March 2, 2018
|Virginia at District Classic|
|Date/Time|| March 3 - 10 a.m./12:30 p.m.
March 4 - 10 a.m./12:30 p.m.
|Notes||District Classic Notes|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – In its final non-conference tournament, Virginia (6-10) travels to Washington, D.C., for the District Classic hosted by Georgetown.
The Cavaliers will take on Columbia (0-5) and UMBC (1-9) on Saturday (March 3) before facing Howard (2-12) and Iona (1-4) on Sunday (March 4). The pair of Sunday contests also marks the first-ever meetings with Howard and Iona.
Live stats for all four games are available on VirginiaSports.com.
Saturday vs. Columbia – 10 a.m.
Saturday vs. UMBC – 12:30 p.m.
Sunday vs. Howard – 10 a.m.
Sunday vs. Iona – 12:30 p.m.
- The Hoos are looking to bounce back from a string of four-consecutive losses.
- Virginia faces a pair of first-time foes in Howard and Iona at the Classic. The Hoos are 2-0 all-time against Columbia and 11-1 against UMBC.
- Saturday’s opening game with Columbia features a sibling rivalry, as Virginia catcher Olivia Gott (Weston, Fla.) faces older sister Madison, the Columbia shortstop.
- The tournament continues a stretch where 21-of-22 games to open the season are played away from home for Virginia.
- The Cavaliers continue on to face Hampton on the road Tuesday, before returning to The Park next weekend to host Georgia Tech in the ACC opener.
- Gott leads the Cavaliers with a .375 average at the plate through 16 games this season.
- Allison Davis (Oak Hill, Va.) hit her team-leading third home run in the first inning against Campbell on Wednesday night. The solo shot gives Davis 21 in her career, one shy of equaling eighth in the all-time record books.
- Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) has hit in three-straight games and five of the last six, raising her average nearly .100 points in the stretch. The freshman has reached safely in each of the last six games.
- The Cavaliers have played three consecutive error-free games and are fielding at a .982 clip over the past week.
- Virginia is looking to reverse fortunes in the circle, as the Hoos have a 7.57 team ERA in the past six contests.
- The Hoos are looking to find the big hit with runners aboard as Virginia hits just .144 (16-for-111) with runners in scoring position.
- Virginia has neither blown a lead nor come from behind this season.
- Gott has five hits and a pair of RBI over the past three games for the Cavaliers. The junior is now reaching base at a .490 clip on the season.
- Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) has 15 RBI on the season, just two short of her career high. The junior is second in the ACC in the category.
- Busby’s three triples continue to sit atop the ACC leaderboard.
Virginia heads to Hampton for a Tuesday (March 6) doubleheader before returning home to open ACC play against Georgia Tech on Friday (March 9).
'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.End Comes Too Soon for No. 1 CavaliersMen's Basketball3/17/18In the NCAA tournament's first round, No. 1 seed Virginia lost 74-54 to No. 16 seed UMBC in a South Region game in Charlotte, N.C.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Wednesday Game at Towson Cancelled
Softball | 3/20/2018
Virginia's midweek trip to Towson has been cancelled due to inclement weather expected to impact ...
Cavaliers Fall in Extra Innings
Softball | 3/18/2018
Virginia lifts three home runs, but Syracuse takes the series with a 9-6, ninth-inning win.
Smith, Virginia Walk-Off Syracuse
Softball | 3/17/2018
Cavaliers rally from a pair of four-run deficits to earn first Atlantic Coast Conference win in...
Saturday Start Moved to 3:30 p.m.
Softball | 3/17/2018
Game two of the series between Virginia and Syracuse moved to 3:30 p.m. due to rain.
Errors Costly in Series-Opening Loss
Softball | 3/16/2018
Virginia commits six errors as Syracuse rides Alexa Romero's no-hitter to 12-0 win.
Virginia Hosts Syracuse in ACC Action
Softball | 3/15/2018
Cavaliers close home stand with three ACC games against Atlantic-leading Syracuse.
Wednesday Game Against Liberty Postponed
Softball | 03/12/2018
Virginia's Wednesday (March 14) game versus Liberty has been postponed due to cold temperatures...
Big Fifth Innings Sink Virginia in Doubleheader
Softball | 03/10/2018
Fifth inning struggles down Hoos as Georgia Tech rallies to sweep doubleheader, series.
- Online Stores