May 10, 2003
KNOXVILLE, TENN. -
The University of Virginia women's tennis team advanced to the second round of the 2003 NCAA Tournament by defeating Ohio State 4-0 Saturday at the UT Varsity Courts on the campus of the University of Tennessee. The win marks the second NCAA tournament win in the program's history as the Cavaliers make their second NCAA second round appearance.
The Cavaliers (16-9) started the match strong by taking the doubles point for a 1-0 lead. After the Buckeye duo of Lindsey Adams and Meaghan Colville won at No. 3 doubles, the Cavaliers won the other two matches to capture the point. The No. 44 ranked team of Kristen James (Clifton, Va.) and Lori Stern (Ojai, Calif.) won at No. 2 doubles 8-2 over Erica Fisk and Jackie Leskovar seconds before the No. 38 ranked team of Henriette Williams (Raleigh, N.C.) and Jennifer Tuchband (Millburn, N.J.) clinched the point with a 8-5 win over Sadhaf Pervez and Lindsay Williams at No. 1 doubles.
Virginia carried the momentum they gained in doubles into singles play. First-year Lori Stern celebrated her 19th birthday by defeating Lindsay Williams 6-2, 6-1 at No. 4 singles. Fellow first-year Kristen James made it a 3-0 Virginia lead a short time later with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Jackie Leskovar at No. 3 singles. Fourth-year Jennifer Tuchband clinched the match at No. 2 doubles, as she defeated Erica Fisk 6-1, 6-2.
"I thought we brought a great effort today," stated Virginia head coach Phil Rogers. "I was a little worried how we would play after a three-week layoff, but from the first point we were focused and played quality tennis. After strong doubles play, we followed it up with six great singles matches. I am very proud of the way we played today."
No. 25-28 seeded Virginia will play No. 7 seed Tennessee on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. Ohio State finishes the season with a 12-12 record.
No. 25-28 Virginia 4, No. 33-48 Ohio State 0
1. No. 38 Tuchband/Williams (UVa) def. Pervez/Williams (OSU) 8-5
2. No. 44 K. James/Stern (UVa) def. Fisk/Leskovar (OSU) 8-2
3. Adams/Colville (OSU) def. Bruch/Montgomery (UVa) 8-5
1. No. 100 Henriette Williams (UVa) led No. 86 Sadhaf Pervez (OSU) 6-3, 1-2 DNF
2. No. 70 Jennifer Tuchband (UVa) def. Erica Fisk (OSU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Kristen James (UVa) def. Jackie Leskovar (OSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Lori Stern (UVa) def. Lindsay Williams (OSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Dora Bechliwanis (UVa) vs. Emily DeCamilla (OSU) 1-6, 6-2 DNF
6. Marta Bechliwanis (UVa) led Lindsay Bryan (OSU) 6-1, 4-1 DNF