April 10, 2002
College Park, Md. - The UVa women's tennis team picked up its second ACC win of the year, as they defeated Maryland, 5-2. The Cavaliers improve to 11-7 on the season, and are 2-4 in conference matches.
Henriette Willliams beat her second ranked opponent in as many matches, as she defeated No. 99 Emily Marker at No. 1 singles, 6-4, 6-3. Williams improves to 10-8 overall on the season, and is 3-3 in ACC matches this spring. She teamed in doubles with Jennifer Tuchband, to defeat Marker and Delila Causevic. Marker and Causevic were ranked No. 51 entering the match, but were beaten by Williams and Tuchband, 9-7.
Dora Bechliwanis returned to action, and defeated Emily DeCamilla at No. 4 singles, 6-2, 6-3. Bechliwanis improves to 15-6 overall on the season, and is 3-1 in ACC matches. She is tied with Williams for the team lead in ACC singles wins. Marta Bechliwanis picked up her team-best 18th victory of the season with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Chloe Chavardes at No. 5 singles. At No. 2 doubles, the Bechliwanis twins defeated DeCamilla and Jedrezejak, 6-3, 6-2, for their first ACC win of the season.
Christine Kim closed the match out with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Monica Villarreal at No. 6 singles. It's Kim's first ACC win of the season since filling in for Laura James.
The Cavaliers have two more regular season matches as they travel to N.C. State on April 13 and Wake Forest on April 14, before competing in the ACC Championships on April 18-21.
No. 70 Virginia 5 Maryland 2
1. Henriette Williams (UVa) def. No. 99 Emily Marker (UMd), 6-4, 6-3
2. Pamela Floro (UMd) def. No. 100 Jennifer Tuchband (UVa), 7-5, 6-2
3. Marta Jedrzejak (UMd) def. Amy O'Donnell (UVa), 6-4, 7-5
4. Dora Bechliwanis (UVa) def. Emily DeCamilla (UMd), 6-2, 6-3
5. Marta Bechliwanis (UVa) def. Chloe Chavardes (UMd), 6-3, 7-5
6. Christine Kim (UVa) def. Monica Villarreal (UMd), 6-3, 6-2
1. Williams/Tuchband (UVa) def. No. 51 Causevic/Marker (UMd), 9-7
2. D. & M. Bechliwanis (UVa) def. DeCamilla/Jedrzejak (UMd), 8-6
3. Chavardes/Floro (UMd) def. O'Donnell/Kim (UVa), 9-7