CORAL GABLES, Fla.
The No. 28 Virginia women’s tennis team rebounded from its first loss of the season with a 5-2 win over No. 47 Utah in a ITA National Indoor qualifying consolation match at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. After winning the doubles point, the Cavaliers (3-1) took four of the six singles matches.
“It is good to leave this weekend with a win,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “It was a hard fought match, especially in singles. Once again, I was very impressed with our doubles, but give Utah credit, they battled in singles. We were able to close out some key sets to win the match and that is a positive. We knew this weekend was a great opportunity for us and we hope that the next time we are presented with an opportunity like this, we can take advantage of it.”
The Cavaliers jumped out to a 1-0 lead by sweeping the three doubles matches. Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) and Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) topped Anastasia Putilina and Lisa Johnson 8-1 at No. 1 doubles. At No. 2 doubles, Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md.) and Neela Vaez (Perrysburg, Ohio) topped Leigh Walsh and Evgenia Kryuchkova 8-1. Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.) completed the sweep with their 8-2 win at No. 3 over Erin Monson and Karine Bourdages.
In singles, the Cavaliers doubled their lead with Fraser’s 6-0, 6-1 win over Johnson at No. 4 singles. That lead became 3-0 as Rales topped Kryuchkova 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 2 position. Vaez then clinched the match with her 6-4, 6-1 win over Lexi Provancha at No. 6 singles. Karoline Steiro (Oslo, Norway) recorded her first Cavalier win with her 7-5, 6-3 win at No. 5 against Walsh.
Virginia will resume its road trip next weekend as it visits Ohio State on Friday and Tennessee on Sunday.
No. 28 Virginia 5, No. 47 Utah 2
1. #32 Fraser/Stevens (UVa) def. Putilina/Johnson (Utah) 8-1
2. Rales/Vaez (UVa) def. Walsh/Kryuchkova (Utah) 8-1
3. Hardenbergh/Yahner (UVa) def. Monson/Bourdages (Utah) 8-2
1. Anastasia Putilina (Utah) def. #42 Jennifer Stevens (UVa) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
2. Amanda Rales (UVa) def. Evgenia Kryuchkova (Utah) 6-3, 6-0
3. Erin Monson (Utah) def. Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 6-4, 1-6, 10-5
4. #82 Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Lisa Johnson (Utah) 6-0, 6-1
5. Karoline Steiro (UVa) def. Leigh Walsh (Utah) 7-5, 6-3
6. Neela Vaez (UVa) def. Lexi Provancha (Utah) 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish