weekend, Virginia (4-6) travels to the UNCG Invitational for five games on February 23-25 in Greensboro, N.C.
The Cavaliers will face Appalachian State (3-6), UNCG (7-2) and Seton Hall (4-4) in the invitational. The Hoos will face App State and UNCG twice while battling Seton Hall in a single game.
Friday vs. App State - 5 p.m.
Saturday vs. App State - Noon
Saturday vs. UNCG - 5 p.m.
Sunday vs. Seton Hall - 9 a.m.
Sunday vs. UNCG - 11:30 a.m.
- Virginia plays five games for a third-straight weekend to open the season as the Cavaliers head to the UNCG Invitational.
- The trip to Greensboro, N.C., marks the end of a 15-game road swing to open the year. The Hoos return home Wednesday (Feb. 28) to host Campbell.
- The weekend will feature a pair of rematches with UNCG after the Spartans edged Virginia, 3-2, this past weekend in Madeira Beach.
- Allison Davis (Oak Hill, Va.) continues to lead the Cavaliers at the plate, hitting .400 and launching the program's first grand slam since 2015 in the win over EMU.
- UVA pitching is looking to replicate its weekend in Madeira Beach where the Hoos posted a 1.91 ERA as a team.
- The Hoos are facing App State for the first time since 2002.
- Allison Davis continues to pace the Hoos with a .400 batting average over the first two weeks of play. Davis also hit her second career grand slam in the win over Eastern Michigan, becoming the only Hoo in this century to accomplish the feat.
- Olivia Gott (Weston, Fla.) has reached safely in all 10 games this season.
- Freshman Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) leads the ACC with three triples on the season.
- After a tough opening weekend in the circle, UVA pitchers bounced back to compile a staff ERA of 1.91 at the Madeira Beach Invitational.
- Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) set a new career high with seven strikeouts against George Mason to pick up the win.
- Erika Osherow (Darien, Conn.) threw a complete-game shutout in the victory over Eastern Michigan, her first in over a year.
- Tabby Dabney (Mechanicsville, Va.) also proved effective, holding UNCG to a pair of earned runs in five innings of work.
- Smith has proven to be a cornerstone for the Cavaliers both in the circle and at the plate to start 2018.
- The right-hander leads the team with a 2.37 ERA in the circle and fired a career-high seven strikeouts in her complete-game victory over George Mason in Madeira Beach.
- At the plate, she leads the Hoos with 12 RBIs and sits tied for second in the ACC through two weeks of play. The 12 RBIs are just five shy of her career high of 17 set last season.
- Smith is tied for the team lead with a pair of home runs, which is third in the ACC.
Virginia opens its 2018 home slate on Wednesday, Feb. 28, when the Hoos host Campbell in a 5 p.m. first pitch at The Park. Admission to all UVA softball home games will once again be free in 2018.
Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.Hall Working to Raise NBA StockMen's Basketball6/12/18By the time the NBA draft arrives on June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for nearly two-thirds of the league's 30 teams.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Adds ACC Veteran Allyson Frei
Softball | 6/11/2018
Frei brings three years of ACC experience and a career ERA of 2.71 to the Cavaliers for 2019.
Allison Davis Named Second Team All-Region
Softball | 5/17/2018
Senior outfielder Allison Davis added NFCA All-Region accolades to cap impressive career at...
Softball Adds Pair to Incoming Class
Softball | 5/15/2018
Head coach Joanna Hardin announced the additions of Jessica Hanflink and Madi Wilson to the...
Senior Allison Davis Named All-ACC Second Team
Softball | 5/8/2018
After leading the ACC in hits during 2018, veteran Allison Davis garners All-ACC recognition.
Virginia Drops Two to End Season
Softball | 5/1/2018
The 2018 season drew to a close for Virginia, as the Cavaliers fell in both ends of a...
Virginia Closes Season at Liberty
Softball | 4/30/2018
The 2018 softball season draws to a close on Tuesday as Virginia travels to Liberty for a...
Key Hit Eludes Cavaliers in 5-1 Defeat
Softball | 04/29/2018
Virginia outhits Duke, but Cavaliers leave 10 runners aboard in 5-1 loss to close ACC play.
Big First Inning Lifts Duke Over Virginia
Softball | 04/28/2018
Savana Avilla records her first RBI at Virginia, but Duke scores six early to take game two of...
- Online Stores