Feb. 27, 2018
|Campbell (7-8) at Virginia (6-9)|
|Date/Time||Wednesday, February 28, 5 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | The Park|
|Additional Information||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Notes|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - After starting the season with 15-consecutive games on the road, Virginia (6-9) hosts Campbell (7-8) in the home opener at The Park on Wednesday (Feb. 28). First pitch is slated for 5 p.m. between the Cavaliers and Camels.
Admission to all Virginia softball home games is free in 2018. Live stats will also be available through links on VirginiaSports.com.
Virginia and Campbell are meeting for the 20th time on Wednesday night, with the Hoos holding a 13-6 edge in the all-time series. The Cavaliers are 6-1 against the Camels in Charlottesville, including a 4-1 mark at The Park.
Campbell has won each of the last four meetings in the series, dating back to 2005. The two programs last met on Feb. 22, 2015, in the Citrus Classic in Orlando, Fla.
- The Hoos are looking to snap a three-game skid to end the weekend after winning the first two games of the UNCG Invitational.
- Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) caught fire over the weekend, hitting .429 to raise her season average by nearly .100 points.
- The Cavaliers are 24-14 all-time in home openers and are 247-188 all-time at The Park (1995).
- This is the first time the Hoos have opened at home against a non-ACC opponent since the 2012 season, a 9-2 win over Ohio.
- Virginia has won four-straight games at The Park, including a series victory over Georgia Tech and wins over Georgetown and George Washington to close 2017.
- Virginia opened the UNCG Invitational with back-to-back wins over App State.
- Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) tossed a complete game, her second consecutive, in the 2-1 Saturday win over the Mountaineers.
- In the final three games of the weekend, the Hoos suffered a pair of shutouts at the hands of UNCG and dropped a 9-7 slugfest to Seton Hall.
- Freshman Haley Busby went 6-for-14 on the weekend with her first home run and a pair of RBI.
- The pivotal hit proved elusive as the Cavaliers finished the weekend 6-for-36 with runners in scoring position.
- The Camels are off to a 7-8 start, going 2-3 over the past weekend at their Camel Stampede.
- Campbell played a pair of contests against ACC-foe Georgia Tech, falling 6-2 and 8-0.
- Rachel McCollum leads the Camels with a .375 average at the plate and 20 RBI on the year.
- Megan Richards has been the top option in the circle with a 4-3 record and 2.93 ERA in 43 innings.
Virginia travels to Washington, D.C., for the District Classic hosted by Georgetown on Saturday and Sunday. The Cavaliers will face Columbia and UMBC on Saturday before taking on Howard and Iona on Sunday.
'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.End Comes Too Soon for No. 1 CavaliersMen's Basketball3/17/18In the NCAA tournament's first round, No. 1 seed Virginia lost 74-54 to No. 16 seed UMBC in a South Region game in Charlotte, N.C.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Wednesday Game at Towson Cancelled
Softball | 3/20/2018
Virginia's midweek trip to Towson has been cancelled due to inclement weather expected to impact ...
Cavaliers Fall in Extra Innings
Softball | 3/18/2018
Virginia lifts three home runs, but Syracuse takes the series with a 9-6, ninth-inning win.
Smith, Virginia Walk-Off Syracuse
Softball | 3/17/2018
Cavaliers rally from a pair of four-run deficits to earn first Atlantic Coast Conference win in...
Saturday Start Moved to 3:30 p.m.
Softball | 3/17/2018
Game two of the series between Virginia and Syracuse moved to 3:30 p.m. due to rain.
Errors Costly in Series-Opening Loss
Softball | 3/16/2018
Virginia commits six errors as Syracuse rides Alexa Romero's no-hitter to 12-0 win.
Virginia Hosts Syracuse in ACC Action
Softball | 3/15/2018
Cavaliers close home stand with three ACC games against Atlantic-leading Syracuse.
Wednesday Game Against Liberty Postponed
Softball | 03/12/2018
Virginia's Wednesday (March 14) game versus Liberty has been postponed due to cold temperatures...
Big Fifth Innings Sink Virginia in Doubleheader
Softball | 03/10/2018
Fifth inning struggles down Hoos as Georgia Tech rallies to sweep doubleheader, series.
- Online Stores