April 8, 2006
The No. 29 Virginia women's tennis team captured its tenth win of the season as it downed No. 70 Florida State 6-1 Saturday afternoon at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar's Head Sports Club. With the victory, the Cavaliers improve to 10-7 on the season and evened their conference record at 4-4.
The Cavaliers started the match strong by winning the doubles point. The No. 11 ranked team of Kristen James (Clifton, Va.) and Lori Stern (Ojai, Calif.) cruised to an 8-2 win over Whitney Eber and Nicola Slater at No. 1 doubles. The team of Caroline Hammond (Williamsburg, Va.) and Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md.) secured the opening point for Virginia with their 8-4 win over Anna Rynarzewska and Suzanna Mansour at No. 2 doubles. At No. 3 doubles, Rachel DelPriore (Williamsville, N.Y.) and Lara Alexander (London, England) completed the doubles sweep with an 8-6 win over Alina Mihailescu and Tapiwa Marobela.
In singles, the Cavaliers extended their lead to 2-0 as Hammond downed Lisa Nystrom Skold 6-3, 6-1 at No. 6 singles. Minutes later, the Cavalier advantage grew to 3-0 as Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) defeated Mansour 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 4 position. After Florida State (8-11, 1-8 ACC) recorded a win at No. 5 singles, Stern clinched the dual match for Virginia as she completed a 6-4, 7-6 with over Mihailescu at No. 4 singles. Virginia closed out the match by taking the matches at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, where DelPriore and James each won in three sets.
"It was a good effort from the team today," said Virginia head coach Mark Guilbeau. "We really feel that this is one of the biggest steps up for this team. We were challenged in many ways, especially by a strong Florida State team. We are very proud of how our team handled it."
The Cavaliers close out their 2006 home schedule Sunday as they host No. 6 Miami at the Snyder Tennis Center. Match time is 11:00 a.m. and prior to the game the team will honor the four fourth-year members of the team.
No. 29 Virginia 6, No. 70 Florida State 1
1) #11 Stern/James (UVa) def. Eber/Slater (FSU) 8-2
2) Hammond/Rales (UVa) def.Rynarzewska/Mansour (FSU) 8-4
3) DelPriore/Alexander (UVa) def. Mihailescu/Marobela (FSU) 8-6
1) Rachel DelPriore (UVa) def. Anna Rynarzewska (FSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2) #105 Kristen James (UVa) def. Nicola Slater (FSU) 7-5, 5-7, 6-4
3) Lori Stern (UVa) def. Alina Mihailescu (FSU) 6-4, 7-6
4) Lindsey Pereira (UVa) def. Suzanna Mansour (FSU) 6-3, 6-3
5) Tapiwa Marobela (FSU) def. Lara Alexander (UVa) 7-5, 6-2
6) Caroline Hammond (UVa) def. Lisa Nystrom Skold (FSU) 6-3, 6-1