FRESNO, Calif. –
The No. 26 Virginia women’s tennis team suffered its first loss of the season, falling to No. 25 Florida State 4-2 Saturday in a first round match at the Fresno ITA Regional. The Cavaliers will meet either Ohio State or host Fresno State in the consolation match on Sunday.
"We are all disappointed with the result," said Virginia head coach Mark Guilbeau. "We got off to a great start in doubles, but give Florida State credit for how they played in singles. We need to come back tomorrow and rebound against another tough opponent in either Ohio State or Fresno State. We can learn a lot from today's match, and as the team has mentioned, we need to raise our level every day in practice so we can come out on the winning end of matches like these."
Virginia (2-1) got off to a strong start, winning the doubles point. Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) and Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) topped Federica Suess and Katie Rybakova 8-2 at No. 2 doubles. At No. 1 doubles, Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) and Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) sealed the opening point for the Cavaliers with their 8-5 win over Lauren McCreless and Francesca Segarelli.
The Seminoles (1-1) rallied in singles, taking a 3-1 lead as Rybakova won at No. 2, Jessica Sucupira won at No. 6 and Segarelli won at No. 3. Virginia cut the lead to 3-2 as Fraser defeated No. 115 Amy Sargeant 7-5, 6-2 at No. 4. Florida State clinched the match at No. 5 as Suess edged Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) 7-5, 7-6.
Following Sunday’s match against either Ohio State or Florida State, the Cavaliers will return home for a pair of matches next weekend. Virginia will host Winthrop on Friday and Ohio State on Sunday. No. 25 Florida State 4, No. 26 Virginia 2
1. Fraser/Stevens (UVa) def. McCreless/Segarelli (FSU) 8-5
2. Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Suess/Rybakova (FSU) 8-2
3. Vaez/Tomljanovic (UVa) led Sucupira/Sargeant (FSU) 6-5 DNF
1. #23 Lauren McCreless (FSU) led #72 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 6-4, 5-4 DNF
2. Katie Rybakova (FSU) def. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) 6-4, 6-1
3. #62 Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Erin Vierra (UVa) 6-3, 6-3
4. Emily Fraser (UVa) def. #115 Amy Sargeant (FSU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Federica Suess (FSU) def. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) 7-5, 7-6 (2)
6. Jessica Sucupira (FSU) def. Katie Gater (UVa) 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: