April 21, 2006
CARY, N.C. -
The Virginia women's tennis team had its run at the 2006 ACC Tournament stopped by No. 9 ranked Miami, falling to the Hurricanes 4-0 Friday afternoon at the Cary Tennis Center. The Cavaliers fall to 13-9 on the season with the loss, while the Hurricanes advance to the semifinals where they will play Duke.
The Hurricanes took an early lead by winning the doubles point. The No. 17 ranked team of Kristen James (Clifton, Va.) and Lori Stern (Ojai, Calif.) took an early 3-0 lead on No. 3 ranked Melissa Applebaum and Audra Cohen before the Miami duo rallied for an 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles. Patricia Starzyk and Caren Seenauth also won for Miami, topping Douglas Wink (Greensboro, N.C.) and Caroline Hammond (Williamsburg, Va.) at No. 3 doubles.
In singles, the Hurricanes started strong, winning five of six first sets, with only Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) winning a first set for Virginia. The Miami advantage increased to 2-0 as Cohen, the ACC Player of the Year, downed Wink at No. 1 singles. Monika Dancevic made the score 3-0 as she topped James at No. 3 singles. Audrey Banada clinched the match for Miami with her win over Stern at the No. 4 position. The final three matches were abandoned.
"This weekend is still a positive step in the progress of this program," said Virginia head coach Mark Guilbeau. "To win in the first round I thought was a big step. Facing a great Miami team today is a really good experience for our kids and will help in the future, both later this year and next year. We were really impressed with Miami and wish them luck as they move ahead in the tournament."
Virginia will now await their bid to the NCAA Tournament. The 64-team field will be announced on May 3.
No. 9 Miami 4, No. 26 Virginia 0
1) #3 Applebaum/Cohen (UM) def. #17 Stern/James (UVa) 8-4
2) DelPriore/Alexander (UVa) vs. #48 Dancevic/Banada (UM) 7-7 DNF
3) Seenauth/Starzyk (UM) def. Wink/Hammond (UVa) 8-5
1) #2 Audra Cohen (UM) def. Douglas Wink (UVa) 6-0, 6-1
2) #83 Melissa Applebaum (UM) led Rachel DelPriore (UVa) 6-3, 4-5 DNF
3) Monika Dancevic (UM) def. #116 Kristen James (UVa) 6-2, 6-1
4) Audrey Banada (UM) def. Lori Stern (UVa) 6-3, 6-2
5) Lindsey Pereira (UVa) led Patricia Starzyk (UM) 6-2, 2-5 DNF
6) Caren Seenauth (UM) led Caroline Hammond (UVa) 6-2, 4-5 DNF