Collins, Elbaba and Nauta serve as tri-captains for No. 7 Virginia
Cavalier senior begins competition with USA team Friday
Elbaba wins singles draw, Collins and Kelley claim doubles draw
Cavalier senior claims second prestigious national tournament this season
Cavaliers close out successful first weekend of fall tennis
UVa junior and 2014 NCAA singles champion pushes world No. 2 Simona Halep to a third set in Flushing Meadows.
Virginia's Danielle Collins wins NCAA singles champion
Women's Tennis NCAA vs. Stanford (by Matt Riley)
Women's Tennis NCAA vs. Baylor (by Matt Riley)
Women's Tennis NCAA vs. Kentucky (by Matt Riley)
2014-15 (Junior Season)• Posted a 26-6 singles record, including a 22-4 mark in dual play
• Recorded a 14-6 doubles record, including a 7-3 record with Maci Epstein
• Earned ITA All-America singles honors after earning a No. 9-16 seed at the NCAA Singles Championship
• Advanced to the NCAA singles quarterfinals and finished the championship 3-1
• Defeated UCLA's Jennifer Brady (No. 209 in WTA Rankings) in the NCAA round of 16
• Finished No. 11 in the final ITA singles rankings
• Named All-ACC First Team for the second consecutive season after posting an 12-2 dual mark in league play
• Selected to the VaSID All-State First Team
• Named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Defeated No. 68 Beatrice Gumulya (6-4, 6-1) of Clemson, No. 15 Hayley Carter (6-1, 7-5) of North Carolina and No. 53 Paige Hourigan (6-4, retired) of Georgia Tech to help the Cavaliers clinch their second consecutive ACC Championship
• Posted a 15-5 record against ranked singles opponents
• Won 16 consecutive singles matches from March 29-May 2, 2015
• Missed most of the fall collegiate season with a wrist injury
• Went 1-1 at the ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Singles Championship as a wild card participant
• Competed at the US Open and extended No. 2-seed Simona Halep to three sets, but lost 6-7(2), 6-1, 6-2 in the opening round
• Advanced to the semifinals of the inaugural American Collegiate Invitational in Flushing, N.Y.
• Ranked No. 10 in the ITA preseason singles rankings
• Recognized on the ACC Academic Honor Roll
2013-14 (Sophomore Season)
• Posted a 37-10 singles record, including a 19-5 mark in dual play
• Recorded a 21-10 doubles record, including a 15-6 record with Maci Epstein
• Earned ITA All-America singles honors after becoming the first player in school history to win the NCAA Singles championship
• Defeated No. 43 Veronica Corning (7-5, 6-2) of Northwestern, No. 18 Annet Schutting of Cal (6-3, 6-3), No. 2 Robin Anderson of UCLA (6-1, 6-4), No. 7 Hayley Carter of North Carolina (6-3, 3-6, 7-5), No. 27 Ester Goldfeld of Duke (6-3, 7-6) and No. 24 Lynn Chi of Cal (6-2, 7-5) at the NCAA Singles Championship
• Nominated for the prestigious Honda Sports Award for women's tennis
• Named ACC Championship Most Valuable Player after clinching all three doubles points with Epstein and going 2-0 in singles
• Named All-ACC First Team after posting an 11-2 dual mark in league play
• Named ACC Women's Tennis Player of the Week on March 18 and March 25
• Ranked a career-best No. 14 in the final ITA singles rankings
• Her 37 singles wins rank second on UVa's single-season wins list
• Clinched Virginia's 4-1 win over Baylor with a 6-4, 6-3 win over No. 81 Ema Burgic, sending the Cavaliers to their first NCAA quarterfinal appearance in school history
• Named ITA Atlantic Region Player to Watch
• Posted 21-5 record vs. ranked opponents
• Captured the ITA Atlantic Region singles title and advanced to the ITA National Indoor Singles Championship
• Claimed the Lauren Nikolaus singles flight at the Tribe Invitational
2012-13 (Freshman Season at Florida
• Posted a 24-8 singles record, including a 9-3 mark in dual play
• Tallied a 20-15 doubles record, including a 9-11 mark in dual action
• Reached No. 22 in the ITA singles rankings and finished the season No. 103
• Ranked No. 15 in the ITA preseason doubles rankings with partner Lauren Embree
• Finished No. 57 in the doubles rankings with Embree
• Earned the No. 8 ranking in the September 2012 ITA National Freshman/Newcomer listing
• Defeated No. 43 Lucia Batta of UNLV, 6-4, 6-2, in 2012 Riviera All-American round of 32
• Claimed Michigan Wolverine Invitational doubles championship with Olivia Janowicz
• Received the USTA's wildcard into the USTA/ITA National Indoor Championships and reached the round of 16
• Trained for six years at the Isla del Sol Country Club in St. Petersburg, Fla.
• Ranked No. 2 nationally in the 2011 and 2012 Recruiting Rankings by www.tennisrecruiting.net
• Ranked No. 1 in the state of Florida and the Southeast among G18 and under
• Winner of six Super National titles and Super National Sportsmanship Award
• Recorded three consecutive Gator Bowl championships
• Was the 2011 G18 and under National Team Championship winner representing the Florida section
• Won her first pro tournament event in Williamsburg, Va., in October 2011
•Trained in the Bollettieri Tennis program at IMG Academy from 2010-2012
• Graduated from Northeast High School (St. Petersburg, Fla.) in 2012
• Claimed the 2010 Singles 3A State Championship
• Named the 2010 Florida Dairy Farmers State Player of the Year
• Daughter of Walter and Cathy Collins
• Transferred to Virginia because of the amazing academics and athletics
• Plans to major in media studies
• Postgraduate plan is to play professional tennis and attend business school
• Enjoys winning, going to the beach, jet skiing and running
Selflessness Fuels Cavaliers' Latest TriumphMen's Basketball2/6/16Ninth-ranked Virginia totaled 17 assists in its 64-50 win over ACC rival Pittsburgh at the sold-out Petersen Events Center on Saturday afternoon.'Hoos Heading Into Hostile TerritoryMen's Basketball2/5/16At noon Saturday, in a game to be shown on the ACC Network, No. 9 Virginia (18-4, 7-3) plays Pitt (17-4, 6-3) at the Petersen Events Center.Unorthodox Move Paying Off For CollinsTrack & Field, Cross Country2/4/16Cam Collins transferred in 2014 from Hampden-Sydney College, where he played basketball, to UVA, where he competes on the track & field team.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Adds Bleser, Favero, Gullickson With Signing Class
W. Tennis | 11/17/2015
Virginia added a trio of five-star athletes with the latest signing class as head coach Mark...
Collins Falls In Consolation Quarterfinals At NIIC
W. Tennis | 11/14/2015
Senior Danielle Collins fell in the quarterfinals of the consolation round of the ITA National...
Elbaba Falls In Quarterfinals Of National Indoor...
W. Tennis | 11/13/2015
Senior Julia Elbaba advanced to the quarterfinals of singles competition at the ITA National...
Cavaliers Split Action On Day One At ITA National Indoor...
W. Tennis | 11/12/2015
Julia Elbaba advances with a straight-set victory at the ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate...
Virginia Opens Play At ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate...
W. Tennis | 11/11/2015
Four members of the Virginia women's tennis team head to New York City to compete at the...
Cavaliers Close Kitty Harrison Invitational With Wins Over Rice
W. Tennis | 11/8/2015
The Virginia women's tennis team went 4-1 in singles action Sunday against the Rice Owls at the...
Virginia Closes Day Two At Kitty Harrison Fall Invitational
W. Tennis | 11/07/2015
Virginia split a pair of matches in doubles with UNC and defeated Maryland in singles play to...
Cavaliers Complete Day One At Kitty Harrison Fall Invitational
W. Tennis | 11/06/2015
Skylar Morton picked up a win over LSU's Skylar Kuykendall on Friday as Virginia opened...
- Online Stores