March 2, 2018
|Virginia at District Classic|
|Date/Time|| March 3 - 10 a.m./12:30 p.m.
March 4 - 10 a.m./12:30 p.m.
|Notes||District Classic Notes|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – In its final non-conference tournament, Virginia (6-10) travels to Washington, D.C., for the District Classic hosted by Georgetown.
The Cavaliers will take on Columbia (0-5) and UMBC (1-9) on Saturday (March 3) before facing Howard (2-12) and Iona (1-4) on Sunday (March 4). The pair of Sunday contests also marks the first-ever meetings with Howard and Iona.
Live stats for all four games are available on VirginiaSports.com.
Saturday vs. Columbia – 10 a.m.
Saturday vs. UMBC – 12:30 p.m.
Sunday vs. Howard – 10 a.m.
Sunday vs. Iona – 12:30 p.m.
- The Hoos are looking to bounce back from a string of four-consecutive losses.
- Virginia faces a pair of first-time foes in Howard and Iona at the Classic. The Hoos are 2-0 all-time against Columbia and 11-1 against UMBC.
- Saturday’s opening game with Columbia features a sibling rivalry, as Virginia catcher Olivia Gott (Weston, Fla.) faces older sister Madison, the Columbia shortstop.
- The tournament continues a stretch where 21-of-22 games to open the season are played away from home for Virginia.
- The Cavaliers continue on to face Hampton on the road Tuesday, before returning to The Park next weekend to host Georgia Tech in the ACC opener.
- Gott leads the Cavaliers with a .375 average at the plate through 16 games this season.
- Allison Davis (Oak Hill, Va.) hit her team-leading third home run in the first inning against Campbell on Wednesday night. The solo shot gives Davis 21 in her career, one shy of equaling eighth in the all-time record books.
- Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) has hit in three-straight games and five of the last six, raising her average nearly .100 points in the stretch. The freshman has reached safely in each of the last six games.
- The Cavaliers have played three consecutive error-free games and are fielding at a .982 clip over the past week.
- Virginia is looking to reverse fortunes in the circle, as the Hoos have a 7.57 team ERA in the past six contests.
- The Hoos are looking to find the big hit with runners aboard as Virginia hits just .144 (16-for-111) with runners in scoring position.
- Virginia has neither blown a lead nor come from behind this season.
- Gott has five hits and a pair of RBI over the past three games for the Cavaliers. The junior is now reaching base at a .490 clip on the season.
- Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) has 15 RBI on the season, just two short of her career high. The junior is second in the ACC in the category.
- Busby’s three triples continue to sit atop the ACC leaderboard.
Virginia heads to Hampton for a Tuesday (March 6) doubleheader before returning home to open ACC play against Georgia Tech on Friday (March 9).
Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.Hall Working to Raise NBA StockMen's Basketball6/12/18By the time the NBA draft arrives on June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for nearly two-thirds of the league's 30 teams.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Adds ACC Veteran Allyson Frei
Softball | 6/11/2018
Frei brings three years of ACC experience and a career ERA of 2.71 to the Cavaliers for 2019.
Allison Davis Named Second Team All-Region
Softball | 5/17/2018
Senior outfielder Allison Davis added NFCA All-Region accolades to cap impressive career at...
Softball Adds Pair to Incoming Class
Softball | 5/15/2018
Head coach Joanna Hardin announced the additions of Jessica Hanflink and Madi Wilson to the...
Senior Allison Davis Named All-ACC Second Team
Softball | 5/8/2018
After leading the ACC in hits during 2018, veteran Allison Davis garners All-ACC recognition.
Virginia Drops Two to End Season
Softball | 5/1/2018
The 2018 season drew to a close for Virginia, as the Cavaliers fell in both ends of a...
Virginia Closes Season at Liberty
Softball | 4/30/2018
The 2018 softball season draws to a close on Tuesday as Virginia travels to Liberty for a...
Key Hit Eludes Cavaliers in 5-1 Defeat
Softball | 04/29/2018
Virginia outhits Duke, but Cavaliers leave 10 runners aboard in 5-1 loss to close ACC play.
Big First Inning Lifts Duke Over Virginia
Softball | 04/28/2018
Savana Avilla records her first RBI at Virginia, but Duke scores six early to take game two of...
- Online Stores