March 8, 2018
|Georgia Tech at Virginia|
|Date/Time|| Friday, March 9 - 6 p.m.
Saturday, March 10 - 1 p.m.
Sunday, March 11 - Noon
|Multimedia/Game Info||- ACC Network Extra|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | The Park|
|Additional Information||Game Notes | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia (8-14) welcomes Georgia Tech (11-7) to The Park for the first Atlantic Coast Conference series of the season. First pitch in the series opener is set for 6 p.m. on Friday (March 9).
The series marks the beginning of a seven-game home stand for the Cavaliers, who face Liberty next Wednesday (March 14) before hosting Syracuse the following weekend.
Admission to all Virginia softball home games is free in 2018. In addition, concessions are available for purchase at The Park.
Friday, March 9 – 6 p.m. – Flashback Friday 70’s Edition
Saturday, March 10 – 1 p.m. – FREE Virginia beanies while supplies last
Sunday, March 11 – Noon – Kids run the bases and postgame autographs (weather permitting)
All three games of the series will be carried live on ACC Network Extra. Eileen Schmidt and Melanie Mitchell will have the call.
Links to watch all three games or follow along with live stats are available on VirginiaSports.com.
- The Cavaliers took 2-of-3 from the Yellow Jackets last season, igniting a seven-game winning streak that lifted the Hoos into the ACC Tournament.
- Allison Davis (Oak Hill, Va.) carries a historic streak into the weekend, homering in each of the last five games for Virginia. It is the longest known streak in program history.
- A series victory would be the first to open ACC play since 2012 when the Hoos swept Georgia Tech in Atlanta.
- With the addition of Duke, ACC softball will split into two divisions for the next two seasons. The winner of each division is guaranteed a top-two seed in the ACC Tournament.
- Virginia’s nine ACC wins in 2017 were its most since winning 13 in 2010.
- Virginia and Georgia Tech are meeting for the 81st time on Friday night to open the series.
- The Cavaliers and Yellow Jackets are level at 42-42 in the all-time series, but UVA has won each of the last two series against the Jackets.
- In last season’s meeting in Charlottesville, the Hoos bounced back from a 10-5 loss in the series opener to take the series with 3-2 and 4-2 victories.
- Virginia trailed 2-0 in both games it won, scoring three in the seventh in game two and four in the fifth of game three.
- ACC Co-Player of the Week Allison Davis hit .615 over the weekend and .588 in five games last week to earn the honor.
- Over the last five games, Allison Davis is batting .667 (12-for-18) with 11 RBI.
- Since adding a chinstrap to her helmet 12 games ago, Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) is hitting .400 with nine RBI.
- Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) added her 17th RBI of the season this weekend, matching her career high at UVA.
- The Hoos launched five home runs in the victory over UMBC, matching the school record set three times before.
- Virginia notched back-to-back run-rule victories for the first time since February 11, 2016.
Virginia continues its seven-game home stand by hosting Liberty on Wednesday (March 14). The Hoos will then welcome Syracuse to Charlottesville for a three-game ACC set beginning Friday (March 16).
'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.End Comes Too Soon for No. 1 CavaliersMen's Basketball3/17/18In the NCAA tournament's first round, No. 1 seed Virginia lost 74-54 to No. 16 seed UMBC in a South Region game in Charlotte, N.C.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Wednesday Game at Towson Cancelled
Softball | 3/20/2018
Virginia's midweek trip to Towson has been cancelled due to inclement weather expected to impact ...
Cavaliers Fall in Extra Innings
Softball | 3/18/2018
Virginia lifts three home runs, but Syracuse takes the series with a 9-6, ninth-inning win.
Smith, Virginia Walk-Off Syracuse
Softball | 3/17/2018
Cavaliers rally from a pair of four-run deficits to earn first Atlantic Coast Conference win in...
Saturday Start Moved to 3:30 p.m.
Softball | 3/17/2018
Game two of the series between Virginia and Syracuse moved to 3:30 p.m. due to rain.
Errors Costly in Series-Opening Loss
Softball | 3/16/2018
Virginia commits six errors as Syracuse rides Alexa Romero's no-hitter to 12-0 win.
Virginia Hosts Syracuse in ACC Action
Softball | 3/15/2018
Cavaliers close home stand with three ACC games against Atlantic-leading Syracuse.
Wednesday Game Against Liberty Postponed
Softball | 03/12/2018
Virginia's Wednesday (March 14) game versus Liberty has been postponed due to cold temperatures...
Big Fifth Innings Sink Virginia in Doubleheader
Softball | 03/10/2018
Fifth inning struggles down Hoos as Georgia Tech rallies to sweep doubleheader, series.
- Online Stores