March 5, 2018
|Virginia (8-12) at Hampton (5-9)|
|Date/Time||March 6 | 12 p.m. (DH)|
|Game Notes||UVA Notes|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Virginia (8-12) travels to Hampton (5-9) for a midweek doubleheader against the Pirates on Tuesday (March 6). Game one will begin at noon, one hour earlier than originally scheduled due to the chance of rain in the afternoon.
The Cavaliers are coming off a 2-2 weekend at the District Classic where they picked up a pair of run-rule victories. The road trip caps a string of 21-of-22 games away from home to start the season for the Hoos. Virginia returns home to open ACC play over the weekend, playing host to Georgia Tech at The Park.
Live stats for both games are available through links on VirginiaSports.com.
- Virginia cranked out 11 home runs in the four games, more than the Cavaliers had posted in the first 16 games combined.
- As a team, the Hoos hit .390 on the weekend while slugging at a .780 clip.
- Allison Davis led the way with a .692 average and eight RBI. She also went deep for three home runs.
- Hayley Busby also continued her hot hitting, extending her hitting streak to seven games. The freshman has reached safely in 10 straight as well.
- Virginia opens ACC play this weekend by hosting Georgia Tech at The Park.
HOOS VS. PIRATES
- Virginia and Hampton are meeting for the fourth and fifth time in Tuesday's doubleheader.
- The Cavaliers are 3-0 all-time against the Pirates.
- The two sides are meeting for the first time since 2010.
- Hampton is 5-9 on the season and coming off a 2-3 weekend at the Pirate Invitational.
- Hampton has played one other ACC foe on the season, falling 5-0 to North Carolina.
- Allison Davis hit four home runs last week and now has six on the season. She is batting .406 for the year, second in the ACC.
- Hayley Busby hit .571 over the weekend and has now hit in seven straight. Since adding a chinstrap to her helmet, Busby is hitting .469.
- Lacy Smith added her 17th RBI of the season this weekend, matching her career high at UVA.
- The Hoos launched five home runs in the victory over UMBC, matching the school record set three times before.
- Virginia notched back-to-back run-rule victories for the first time since February 11, 2016.
Virginia returns home to The Park this weekend for the first ACC series of the year, as the Cavaliers host Georgia Tech. First pitch in the series opener is set for 6 p.m. on Friday (March 9).
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Adds ACC Veteran Allyson Frei
Softball | 6/11/2018
Frei brings three years of ACC experience and a career ERA of 2.71 to the Cavaliers for 2019.
Allison Davis Named Second Team All-Region
Softball | 5/17/2018
Senior outfielder Allison Davis added NFCA All-Region accolades to cap impressive career at...
Softball Adds Pair to Incoming Class
Softball | 5/15/2018
Head coach Joanna Hardin announced the additions of Jessica Hanflink and Madi Wilson to the...
Senior Allison Davis Named All-ACC Second Team
Softball | 5/8/2018
After leading the ACC in hits during 2018, veteran Allison Davis garners All-ACC recognition.
Virginia Drops Two to End Season
Softball | 5/1/2018
The 2018 season drew to a close for Virginia, as the Cavaliers fell in both ends of a...
Virginia Closes Season at Liberty
Softball | 4/30/2018
The 2018 softball season draws to a close on Tuesday as Virginia travels to Liberty for a...
Key Hit Eludes Cavaliers in 5-1 Defeat
Softball | 04/29/2018
Virginia outhits Duke, but Cavaliers leave 10 runners aboard in 5-1 loss to close ACC play.
Big First Inning Lifts Duke Over Virginia
Softball | 04/28/2018
Savana Avilla records her first RBI at Virginia, but Duke scores six early to take game two of...
- Online Stores