Feb. 27, 2018
|Campbell (7-8) at Virginia (6-9)|
|Date/Time||Wednesday, February 28, 5 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | The Park|
|Additional Information||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Notes|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - After starting the season with 15-consecutive games on the road, Virginia (6-9) hosts Campbell (7-8) in the home opener at The Park on Wednesday (Feb. 28). First pitch is slated for 5 p.m. between the Cavaliers and Camels.
Admission to all Virginia softball home games is free in 2018. Live stats will also be available through links on VirginiaSports.com.
Virginia and Campbell are meeting for the 20th time on Wednesday night, with the Hoos holding a 13-6 edge in the all-time series. The Cavaliers are 6-1 against the Camels in Charlottesville, including a 4-1 mark at The Park.
Campbell has won each of the last four meetings in the series, dating back to 2005. The two programs last met on Feb. 22, 2015, in the Citrus Classic in Orlando, Fla.
- The Hoos are looking to snap a three-game skid to end the weekend after winning the first two games of the UNCG Invitational.
- Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) caught fire over the weekend, hitting .429 to raise her season average by nearly .100 points.
- The Cavaliers are 24-14 all-time in home openers and are 247-188 all-time at The Park (1995).
- This is the first time the Hoos have opened at home against a non-ACC opponent since the 2012 season, a 9-2 win over Ohio.
- Virginia has won four-straight games at The Park, including a series victory over Georgia Tech and wins over Georgetown and George Washington to close 2017.
- Virginia opened the UNCG Invitational with back-to-back wins over App State.
- Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) tossed a complete game, her second consecutive, in the 2-1 Saturday win over the Mountaineers.
- In the final three games of the weekend, the Hoos suffered a pair of shutouts at the hands of UNCG and dropped a 9-7 slugfest to Seton Hall.
- Freshman Haley Busby went 6-for-14 on the weekend with her first home run and a pair of RBI.
- The pivotal hit proved elusive as the Cavaliers finished the weekend 6-for-36 with runners in scoring position.
- The Camels are off to a 7-8 start, going 2-3 over the past weekend at their Camel Stampede.
- Campbell played a pair of contests against ACC-foe Georgia Tech, falling 6-2 and 8-0.
- Rachel McCollum leads the Camels with a .375 average at the plate and 20 RBI on the year.
- Megan Richards has been the top option in the circle with a 4-3 record and 2.93 ERA in 43 innings.
Virginia travels to Washington, D.C., for the District Classic hosted by Georgetown on Saturday and Sunday. The Cavaliers will face Columbia and UMBC on Saturday before taking on Howard and Iona on Sunday.
Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.Hall Working to Raise NBA StockMen's Basketball6/12/18By the time the NBA draft arrives on June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for nearly two-thirds of the league's 30 teams.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Adds ACC Veteran Allyson Frei
Softball | 6/11/2018
Frei brings three years of ACC experience and a career ERA of 2.71 to the Cavaliers for 2019.
Allison Davis Named Second Team All-Region
Softball | 5/17/2018
Senior outfielder Allison Davis added NFCA All-Region accolades to cap impressive career at...
Softball Adds Pair to Incoming Class
Softball | 5/15/2018
Head coach Joanna Hardin announced the additions of Jessica Hanflink and Madi Wilson to the...
Senior Allison Davis Named All-ACC Second Team
Softball | 5/8/2018
After leading the ACC in hits during 2018, veteran Allison Davis garners All-ACC recognition.
Virginia Drops Two to End Season
Softball | 5/1/2018
The 2018 season drew to a close for Virginia, as the Cavaliers fell in both ends of a...
Virginia Closes Season at Liberty
Softball | 4/30/2018
The 2018 softball season draws to a close on Tuesday as Virginia travels to Liberty for a...
Key Hit Eludes Cavaliers in 5-1 Defeat
Softball | 04/29/2018
Virginia outhits Duke, but Cavaliers leave 10 runners aboard in 5-1 loss to close ACC play.
Big First Inning Lifts Duke Over Virginia
Softball | 04/28/2018
Savana Avilla records her first RBI at Virginia, but Duke scores six early to take game two of...
- Online Stores