March 5, 2018
|Virginia (8-12) at Hampton (5-9)|
|Date/Time||March 6 | 12 p.m. (DH)|
|Game Notes||UVA Notes|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Virginia (8-12) travels to Hampton (5-9) for a midweek doubleheader against the Pirates on Tuesday (March 6). Game one will begin at noon, one hour earlier than originally scheduled due to the chance of rain in the afternoon.
The Cavaliers are coming off a 2-2 weekend at the District Classic where they picked up a pair of run-rule victories. The road trip caps a string of 21-of-22 games away from home to start the season for the Hoos. Virginia returns home to open ACC play over the weekend, playing host to Georgia Tech at The Park.
Live stats for both games are available through links on VirginiaSports.com.
- Virginia cranked out 11 home runs in the four games, more than the Cavaliers had posted in the first 16 games combined.
- As a team, the Hoos hit .390 on the weekend while slugging at a .780 clip.
- Allison Davis led the way with a .692 average and eight RBI. She also went deep for three home runs.
- Hayley Busby also continued her hot hitting, extending her hitting streak to seven games. The freshman has reached safely in 10 straight as well.
- Virginia opens ACC play this weekend by hosting Georgia Tech at The Park.
HOOS VS. PIRATES
- Virginia and Hampton are meeting for the fourth and fifth time in Tuesday's doubleheader.
- The Cavaliers are 3-0 all-time against the Pirates.
- The two sides are meeting for the first time since 2010.
- Hampton is 5-9 on the season and coming off a 2-3 weekend at the Pirate Invitational.
- Hampton has played one other ACC foe on the season, falling 5-0 to North Carolina.
- Allison Davis hit four home runs last week and now has six on the season. She is batting .406 for the year, second in the ACC.
- Hayley Busby hit .571 over the weekend and has now hit in seven straight. Since adding a chinstrap to her helmet, Busby is hitting .469.
- Lacy Smith added her 17th RBI of the season this weekend, matching her career high at UVA.
- The Hoos launched five home runs in the victory over UMBC, matching the school record set three times before.
- Virginia notched back-to-back run-rule victories for the first time since February 11, 2016.
Virginia returns home to The Park this weekend for the first ACC series of the year, as the Cavaliers host Georgia Tech. First pitch in the series opener is set for 6 p.m. on Friday (March 9).
'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.End Comes Too Soon for No. 1 CavaliersMen's Basketball3/17/18In the NCAA tournament's first round, No. 1 seed Virginia lost 74-54 to No. 16 seed UMBC in a South Region game in Charlotte, N.C.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Boston College Series Relocated, Schedule Adjusted
Softball | 3/21/2018
Inclement weather has forced the relocation of Virginia's series at Boston College and altered...
Wednesday Game at Towson Cancelled
Softball | 3/20/2018
Virginia's midweek trip to Towson has been cancelled due to inclement weather expected to impact ...
Cavaliers Fall in Extra Innings
Softball | 3/18/2018
Virginia lifts three home runs, but Syracuse takes the series with a 9-6, ninth-inning win.
Smith, Virginia Walk-Off Syracuse
Softball | 3/17/2018
Cavaliers rally from a pair of four-run deficits to earn first Atlantic Coast Conference win in...
Saturday Start Moved to 3:30 p.m.
Softball | 3/17/2018
Game two of the series between Virginia and Syracuse moved to 3:30 p.m. due to rain.
Errors Costly in Series-Opening Loss
Softball | 3/16/2018
Virginia commits six errors as Syracuse rides Alexa Romero's no-hitter to 12-0 win.
Virginia Hosts Syracuse in ACC Action
Softball | 03/15/2018
Cavaliers close home stand with three ACC games against Atlantic-leading Syracuse.
Wednesday Game Against Liberty Postponed
Softball | 03/12/2018
Virginia's Wednesday (March 14) game versus Liberty has been postponed due to cold temperatures...
- Online Stores