March 26, 2006
A day after posting the first top ten win in school history, the Virginia women's tennis team couldn't pull a historic upset for the second consecutive day as it fell to No. 5 North Carolina 6-1 at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar's Head Sports Club. Virginia falls to 8-6 overall, 2-3 in the ACC with the loss while the Tar Heels improve to 19-3 overall, 4-1 in the ACC.
The Cavaliers got a good start in doubles as the team of Rachel DelPriore (Williamsville, N.Y.) and Douglas Wink (Greensboro, N.C.) won 8-0 over Caitlin Collins and Laura Reichert at No. 2 doubles. However, the Tar Heels won 8-6 at the No. 3 position and 8-5 at the No. 1 position to take the opening point.
In singles, North Carolina extended its lead to 3-0 with wins at No. 3 and No. 1 singles. The Cavaliers then got a win at No. 4 singles, where Lori Stern (Ojai, Calif.) defeated Austin Smith 6-4, 6-3. However, the Tar Heels took the final three matches on the courts to secure the 6-1 win.
"Overall, this was a great weekend for our team despite the loss today," said Virginia head coach Mark Guilbeau. "The team played well as we had a great effort across the board both days. Today's match was closer than the final score indicates. We had a great chance to win the doubles point, along with chances to win a few more sets in singles. Give a lot of credit to North Carolina. They played with a lot of composure, made very few mistakes, and made it difficult to break down any weaknesses. They are a very good team that is well coached. We are excited to keep progressing and look forward to next weekend's matches."
The Cavaliers will hit the road again next weekend as they visit NC State and Wake Forest.
No. 5 North Carolina 6, No. 43 Virginia 1
1) #6 Anundsen/Long (UNC) def. #15 Stern/James (UVa) 8-5
2) DelPriore/Wink (UVa) def. Collins/Reichert (UNC) 8-0
3) Smith/Markovic (UNC) def. Rales/Hammond (UVa) 8-6
1) #32 Jenna Long (UNC) def. Douglas Wink (UVa) 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
2) #58 Caitlin Collins (UNC) def. Kristen James (UVa) 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
3) #95 Sara Anundsen (UNC) def. Rachel DelPriore (UVa) 6-1, 7-6
4) Lori Stern (UVa) def. Austin Smith (UNC) 6-4, 6-3
5) Laura Reichert (UNC) def. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) 6-4, 6-3
6) Tanja Markovic (UNC) def. Amanda Rales (UVa) 6-1, 7-6